What did you have for dinner II?

We have a place called universal joint in Clayton
It's a small chain out of Georgia, so it might be the same thing. Pretty much just fancy bar food.

I enjoy the name, because the running joke in Asheville - which is also pretty much absolutely true - is that every Asheville restaurant, both informal and formal, is in a building that was originally a gas station. Lotsa windows that are actually glass pull-up garage doors. And so Part II of this joke is: Q: What happens to the building when an Asheville restaurant goes out of business?A: it becomes a gas station.

photo1jpg.jpg

It's a small chain out of Georgia, so it might be the same thing. Pretty much just fancy bar food.

I enjoy the name, because the running joke in Asheville - which is also pretty much absolutely true - is that every Asheville restaurant, both informal and formal, is in a building that was originally a gas station. Lotsa windows that are actually glass pull-up garage doors. And so Part II of this joke is: Q: What happens to the building when an Asheville restaurant goes out of business?A: it becomes a gas station.

photo1jpg.jpg
Try the pulled pork nachos if you get a chance, they're delicious

Standard Pizza (great pizza, with a pretty fiery red sauce), formerly a Standard Oil Co. gas station -> Esso -> Exxon:
standard-pizza-co-west-asheville.jpg

--and so forth.

PS: yes, in fact, it's not easy to buy gas in urban Asheville these days. One solution: The Brew Pump. It's a Citi Stop'n'Go gas station with the usual junk food on one side and a craft beer and draft/ tasting room on the other, and a beer garden complete with picnic tables and swings outside. Food trucks are there every day for those who can't live on Doritos alone. Two blocks from my house:

"The Brew Pump, located at the corner of Vermont Avenue and Haywood Road, has become a community hub and fits with West Asheville’s eclectic vibe. West Asheville is the funky side of town where you can be whoever you want to be and feel comfortable,” Best said. “The Brew Pump welcomes people from all over. We have a lot of folks who walk so they’re bringing their dogs and bringing their kids and strollers and it blends in with the whole funky attitude of West Asheville.”

AF1QipMAHMpKSmCgNOi2Q1ikOXwZM0bwH__VEats_-0=s1360-w1360-h1020

VN Store

Back