What do you guys think about the no huddle offense?

Clockwork Orange

Nick Saban and Arkansas coach Bielema have spoken against it. Coach Bielema recently proposed for a rule against it citing major strain on the opposing safety and d-line for rules against switching defensive players during the hurry up.

Y! SPORTS

Quote from Arkansas Coach Bielema
Not to get on the coattails of some of the other coaches, there is a lot of truth that the way offensive philosophies are driven now, there's times where you can't get a defensive substitution in for 8, 10, 12 play drives," Bielema said, according to AL.com. "That has an effect on safety of that student-athlete, especially the bigger defensive linemen, that is really real."

Both of those coaches prefer the style of controlling the ball with sustained drives and get em off the field type aproach. While Texas A&M, Auburn and our coach Jones prefer the no huddle approach.

Are you for it or against it?

Last edited:
Nick Saban and Arkansas coach Bielema have spoken against it. Coach Bielema recently proposed for a rule against it citing major strain on the opposing safety and d-line for rules against switching defensive players during the hurry up.

Y! SPORTS

Both of those coaches prefer the style of controlling the ball with sustained drives and get em off the field type aproach. While Texas A&M, Auburn and our coach Jones prefer the no huddle approach.

I'm for it. It makes you have to work on endurance and mental focus on the defensive side of the ball. We see how effective it is for other teams to run the up tempo styles. I'm one of the few that think we will shock a couple teams with that style of play. Not gonna just be smash mouth football anymore.

Reactions: 3 people
Funny, I've never heard Saban opine for a rule banning over-recruiting, grayshirting, telling a young recruit on NSD that their services are no longer needed because a higher-rated recruit decided to sign with Bama, etc. :no:

Reactions: 10 people
If they don't like it, that's what we should do.

1 to piss saban off.
2 because he doesn't like it so he's probably not as good defending it.
3 because the players get tired on D

Reactions: 4 people
Peyton has spoken about how much he favors the no huddle. Good enough for him, good for me.

Whatever as far as Sabs and Bielema. Arrogant arses only speaking against it cause its in their best interest to have it eliminated. They should both sthu.

Reactions: 7 people
Of course Saban doesn't like it because Texas A&M offense gave his defense fits last year.

I'm for it. I will say that you need a good defense with good depth for it be effective in the sec.

Reactions: 1 person
My personal preference is for a ball control, smash mouth offense but there is no denying with a talented offense the no huddle is very effective. The whole point is tire out the defense and not allow substitutions, if a coach is worried about their defense they should call a time out for substitutions. To me it is just another tactical coaching decision.

Y! SPORTS

Saban is always whining about something so I don't give crap what he thinks. No huddle offense are always effective and it's going to be interesting to see how our team uses it this year.

I love it. It's like the full court press in basket ball it wears the other team down mentally and physically. It's also exciting to watch when it's clicking 100%. When it's not working it can end up tiring out your defense with all the quick 3 and outs/turnovers.

Y! SPORTS

A quote from an ESPN analyst,

"The offense is going just as fast as the defense, Why is it just defense safety if everyone is going at the same pace?"

"It's the coaches job to have their players in shape for whatever speed the game calls for."

"I think it has more to do with not having enough time to call the defense, then it does player safety."

I agree 100% with him

No huddle puts pressure on the defense, so naturally the defense doesn't like it. It brings a double edged sword to the game in our conference that has great defensive play. If you can keep moving the chains, great! If you go 3 and out in 35 seconds then it's bad for you. Personally, I like it. I'll like it even more if our team can run it well.

I like no huddle, but not the fast version of it. I think the hurry up has a lot of landmines.

Y! SPORTS

Saban doesn't like it because it's his own kryptonite. He can't get his defense in place to stop it. A&M killed him with it, Auburn dominated the entire second half with it, and Utah gave them a beating with it as well. Saban has trouble against a spread offense, and it's been proven on several occasions. It's as if he can't make the proper in-game adjustments. Believe it or not, if we play smart football and limit mistakes, we might have a fair shot against them this year. If our defense is improved of course. Not saying we beat Bama by no means, but it could be a closely contested game.

I just don't care. It is a weapon that can be used for or against you. It is within the rules and yet is not required. It's a coaching decision to use it and a coaching decision to learn to stop it.

Saban should just stop making excuses and ask for the rule change he really wants: "Outlaw any other team beating us."

He's looking for an excuse to cut out the very thing that gives him fits. It's not about player safety. It's about the game evolving to combat his system, and he doesn't like it.

i love it takes the depth away from the D and also wears down the D if they can move the chains with it then it will only help our O get mis matches etc. if UT can get the spread down like oregon then will be in pretty good shape a few years down the road when ut has the " personal" for the spread!

The super hurry up is in need of serious regulation. Defenses should have an opportunity to play situational downs and get the personal they choose. Until it happens, Bama is not just moaning about it. They are practicing their version of the hurry up defense. Getting calls in earlier and having personal on the field that goes the distance.

Implying that Bama can't defend the hurry up spread is idiotic at best. Alabama has the last three of four NC's folks. If you are halfway paying attention, you should appreciate spread teams are a lot more focused on stopping our power, balanced offense. LSU, who is also running a power, pro-formation, is the team that has been the thorn in our side. Bama is running the hurry up offense as well. The different being, unlike these spread offenses, we ain't running the spread defense along with it.

VN Store

Back