What do you guys think about the no huddle offense?

That is summarily untrue. The outcome ended differently against Bama who the aggies beat. Their offense got better as the season progressed. I have a feeling the other two games would have turned out differently had they been played later in the year as aTm got better. The Aggies gave Florida all they wanted, and very early in the season.

it's not untrue in any way shape or form.

they played florida in september and were shut out in the second half

they played lsu in october and scored 7 in the second half

they played alabama in november and scored 9 points in the final three quarters after scoring td's on their first 3 possessions.

3 different games in 3 different months with a combined 16 second half points...total.

Last edited:
Alabama wins because it has the best players, not because of x's and o's, the same can be said about LSU.

A team with less talented players has to find a way to counter that, the hurry up offense could help in that regard.

A fair and honest answer. To level the playing field. So why wouldn't the better teams, with the better talent and in most cases, the better coaches, want the same thing? Why shouldn't the most talented team win? It's the American way.

As far as X's and O's go, it certainly matters. 12 teams on that schedule, you had better be running some scheme that lets you match up with 12 different philosophies on offense and defense. If Butch thinks the spread O and D is the way to go, great. Deal the cards.

if they need a rest or bring subs in they can uses timeouts.

Which is another advantage of the no huddle. If they force you to use up your time outs early, they have nothing left near the end of game time when they may really need timeouts. War strategy.

A fair and honest answer. To level the playing field. So why wouldn't the better teams, with the better talent and in most cases, the better coaches, want the same thing? Why shouldn't the most talented team win? It's the American way.

Then do away with coaches. Just put college players on the field and see what happens. Or better yet, award the MNC to the #1 recruiting class every year.

Talent + coaching usually = wins

As far as X's and O's go, it certainly matters. 12 teams on that schedule, you had better be running some scheme that lets you match up with 12 different philosophies on offense and defense. If Butch thinks the spread O and D is the way to go, great. Deal the cards.

Please tell me what a spread D is. That's twice you've mentioned it. Do you mean the 3-3-5? If so, this will not be our base defense.

I really couldn't give two dead flies about Satans or Enemas opinions regarding rule changes or anything else.

Reactions: 1 person
What difference does it make how he puts it? Other then his mere words seem to irritate orangeville, considerable.

The rules will catch up to the game, in time. Until then we'll just keep counting crystals until they can figure it out.

Rules will stay the same....Nick will live with it...maybe he can occupy himself by targeting the quick kick...that's out of control!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Please tell me what a spread D is. That's twice you've mentioned it. Do you mean the 3-3-5? If so, this will not be our base defense.

Coach Bryant was ask why he never ran a wide open offensive style, but stayed with a more ball control system. He basically said: Because it comes with a wide open defense. His belief was that lining up against offensive formations that constantly spread you, put you in bad habits. The belief you practice like you play.

I have watched the Oregons and Auburns and Big 12 and so many more. With very few exceptions, I believe.

Interesting how this thread is being dominated by Spawn of Saban....rooting interest?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

it's not untrue in any way shape or form.

they played florida in september and were shut out in the second half

they played lsu in october and scored 7 in the second half

they played alabama in november and scored 9 points in the final three quarters after scoring td's on their first 3 possessions.

3 different games in 3 different months with a combined 16 second half points...total.

You're still ignoring what you said, something to the effect of "the outcomes were the same". That is summarily untrue. The outcomes were different. aTm beat the eventual national championship team, a team with the statistical best defense in the NCAA. So, as I said, the outcomes WERE different making your initial statement untrue.

Here is what you are ignoring. Florida could be credited for stopping aTm in the second half because there was little video to prepare with. But, that is not true against LSU and Bama who had video to work with. IF your statement was true, that the spread can easily be adjusted for, then why couldn't Saban stop it with 10 game tapes to watch?

Florida ended the season with the 5th best defense, LSU with the 12th and Bama with the first. Yet, in each of those games A&M's scoring increased.

Also, while you can find numerical similarities, you can't ignore that as the season progressed aTm got better whereas Florida's season culminated in an emberrasment to Louisville. Explain to me how you believe that if the aTm game had come later in the season, that the same team who beat Bama would have still lost to the same team the lost to Louisville?

Last edited:
Coach Bryant was ask why he never ran a wide open offensive style, but stayed with a more ball control system. He basically said: Because it comes with a wide open defense. His belief was that lining up against offensive formations that constantly spread you, put you in bad habits. The belief you practice like you play.

I have watched the Oregons and Auburns and Big 12 and so many more. With very few exceptions, I believe.

You've watched spread teams with very few exceptions? You must be a fan of the spread.

So for you, it's less about talent and schemes, and the "spread defense" is just the product of how they practice. Do you think it may be that most spread teams are also the ones that can't recruit as well, and put their best talent on O? UF under Meyer had pretty good defenses. Was theirs a "spread D" also? Did they bring in other teams to practice against, to overcome your invention of the "spread defense" effect?

I bet Bryant would have predicted Bama would have beaten ATM last year. Or Auburn back when their "bad habit" spread defense held you in check for their O to wax you in the 2nd half a couple of years ago?

"Spread Defense". You should copy write that before everyone else starts using it.

Tennessee there are 132 Walmart stores and in Alabama there are 117. Face it amigo, the masses love them some Walmart. You can't stop us, you can only pretend to be disguise. But I see you.

There's nothing wrong with Walmart at all. However, displaying your national championship trophy at the local Walmart is a bit extreme, and only adds fuel to the fire of Redneck Alabama jokes.

You're still ignoring what you said, something to the effect of "the outcomes were the same". That is summarily untrue. The outcomes were different. aTm beat the eventual national championship team, a team with the statistical best defense in the NCAA. So, as I said, the outcomes WERE different making your initial statement untrue.

Also, while you can find numerical similarities, you can't ignore that as the season progressed aTm got better whereas Florida's season culminated in an emberrasment to Louisville. Explain to me how you believe that if the aTm game had come later in the season, that the same team who beat Bama would have still lost to the same team the lost to Louisville?

Interesting that a UF fan ignores the fact that Meyer's offenses were strong enough in 2nd half to win a couple of MNCs.

You're still ignoring what you said, something to the effect of "the outcomes were the same". That is summarily untrue. The outcomes were different. aTm beat the eventual national championship team, a team with the statistical best defense in the NCAA. 9 points in the second half against Bama is a helluva improvement over 0 points in the second half against Florida. So, as I said, the outcomes WERE different making your initial statement untrue.

TAMU lost to Florida, a pro-style attack at College Station. They lost to LSU, a pro-style attack, at College Station. You could correctly argue that TAMU's scheme failed to match up with the SEC teams on their schedule. If Tennessee is hanging their hat on TAMU's blueprint for success, you may find yourselves one Juan futbol short of victory.

Until we find a way to get the same kind of players that you get, we will not be able to beat you using the same scheme that you use. We have to use deception, up tempo, trick plays, spread formations, option plays, and other similar tactics, and of course, we have to develop toughness and mental strength that put the spartans to shame. It is the only way to beat you with lesser talent.:thumbsup:

That was awesome.

But to answer the question...No I don't like the no huddle offense. The reason being, I don't think it gives our own defense time to rest. They can run ball control offense from the no huddle and I hope that's what we do this year. If not, our D will suffer. But if that's what we're gonna run, then I'm with it.

That's the thing though . . . Just be ause you don't huddle doesn't mean that you have to hurry up.

Reactions: 1 person
You've watched spread teams with very few exceptions? You must be a fan of the spread.

So for you, it's less about talent and schemes, and the "spread defense" is just the product of how they practice. Do you think it may be that most spread teams are also the ones that can't recruit as well, and put their best talent on O? UF under Meyer had pretty good defenses. Was theirs a "spread D" also? Did they bring in other teams to practice against, to overcome your invention of the "spread defense" effect?

I bet Bryant would have predicted Bama would have beaten ATM last year. Or Auburn back when their "bad habit" spread defense held you in check for their O to wax you in the 2nd half a couple of years ago?

"Spread Defense". You should copy write that before everyone else starts using it.

Florida had their version of the spread, plenty of Florida guys over here that could give you their take on the defense. Would be interesting to hear. But I said, "with few exceptions." Florida ran a power spread, based on the Big back, Tebow attack. You weren't watching Oregon. I always felt the more conservative style lent itself to a more conservative defense. Plus the Talent level at Florida was ridiculous.

you are twisting everything here. i am not talking about wins and losses.

i am talking offensive performance. in 3 games against the best defenses a&m faced, they all had the same pattern.

unstoppable early, shut down (especially comparatively speaking) late.

there is nothing you have written that disputes any of that. the fact that texas a&m beat alabama has nothing to do with anything.

again, 1st half scoring against florida, lsu, and alabama was 49 points, 2nd half scoring.....16. they scored a total of 32 in the 1st quarter which is double what was scored in the 2nd half in those games combined.

But if the "hurry up" could help us, why not use it?

Of course we should use it if we can run it. I'm just not sold on hurrying up with a new offense with marginal skill guys and a defense that needs to be on the field as little as possible.

Until we find a way to get the same kind of players that you get, we will not be able to beat you using the same scheme that you use. We have to use deception, up tempo, trick plays, spread formations, option plays, and other similar tactics, and of course, we have to develop toughness and mental strength that put the spartans to shame. It is the only way to beat you with lesser talent.:thumbsup:

And Bama will lobby to keep the advantage in our court. But again, at least you're being honest about it. It will be interesting to see how Butch adjust to what he see's as time goes on.

VN Store

Back