What kind of snake is this?

Apologies to everyone who posted something 2 years ago that I just commented on. My B

Y'all just go join TN Snake ID on facebook lol
Hey, I did the same thing when I found this thread. You can also give "Snake id and amphibians of the Appalachians" Facebook group a try as well.

Reactions: SoilVol
Remember seeing a Gabon Viper at San Diego Zoo. I believe it has the longest fangs of any snake. Massive head. If I got hit by one of those my heart probably just stops on the spot before the poison could ever work.

Reactions: A.J.
Until they tear the house down. Those boys like to tear stuff up.

Some of you guys are pretty good herpetologists. My basic rule is leave them alone. The only exception was aviation survival training down at the Eglin AFB training range. We were so hungry two guys walked down a stream which made the moccasins come out. Got four of them. They don't taste like chicken.

I got a SERE snake, as well. Whole lotta work for not much meat. But moccasins can be fat I guess.

As C-south pointed out, a bite from an adult copperhead isn’t likely to be fatal for an adult human. Baby copperheads have more potent venom than the adults. Don’t handle baby copperheads.

Baby copperheads don’t have more potent venom. They have the same exact venom as an adult. Most think they don’t have as much experience controlling their venom (lots of venomous snake bites are dry bites), which leads to a higher % of actually receiving venom from a bite.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Baby copperheads don’t have more potent venom. They have the same exact venom as an adult. Most think they don’t have as much experience controlling their venom (lots of venomous snake bites are dry bites), which leads to a higher % of actually receiving venom from a bite.
[/QUOTE]
Also a myth. All venomous snakes have full control of their venom output. Juvenile copperheads can have a slightly different chemical makeup as an adult copperhead, but it's not demonstrably more toxic or anything.

At the end of the day, an adult can deliver a larger venom dose than a juvenile and is therefore more dangerous. But copperheads are mild when it comes to venomous snakes worldwide. IIRC, there hasn't been a deal attributed to a copperhead in TN in 10 years, and that was due to anaphylaxis. The individual was handling the snake and had been bitten by a copperhead before.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Baby copperheads don’t have more potent venom. They have the same exact venom as an adult. Most think they don’t have as much experience controlling their venom (lots of venomous snake bites are dry bites), which leads to a higher % of actually receiving venom from a bite.

Username checks out

I got a SERE snake, as well. Whole lotta work for not much meat. But moccasins can be fat I guess.

Seriously? At Warner Springs? i am freaking impressed. All I got were the prickly pear cactus berries.

Really short version of story. SEAL in my class. On land nav they had us in teams of 3. SEAL is on team with A-7 pilot and enlisted aircrewman. Supposed to get to destination NLT 6:00. It's 7:30 and no SEAL. They come walking in at 8:00 soaking wet. WET! Evidently the SEALs know the location of a cave with an underground lake but keep it to themselves. They had spent the whole 95 degree day laying in the water.

Seriously? At Warner Springs? i am freaking impressed. All I got were the prickly pear cactus berries.

Really short version of story. SEAL in my class. On land nav they had us in teams of 3. SEAL is on team with A-7 pilot and enlisted aircrewman. Supposed to get to destination NLT 6:00. It's 7:30 and no SEAL. They come walking in at 8:00 soaking wet. WET! Evidently the SEALs know the location of a cave with an underground lake but keep it to themselves. They had spent the whole 95 degree day laying in the water.

I’m an army helicopter guy. SERE for us is the woods around Ft Rucker.

I’m an army helicopter guy. SERE for us is the woods around Ft Rucker.

Thank you for your service. You guys do things that I didn't know a rotary aircraft could do. Saw a picture once of an H-46 dropping its ramp onto the roof of a house on the side of a mountain, while hovering, to pick up wounded. No way the pilot could see what he was doing, Had to be doing it by following his aircrew's directions.

Or as a Vietnam A-5 recon pilot once said, here I am ejecting over contested territory where I was hit doing 700 its and here comes rescue in a help doing 90 its to get me out. He started to choke up and just turned away saying "Balls bigger than basketballs."

Reactions: Carl Pickens
FYI, the snake handling church people in Kentucky will pay you $50 for a good rattlesnake 🤣

My neighbor sent me this pic a couple days ago. I told him to send the snake my way.

View attachment 553466
I would Probably start speaking in tongues and take off running and screaming like a little girl if I walked out the door and was eye level with that thing. They don’t bother me if I know they are there, but when I get surprised by one it ain’t good. I bout stepped on one walking out the front door a couple years ago. I still look down every time I walk out the door now.

VN Store

Back