What other message boards are saying (Iowa Edition)

I think their record is a reflection of their schedule. They've played two ranked teams all year and they were shutout both times. That being said, I still think that they will give us a game and possibly win if we don't show up. This isn't a "gimme" by any means.
They've played only 4 teams with a winning record all year including Michigan and Penn State. Their best win appears to be against 7-5 Wisconsin.... who themselves averaged only 23 ppg.

What should be isn't always what happens and zone Ds like Iowa plays are frustrating in the extreme. That said, UT should be able to spread them out and gash them then throw over the top. They're pretty realistic about UT's athletic advantage.

Reactions: rocketskates
-Hey Tennessee players, we think you should opt out and prepare for your bright NFL futures. Thanks in advance.

-Tennessee’s defense is a lot better than ours, gonna be a long day in Orlando.

-I’m watching from the house, I will NOT attend this **** show. Tennessee will beat us so bad.

-We’re about live up to the internet dubbing us Punt University.

-This one will be fun for about 5 minutes.

-Tennessee will crush us.

-Hey, if we win this game, it would validate the season. We won’t though.

-Tennessee message boards seem to think that they win this one pretty easily. They’re correct.

-Whoopee! The last time we played Tennessee the speed difference really showed up. At least we could have gotten a school from California so we can get used to them for next year. Does the Braille Institute of Los Angeles have a football team so our offense has a chance. Rather had an Acc team myself.

-I can’t believe we’re selling bowl game shirts. I’m not buying one that will rep 4 losses.

-We’ll hang around for a few, but the speed difference will show up and it’s gonna get ugly.

-Oh boy, I’m excited for this one. Not!

-Tennessee will beat us by 30 and then coach will defend it by talking about effort.

-Do we have a chance? Sure. Will we win? Hell no.

-At least I’ll get to go to Disney.

-We’ll be wanting to smoke a pack of cigs and drink an entire bottle of whiskey at half.
This is the most likeable opposing fanbase yet!

They've played only 4 teams with a winning record all year including Michigan and Penn State. Their best win appears to be against 7-5 Wisconsin.... who themselves averaged only 23 ppg.

What should be isn't always what happens and zone Ds like Iowa plays are frustrating in the extreme. That said, UT should be able to spread them out and gash them then throw over the top. They're pretty realistic about UT's athletic advantage.
and the offenses they play have been trash. if you look at the Big 10 west the best offense is..... Illinois, with the #82 scoring offense. That's worse than South Carolina. in fact only 2 of the teams in the Big 10 West have a scoring offense better than #100.

of all 33 All Conference Offensive players, the Big 10 West had 10 total players. and only 1 in the First Team All Conference.

Iowa has 3. (third team), all of them OL
Northwestern has 1. (third team) OL
Illinois has 1 (first team) WR
Wisconsin has 3 (one 2nd team, 2 third) RB, WR, OL
Minnesota has 2 (second team) WR, OL

they are bad and they play bad teams close.

Iowa's approach to football is to frustrate their opponent at every turn. I'm not sure our players and coaches will deal well with this approach. Won't be as easy as it looks on paper.

I understand why Tennessee fans are optimistic about this game when looking at Iowa's offense, but I think this game will be alot closer than either fambases imagine.

Tennessee has allowed an average of 27.5 points to conference opponents this year while on the other hand failing to score more than 20 points in 5 games. If Iowa's defense is as good as advertised (which is a valid discussion to have), it's very possible they keep us under this 20 point threshold.

Also, its likely that Iowa's suffocating defense forces us to quick 3 outs, wearing down our defense. As we have witnessed, this is the winning formula against Huepel's offense. So could see this going down to the wire in a 20-17 type game.
I think you are right in that our offense could struggle if they have an off game. However, Iowa's offense is putrid. Like truly awful. Have you watched any of their games? It is painful how bad the offense is. I don't think our defense will struggle too much with them.

But yes, maybe our offense struggles. Thing is, I think our offense could have a Missouri or Georgia like performance and still win.

I think you are right in that our offense could struggle if they have an off game. However, Iowa's offense is putrid. Like truly awful. Have you watched any of their games? It is painful how bad the offense is. I don't think our defense will struggle too much with them.

But yes, maybe our offense struggles. Thing is, I think our offense could have a Missouri or Georgia like performance and still win.
I admittingly have only watched a few snaps from them from this past weekends game. But it also should be taken into account that the teams in the Big 10 all rank really high on defense. No one is scoring alot of points in that league.

Now I suspect a good deal of that has to do with underwhelming offenses in the Big 10. But it isn't for certain. Possessions are also limited in the Big 10 as alot of teams run more clock. On the contrary, we tend to give opposing teams more offensive possessions than they may normally be used to.

Iowa's approach to football is to frustrate their opponent at every turn. I'm not sure our players and coaches will deal well with this approach. Won't be as easy as it looks on paper.
If they could get us in a couple 3 & outs like Missouri did 1st Q. They had the ball all of the 1st quarter I Believe except about a minute and a half, I haven't seen Iowa play but that Missouri game was frustrating you cant score if you don't have the ball. I know Iowa will not have the Offense MZ had.
3 & Outs are a death nail to Hypes Offense, Joe has had too many this year, if he had HH wheels it would have been a way different year IMO.

VN Store

Back