When a penny ain’t worth a penny

Penny was so mad at them for quitting that he fired them.

“My entire coaching staff team ran over to quit,” Hardaway said. “You know, my entire staff emptied the bench. You could visibly see guys with their fists balled, talking trash. It was almost like a standoff."

arthur-fist-1753480896.gif

I'm shocked and bewildered that of all people, CPH has been accused of violations. Who could have possibly seen this coming!?!
It was just a matter of time. But what you want to bet he comes out smelling like a rose.

I kinda hope not. I'm afraid they'll get someone who can coach and is not a raving narcissistic lunatic. Let Mimfiss burn.
Yeah, I kinda like watching them drown in their own bathtub. There's just no way he survives this. And now it seems they have an avenue to fire him with cause. His tenure has been a disaster. Cautionary tale of hiring someone simply because he is a legend at the school, but has little to no coaching résumé.

Yeah, I kinda like watching them drown in their own bathtub. There's just no way he survives this. And now it seems they have an avenue to fire him with cause. His tenure has been a disaster. Cautionary tale of hiring someone simply because he is a legend at the school, but has little to no coaching résumé.
Agree. I’m not sure why they don’t just do it now and bring in an interim. The transfers will walk but this year is going to be trash anyway, May as well get ahead of it. Tubby Smith may not have been John Wooden, but I still think it was dumb to run him for this guy.

The ONLY way PH would lose his job is through something like this. When he was hired, people who know the barometer of Memphis, knew why he was hired. The university had ZERO choice but to hire him even though there was no indication he could be successful and had major integrity issues already dotting his past. Although there were several good candidates who had proven themselves to be winners, those candidates had zero chance of getting the job. A close friend within the Vols program privately said last year he really doubted if Hardaway could survive much longer at Memphis. It will be interesting to see if the city of Memphis will allow him to be replaced or if his current status will be allowed to continue regardless of his clear “moral turpitude” issues. I actually have a close friend who was retained from Chubbys staff by PH but he chose to leave after two years. Said it was the biggest unprofessional circus you can imagine.

If you visit some of the Memphis fan sites, a lot of folks seem fed up with him. If your going to cheat like him and take the players no one else is willing to, you better at least win. Memphis has no reason to keep him around imo.
Sure makes a Vol fan appreciate the man and coach Rick Barnes is! So very thankful Rick is here. Those UM fans can howl all they want but it appears the AD has dug in and will fight for Hardaway.

Agree. I’m not sure why they don’t just do it now and bring in an interim. The transfers will walk but this year is going to be trash anyway, May as well get ahead of it. Tubby Smith may not have been John Wooden, but I still think it was dumb to run him for this guy.
Yeah, not all that glitters is gold. Penny had next to no résumé for the kind of job he landed. Barely any experience as a coach. He was hired on name and connections, alone. And now his reputation among Memphis fans will be tarnished instead of him being the hero he was as a player.

Firing Tubby to take him on is an all-time blunder that will set that program back 10 years when it's all said and done.

Yeah, not all that glitters is gold. Penny had next to no résumé for the kind of job he landed. Barely any experience as a coach. He was hired on name and connections, alone. And now his reputation among Memphis fans will be tarnished instead of him being the hero he was as a player.

Firing Tubby to take him on is an all-time blunder that will set that program back 10 years when it's all said and done.

Firing Tubby wasnt a mistake. He was washed, putting no energy recruiting, and losing out on recruits to Ouachita Baptist.

Hiring Penny was the mistake....

Firing Tubby wasnt a mistake. He was washed, putting no energy recruiting, and losing out on recruits to Ouachita Baptist.

Hiring Penny was the mistake....
The two instances are intrinsically linked, though. No one said firing Tubby (in a vacuum) was a mistake. It was said that firing Tubby to hire Penny was a mistake, and it was.

Sure makes a Vol fan appreciate the man and coach Rick Barnes is! So very thankful Rick is here. Those UM fans can howl all they want but it appears the AD has dug in and will fight for Hardaway.
Looks like just looking at him it is no doubt'

The two instances are intrinsically linked, though. No one said firing Tubby (in a vacuum) was a mistake. It was said that firing Tubby to hire Penny was a mistake, and it was.

Memphis is better off with Penny than Tubby though.

In the past 50 years, the only way you can win big at Memphis is cheat.

In the past 50 years, Larry Finch is the only coach to take a Memphis team to 2nd weekend of NCAAs without being caught as a cheater. Cal and Kirk got caught.

Jerry Green, Cuonzo, and Barnes have done that at UT in the past 25 yrs.

Penny cant coach but he can cheat like crazy. That goes further at Memphis than good ethical coaching...

Memphis is better off with Penny than Tubby though.

In the past 50 years, the only way you can win big at Memphis is cheat.

In the past 50 years, Larry Finch is the only coach to take a Memphis team to 2nd weekend of NCAAs without being caught as a cheater. Cal and Kirk got caught.

Jerry Green, Cuonzo, and Barnes have done that at UT in the past 25 yrs.

Penny cant coach but he can cheat like crazy. That goes further at Memphis than good ethical coaching...
Are they, though? Penny, with the benefit of both his indiscretions and the transfer portal has exactly 1 more NCAAT win than Tubby did at Memphis, and he's been there 3x as long as Tubby was.

Again, I'm not barking for Tubby Smith claiming he was the answer. I'm just saying Penny isn't the answer, never was the answer, and never will be the answer. That isn't in any way a plug for Tubby Smith.

VN Store

Back