What was Austin Peay thinking?

I am heading to knoxville for the APSU game this year and then probably to Vandy for their second game. That will be twice as many APSU games as I have been to and I graduated there. I will def be wearing orange on 31 August though

If you think for one nanosecond that there are more Vandy fans in this state than there are Vol fans, you are outside your damn mind. Hell, forget the state, Vol fans outnumber Vandy fans in their own CITY.

I Never claimed they did. I just said there's more Vandy fans now than there used to be.

Wel they tend to schedule these contests several years in advance so...when they initially set up the vandy game they were probably thinking about an sec win. Now they've had a couple of respectable seasons of late but eventually they'll end up back where they belong. And tn will end up back where we belong. A top 10 program year in and year out.

Last edited:
Speaking as A season ticket holder, there's A lot more Vandy fans these days. The band wagon jumpers are everywhere! I expect the Dores and the Vols to put up huge numbers on austin Peay. I can't wait for the season to start.

I'm sure the Vandy fan base has decreased because some of them are jumping OFF of the bandwagon, not new ones jumping on it. Franklin is scaring off whatever fans you all have left.:birgits_giggle:

Austin Peay is upgrading their stadium after this football season especially the home side. It is in dire need of an upgrade to keep pace with other OVC schools so by playing UT and Vandy, I bet they clear 1 million plus in money for playing these games. This is my opinion why they scheduled both UT and Vandy back to back. APSU only has 4 home games this season.

As others have stated, it's all about the Benjamins. Back to back weeks against SEC opponents is pretty ridiculous, but scheduling with FBS (and SEC schools in particular) is pretty standard for OVC football schools. UT Martin started doing that type of scheduling around the 2006 or 2007 season. From the FCS team perspective, it's a great revenue producer that also figures into recruitment in a variety of ways. First, it allows for facilities upgrades like football operations buildings, improved playing surface like good field turf, and better weight rooms. Secondly, it gives players that were considered inferior or not worthy of FBS scholarships a chance to play in a large venue like Neyland in front of a lot of people. If they play well, people notice. It was only last year that UT Martin got a win against an FBS team, albeit a very weak Memphis team with a new coach. Just playing hard and keeping the score close can be quite an accomplishment for a school that size that is allowed just 63 scholarships versus the 85 for FBS. No FCS teams schedule these games with the expectation of a win. If they pull one off, it's obviously a great thing for them but is pretty rare. Just an FYI as an example here's what UTM's FBS scheduling has been and will be for the next few seasons that have been announced.

2005 - Arkansas State
2006 - Ohio
2007 - Southern Mississippi
2008 - USF, Auburn
2009 - Memphis
2010 - Tennessee (easy win... You're welcome Dooley)
2011 - Mississippi State
2012 - Memphis, Northern Illinois
2013 - Boise St., Memphis
2014 - Kentucky, Mississippi St.
2015 - Ole Miss , Open date that will probably be another money game

What Austin pea probably wasn't thinking (related to the Vanderbilt contest) was the risk associated with their female students mingling with the Vanderbilt players after the game. I would hope some statement comes out warning the female fans to stay away and doubt they would want to schedule them again in the future.

I'm sure the Vandy fan base has decreased because some of them are jumping OFF of the bandwagon, not new ones jumping on it. Franklin is scaring off whatever fans you all have left.:birgits_giggle:

James Franklin is the best thing Vandy has had since Dan Mcgugin! He's the first Vandy coach to win 9 games since Mcgugin did in 1915! We are more than happy with coach Franklin right now.

VN Store

Back