Welcome to College Football 2024!

Again though, how many people agree to go to a place to perform their particular skill set (for most of us tho is called a job, for students it is a particular school) without knowing what type of compensation they are offering and what type of befits package they are offering as well? Most people I the full time working world receive both a salary (or hourly pay grade) couple with a benefit package consistent of insurance (medical, dental, eye, pharmacy, etc…) as well as vacation time and often (though I get not always) retirement how is a player benefitting outside of school from NIL (salary aspect) and receiving a scholarship, etc from school they are signing with (benefits aspect) any different?

I would dare say no one would be willing to accept any such opportunity (job/school {even which major to choose once at school}) without knowing those things. That would be the irony of moronic to accept an offer for an opportunity sight unseen.

However, honestly though a more accurate representation of NIL vs. scholarship & school benefits is the school benefits are equivocal to salary at a profession & NIL is equivocal to endorsements. The Michael Jordan’s, Peyton Manning’s & others of the world make more in endorsements than anything else due to their NIL developed while performing within their profession. As a student coming to college their NIL has nothing to do with their performance on a collegiate field… it has to do with the name, image & likeness they have already developed with their playing high school, 7-on-7, camps etc.
I agree. Point being from my first post about kids are finally getting paid is. They’ve been getting paid. IE, a scholly, just now that NIL is “legal” and kids can make money off that, which is fine with me. A scholarship is a payment for a student-athlete to come play at such and such university. With extra benefits most other students don’t get.

And what credibility do you have? You’re own!! You are making up your own crap and throwing it to see if it sticks. I didn’t say anything about salary and NIL endorsements being the same. You are just flailing for something that isn’t there. Go try and see if someone else is gonna buy your crap.
Actually, you said that scholarships are pay.
They aren't.

You said that players that get NIL shouldn't get scholarships. That's bogus and beyond silly.

You ignore that what you want would ensure that any school that did it would lose the best players to schools that didn't do it.

I have the law, good business practices, and current reality in my side.

You have none of the above.

Fortunately, no one in UT's administration, the UT athletic department, or any of the NIL collectives that support the Vols are going to listen to you.

Duh.

They aren't.

You said that players that get NIL shouldn't get scholarships. That's bogus and beyond silly.

You ignore that what you want would ensure that any school that did it would lose the best players to schools that didn't do it.

Fortunately, no one in UT's administration, the UT athletic department, or any of the NIL collectives that support the Vols are going to listen to you.

Duh.
Oh I bet they are knocking your door down for your wealth of knowledge. I said schollys are a form of payment, meaning you come to our school, we pay for your education and all the extras. I also said that I think if players are getting high six figures in NIL, why shouldn’t they pay for their education. You twisted and stirred your own bull crap agenda. Thought you were smart and tried to force your dumb foolery on someone else.

Reactions: volfan102455
I agree. Point being from my first post about kids are finally getting paid is. They’ve been getting paid. IE, a scholly, just now that NIL is “legal” and kids can make money off that, which is fine with me. A scholarship is a payment for a student-athlete to come play at such and such university. With extra benefits most other students don’t get.
I agree, and there are multiple ways to obtain scholarships. Most students who receive those outside of athletics (music, art, academia, etc.) are able to obtain paying jobs while in school to obtain extra cash; athletes don’t typically have that luxury and yet the university is able to bring in some of their largest profits from the athletic programs; so I believe the universities should provide the scholarships to cover the education for students coming in for athletics for the “advertising” the student will be doing for them nationally as an athlete & the students should be able to benefit from NIL “endorsements” as an outside income too. I’m just glad it now has to all be above board, as opposed to the under the table BS that was going on previously (Johnny Manziel basically just offered up Alabama, LSU and A&M on platter for misappropriation during the previous rules… everybody knew it, but the corruption within the NCAA turned a blind eye to certain programs; which one could probably argue if they dug hard enough, was likely due to monetary compensation from those schools to the NCAA to continually turn the blind eye. Now the playing field is leveled.

So, I get that the players want a piece of the pie but, do you not think part of that pie are the scholarships? If it weren't for the schools, how would any of these kids get noticed, seems like the athletes need to be paying the schools for advertising.
I think the market has spoken for decades and decades that the scholarship wasn't a big enough piece of the pie. Teams paid players beyond the scholarship, so why? Because the teams accepted the scholarship wasn't a big enough piece of the pie. That's just how America works. If labor is valuable enough, they get paid more.

The courts decided: These guys have a multi-billion dollar sports enterprise with a bunch of schools all colluding to not pay market value to their labor? Nah, that's not how America works.

So, yeah. The scholarship IS worth something but the players are worth more.

We see it all the time in labor. If service quality drops because a service industry is short staffed, pay will go up or efficiencies in production will be found that don't involve labor.

Skilled athletes are difficult to find and tough to replace via efficiencies, so they get paid well.

Competition is good. The free market is good. Making money is good. What's the problem?

Performance has zero to do with it. Nico reeling in millions of dollars before he even puts on a college jersey. I’m saying the kids are already getting paid by receiving a scholarship and extra benefits the UNIVERSITY is providing. If the NIL thing is the way they want the money. Then They should pay for their education.
I don't disagree with your take on the NIL here. But I will tell you what will happen if that tactic is tried. Most players will go elsewhere. Plus not all of them earn enough money to cover pay your own way college expenses, so away they go. Recruiting would take a massive hit as well.

Dr. Pay Your Own Way; Hey baby, it's been nine months and two weeks now. Come on out of mommy's womb.
Baby: No sir, no sir, I won't be born down here. No sir, I won't, I won't be born down here.

Oh I bet they are knocking your door down for your wealth of knowledge. I said schollys are a form of payment, meaning you come to our school, we pay for your education and all the extras. I also said that I think if players are getting high six figures in NIL, why shouldn’t they pay for their education. You twisted and stirred your own bull crap agenda. Thought you were smart and tried to force your dumb foolery on someone else.

And you're still confused AF. You still are insisting that a scholarship is payment. It absolutely is not.

Your argument against punishing players that get NIL is bogus and illegal.

I didn't twist anything. My agenda is truth, fact, and reality. Obviously yours is not.

Again, no one in UT administration or the athletic department is listening to you, nor will they. Duh.

I understand that quite well. There are some people here that don't get it, and that want to restrict it and punish young athletes for simply getting fair market value for their NIL endorsements.

Apparently they feel entitled to continue the corrupt system that the courts are shutting down. It's appalling that anyone would defend that. It's equally appalling that anyone would support an antitrust exemption for that horrible system.

I'm very pleased that the University of Tennessee and the State of Tennessee are leading the charge into the future. It boxes well for the University's sports programs.

It's easy to point out that Florida, Miami, and FSU all buckled to the NCAA on the NIL issue shortly before Tennessee cleaned the CAA's click in federal court. Great recruiting tool!
I am not against athletes getting paid, you won't find any examples of me arguing against that, the question of an antitrust exemption is more complicated though. The sort of exemption most likely to pass would be some sort of conditional/partial exemption, requiring for example, that a large percentage of the TV money be used for revenue sharing with the players including stipends and long term health insurance/pensions for injuries incurred in the playing of the game and in exchange the NCAA or some new body would have rule making authority to set enforceable conditions for those who voluntarily choose to participate in college athletics. There is going to be a STRONG motivation on behalf of politicians to save the non-revenue sports, particularly women's sports, and that is what will ultimately drive a compromise.

I am not against athletes getting paid, you won't find any examples of me arguing against that, the question of an antitrust exemption is more complicated though. The sort of exemption most likely to pass would be some sort of conditional/partial exemption, requiring for example, that a large percentage of the TV money be used for revenue sharing with the players including stipends and long term health insurance/pensions for injuries incurred in the playing of the game and in exchange the NCAA or some new body would have rule making authority to set enforceable conditions for those who voluntarily choose to participate in college athletics. There is going to be a STRONG motivation on behalf of politicians to save the non-revenue sports, particularly women's sports, and that is what will ultimately drive a compromise.
It is unlikely that the NCAA will get an anti-trust exemption, ever. Certainly not in an election year.

Tuberville's bill can't even get out of committee.

There simply isn't enough support for it in the Senate.

And you're still confused AF. You still are insisting that a scholarship is payment. It absolutely is not.

A scholarship is something they receive by agreeing to participate in a sport at the university. Tell those students that end up with loans they struggle to pay back that is not worth anything.

Companies sometimes pay for the education for future employees. JROTC programs do the same thing.

A scholarship is something they receive by agreeing to participate in a sport at the university. Tell those students that end up with loans they struggle to pay back that is not worth anything.

Companies sometimes pay for the education for future employees. JROTC programs do the same thing.

Regardless, it's not anything like fair market value, considering the tens of millions of dollars the athletes - especially the football - players -bring to the dchola.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Regardless, it's not anything like fair market value, considering the tens of millions of dollars the athletes - especially the football - players -bring to the dchola.
Let's be honest - fans of UT Football would be attending UT Football games regardless of who is playing on the team. Those who watch on TV would be watching regardless of who is playing on the team. Merchandise will be sold regardless of who is playing on the team. Tennessee is a NAME brand of its own.

Most players are going to play a maximum of 3 years if they stay - then the fans move on to the next player. It is not like these players are franchise NFL players that could be with a team 15 years or so. They will do their time, a handful of them may become a legend - most will not - and they will move on to the next thing. A player like Manning will be far and few between. And the players like that will use their time at UT to propel them to greater things.

They receive a free education, free exposure - and if they are worth it, a chance to become that franchise player in the NFL. That is not pocket change for a 18-21 year old for 3 years of being at a university.

The pay me before I even do anything of importance for you is just greed.

Let's be honest - fans of UT Football would be attending UT Football games regardless of who is playing on the team. Those who watch on TV would be watching regardless of who is playing on the team. Merchandise will be sold regardless of who is playing on the team. Tennessee is a NAME brand of its own.

Most players are going to play a maximum of 3 years if they stay - then the fans move on to the next player. It is not like these players are franchise NFL players that could be with a team 15 years or so. They will do their time, a handful of them may become a legend - most will not - and they will move on to the next thing. A player like Manning will be far and few between. And the players like that will use their time at UT to propel them to greater things.

They receive a free education, free exposure - and if they are worth it, a chance to become that franchise player in the NFL. That is not pocket change for a 18-21 year old for 3 years of being at a university.

The pay me before I even do anything of importance for you is just greed.
Was Peyton Manning greedy when he got an $11M bonus, just for signing, with the Colts?

Further, did his value increase dramatically because he got nothing from UT except a scholarship just months before?

The fact is: these athletes are more valuable than the scholarship (which IS valuable) and the NIL just proves that.

You label it greed but the players are OFFERED this money. Since when am I greedy if multiple people are willing to pay me for my services?

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
They aren't.

Duh.

There's that, but an AMG Mercedes probably the street cred of money or something.

Honestly, I'm happier that it's not a Hellcat or something ridiculous.
Good point! It does look nice having some athletes in nice luxury cars, better look than a dodge charger for sure. Could be worse. But damn if we gave out old school impalas, cutlasses, would save a lot of $$ and look better imo!

Y’all that are complaining about college NIL, you do realize the majority of states allow NIL for high school athletes? They will be, and already are in some cases, making more than their teachers. This is only the beginning and if you are upset with it currently then you will start to get even more upset as time goes by. I find it best to just worry about myself and not pay attention to what other people are doing with money. I’m not going to get mad at anyone that is making money as long as they aren’t involved in criminal activities that allowed them to gain said money.

Y’all that are complaining about college NIL, you do realize the majority of states allow NIL for high school athletes? They will be, and already are in some cases, making more than their teachers. This is only the beginning and if you are upset with it currently then you will start to get even more upset as time goes by. I find it best to just worry about myself and not pay attention to what other people are doing with money. I’m not going to get mad at anyone that is making money as long as they aren’t involved in criminal activities that allowed them to gain said money.
Well said.

NIL isn't good for college athletics and will probably help lead to big changes of employee status, an Antitrust Exemption for colleges, and/or big changes in how athletic revenue is handled in college.

NIL, however, is not going to be legally negotiable unless the courts have a major shift in Constitutional interpretation.

Those of us that are "old heads" have complained about young people getting into trouble, running the streets, etc and being lazy. Along come these elite athletes who've developed sought after skills, stayed reasonably out of trouble, and provide enjoyable entertainment and some people call them greedy for being offered money.

They did it right. They have the skills, honed the skills, get offered money to exhibit those skills and STILL "they are just greedy." What do these people WANT from these kids?

Unlike the greed that the schools, the conferences, and the NCAA used to make millions on the athletes' backs, fur decades, while the kids could t accept a free cheeseburger?

Unlike the greed that the schools, the conferences, and the NCAA used to make millions on the athletes' backs, fur decades, while the kids could t accept a free cheeseburger?
It’s definitely hypocritical but I do understand the mentality to a degree. People have loved college athletics because of the predictability of the roster. The problem is that what created all that order and stability was patently illegal so a new normal has to now shake out.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
It’s definitely hypocritical but I do understand the mentality to a degree. People have loved college athletics because of the predictability of the roster. The problem is that what created all that order and stability was patently illegal so a new normal has to now shake out.
Exactly.

Well said.

NIL isn't good for college athletics and will probably help lead to big changes of employee status, an Antitrust Exemption for colleges, and/or big changes in how athletic revenue is handled in college.

NIL, however, is not going to be legally negotiable unless the courts have a major shift in Constitutional interpretation.

Those of us that are "old heads" have complained about young people getting into trouble, running the streets, etc and being lazy. Along come these elite athletes who've developed sought after skills, stayed reasonably out of trouble, and provide enjoyable entertainment and some people call them greedy for being offered money.

They did it right. They have the skills, honed the skills, get offered money to exhibit those skills and STILL "they are just greedy." What do these people WANT from these kids?
I always give the example of “If it were your son/daughter, would you be alright with them legally making money and providing for themselves and their future family?” If my child can go out there and take advantage of their gift then I don’t have any qualms with it. If someone else is willing to pay them, I don’t care. It’s not my money. It’s one less thing for me to worry about, to make sure they are taken care of whenever I leave this world. We all want our children to be the best they can be at whatever they choose to be. I think if people starting looking at it as these are people’s children that are growing up financially stable then they might think differently about it.

I always give the example of “If it were your son/daughter, would you be alright with them legally making money and providing for themselves and their future family?” If my child can go out there and take advantage of their gift then I don’t have any qualms with it. If someone else is willing to pay them, I don’t care. It’s not my money. It’s one less thing for me to worry about, to make sure they are taken care of whenever I leave this world. We all want our children to be the best they can be at whatever they choose to be. I think if people starting looking at it as these are people’s children that are growing up financially stable then they might think differently about it.
There's a lot of "these kids don't know what to do with the money" feeling here.

That's probably true but we don't know that 100% for sure and even if they make money, then blow it, there's little harm unless they make a serious, Henry Ruggs type stupid move. Other than that, at least they have had the experience of working hard and having it pay off, even if they were dumb with their cash.

I recall Shaq saying he spent $1M one day after he got his NBA contract. He learned and he's successful. If nothing else, these kids learn a life lesson.

I think there's a lot of jealous old guys in here hiding behind "the scholarship is enough" (when it's not been enough in years) and "they'll have to pay taxes" (duh, who doesn't?) and "they will blow the money" (and, so what if they do?)

Reactions: VolPack22
Everybody made money off of college football except the players.
Not true. Players were given a college education, lodging and meals valued at > $200K at most D-1 schools. Most players won't get more than that even with NIL as it now stands. Matthews just showed he's not mature enough to have the money given him. When you get a large sum of money, you invest it and live off a portion of the income from that investment. If he doesn't go pro, he'll be broke in under 10 years.

"Financially stable" is the key. It looks like Matthews just blew $100K on a car. STUPID! The car is now worth about $80K. He just lost $20K. What makes you think he's going to make the decisions to be "financially stable"? If he doesn't go pro, he'll be flat broke in less than 10 yrs. and his car will be worth about $15K if he takes really good care of it.

VN Store

Back