What was the biggest all time UT upset win?

My memory is a little foggy, but it seems to me that while Miami was ranked #2 in the nation, it was being touted that all they had to do was beat us and they would be the National Champs. I can't remember why though. Had the #1 team already lost? I seem to recall that while we were expected to lose, we were actually ranked #7 in that game. Was it because Miami on paper was playing the tougher opponant?

Iif memory serves Penn State was playing Oklahoma in Orange Bowl and the thinking was if Miami waxed the SEC championship Vols as badly as they had just beaten Notre Dame by like 50 then voters would put them ahead of who ever won OB in a close one.

Yes, Johnnie Jones from Munford, TN. ran all over Bama that day. I can hear John Ward saying Jones from Munford, TN. about 50 times that day.

Yes, I remember very well, this is the game that broke the Alabama win streak, and we started our own win streak

That '85 Team upset #1 Auburn, who had Heismann Trophy Winner running back Bo Jackson, at Neyland Stadium that year. They went on to win the SEC East that year behind backup QB Darrel Dickey & a right to play #2 ranked Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes in the 1986 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee won 35-7 & ended up as the #3 ranked team at years end.

There was no SEC East in 85, but UT did win the SEC Championship. That win over Auburn in 85, the 86 Sugar Bowl & the 2001 Fla games are the biggest upsets I can remember. Also 1982 Bama. They were #2 & we weren't ranked.

The first game I ever attended. I was 9 and saw the coach get carried off as the goal posts got torn down. It's also the first time I ever remember being aware of drunk people.

that game was 85 Auburn for me. I wanted to go help with the goalposts and mom wouldn't let me :)

Reactions: 1 person
The line was 8.Always enjoyed this video!!!!! :crazy:
Turn up your speakers

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/23iaMmti_nk[/youtube]

The Weed Bros made an entire cassette of Sugar Bowl songs before that game. I still have mine! That was one of the best 4 months in Vol FB History, topped only by 1998!

Iif memory serves Penn State was playing Oklahoma in Orange Bowl and the thinking was if Miami waxed the SEC championship Vols as badly as they had just beaten Notre Dame by like 50 then voters would put them ahead of who ever won OB in a close one.

Miami beat Oklahoma earlier in the year. If Miami and Oklahoma both win, Miami is NC.

Miami beat Oklahoma earlier in the year. If Miami and Oklahoma both win, Miami is NC.

BTW, it was funny watching Switzer and Johnson arguing their points about who should be #1.

Johnson: "Well, we beat them at their place, so we should be ranked higher than them."

Switzer: "Well, Florida beat Miami, so Florida should be ranked higher than Miami"

The win over Bama I believe 1982 during the Worlds Fair. We ended a long losing streak that day. I remember the City was buzzing like crazy.

I was just wee tike but that Sugar Bowl win was HUGE. Everyone was talking about it for weeks. I would go to the store with my dad and he would stop and chat about it with 2-3 people every time.

I love when a Freshman Michael Irving scores on Miami's first drive of the game and the broadcasters who were firmly planted up the Canes collective arse said something like "Oh my! This is about to get ugly!".... They didn't come close to sniffing the end zone again.

1986 Sugar Bowl. IDK the line but Miami was heavily favored and we kicked the hell out them. Good times.

thats my pick.not only were they heavily favored.they a roster full of nfl players.Tennessee beat the crap out of a very talented team.

BaldBiker, Jimmy Johnson was making the argument that, if they beat us, and Oklahoma beat Penn State, Miami should be ranked ahead of Oklahoma because Thug U had defeated the Sooners in the regular season.

That was it. Thank you sir. :hi:

thats my pick.not only were they heavily favored.they a roster full of nfl players.Tennessee beat the crap out of a very talented team.

that is the only thing espn left out of miami's 30 for 30 special.the epic beat down Tennessee put on them.thats when miami was on that great run they had.83,87,89 and 91 national title years.and they played for at least 3 more during that span.

The win over Bama I believe 1982 during the Worlds Fair. We ended a long losing streak that day. I remember the City was buzzing like crazy.

that was a huge win to.as was the 79 win over notre dame.tenn was coming off a loss to rutgers and crushed the irish 40 to 18 behind hubert simpson's 4 td.

I sent a full VHS of the '86 Sugar Bowl (from Nashville airing) with commercials and all to a member on here in Memphis who said he would transform it into to a DVD for me, and he never did. I kept asking him where it was. He finally said he gave it to Freak. I have never seen my VHS or a DVD. This was a few years ago. I forgot the guys' name and can't figure out where I used to go to send people messages. Any help would be nice so I can see if I can try to figure out who that guy was.

Probably the LSU game in Knoxville in either '58 or '59 when Billy Cannon was stopped short of the goal line by Wayne Grubb and others...

Beating Miami in the '86 Sugar Bowl was the biggest in my lifetime--

I was just wee tike but that Sugar Bowl win was HUGE. Everyone was talking about it for weeks. I would go to the store with my dad and he would stop and chat about it with 2-3 people every time.

I love when a Freshman Michael Irving scores on Miami's first drive of the game and the broadcasters who were firmly planted up the Canes collective arse said something like "Oh my! This is about to get ugly!".... They didn't come close to sniffing the end zone again.

Yup, I was at that game and we knew before the game that Miami had said, they would score first and take the crowd out of the game. We were determined not to let that last part happen. :) :loco:

Probably the LSU game in Knoxville in either '58 or '59 when Billy Cannon was stopped short of the goal line by Wayne Grubb and others...

Beating Miami in the '86 Sugar Bowl was the biggest in my lifetime--

The first Saturday in November, 1959. "L.S.U. who are you? You won't be 1st when the Vols get through." The great Billy Cannon went for two over right tackle and was stopped by Wayne Grubb, Charlie Severence, and Bill Majors. One my favorite Sports Illustrated pics ever. I and my best friend, Butch McDade, were 14 yrs old and down on the field next to the Vols bench, thanks to a couple of Knoxville's finest. Magical times, my friends, magical times.

i thought i would mention another big win for the vols.this should be considered an upset since the vols started the season unranked in 85.it was the 2nd game of the year and Tennessee thumped top ranked auburn 38 to 20.

VN Store

Back