What did you have for dinner II?

Just don't say that you put ketchup on a hot dog in the Zone like I did, and there is an old thread about it, but you will get pounced on
If you do....lol, but I do like ketchup on hot dogs :).
Haha 😄 yeah, you have to be careful heading around those parts. For sure though, ketchup is by far my favorite condiment.

The story of the American chili dog begins with Greek immigrants. Newly immigrated from Greece, some took to selling hot dogs from carts on Coney Island. At home, these folk used a tomato-beef sauce in pastitsio, moussaka, and other dishes. One had the idea of serving this sauce atop hot dogs. It caught on. Other Greek vendors followed. Customers thought the highly seasoned sauce was chili. Thus, the chili dog was born, spread across the country, and became an American icon.

Baloney is another bit of Americana that comes from immigrants. Italians from Bolagna and the Emilia-Romagna region missed their regional specialty, Mortadella. They approached German immigrants who had established themselves in butchery and sausage making to replicate their beloved mortadella. The German butchers were successful. Soon enough, other customers were demanding this sausage. The Germans called it Balogna, after the former home of the Italian immigrants who had asked them to reproduce it. Bolagna became baloney, and Oscar Meyer’s company helped to spread it across America.

The story of the American chili dog begins with Greek immigrants. Newly immigrated from Greece, some took to selling hot dogs from carts on Coney Island. At home, these folk used a tomato-beef sauce in pastitsio, moussaka, and other dishes. One had the idea of serving this sauce atop hot dogs. It caught on. Other Greek vendors followed. Customers thought the highly seasoned sauce was chili. Thus, the chili dog was born, spread across the country, and became an American icon.

The History of Food on the History Channel did an episode on the history of Nathan's Hot Dogs on Coney Island.

10pc nuggets and fries from McDonald’s. I’ll be cooking a lot tomorrow so went for a chill day in pj’s. I found a good local butcher shop I got my prime rib roast from and picked up some ground bison, cottage bacon and house made pastrami I put to good use this week. We had bison chili, Reubens and greens/beans.

VN Store

Back