When Does CBJ get his Signature Win?

Vol fans still look back on the win over UCLA in 89 as a signature win, and that UCLA team finshed 5-6. We were supposed to suck and they were supposed to be a top 10 team

They do? I remember watching that game, but it's been a long time since I ever thought back to it. Now the Auburn game that year, that was huge.

So you think losing Chip Kelly is irrelevant? Serious question. On the surface would you chose their coach who I need to google to see his name, or Butch Jones? Serious question.

Bama was 6-7 (2-6 conference) in 06'. They beat SEC runner up UT by 30 some points in 07'. Coaches DO matter. We might not beat Oregon. But to dismiss the idea of them dipping and us rising do to coaching changes would be crazy IMO.

As for UGA. They are loaded. But they are losing major players in that front seven. High powered offense, I'll give them that. But IMO we've always got a punchers chance against UGA. How it's always been.

I do however respect where you are coming from. And we might not beat either one. But if we get a signature win, these are the two most realistic IMO. NEITHER will be as good as the pundits will predict them to be. And football has a lot to do with matchups. And IMO these are two good teams we could actually have a critical advantage over in key areas...in the trenches. They have better talent overall, we just match up good.

I worry about Oregon because of the tempo and our defense that early in the season. I didn't know who Chip Kelly was when he took the job from Bellotti. I think UGA will win the East but at home I like our chances better than the Oregon game. I think UGA is a better team than Oregon but we will have some games under our belt and the coaches should know what we do well by then. I hope you are right. I think we have a shot in every game we play or at least tell myself that when I walk into the stadium.

Reactions: 1 person
I worry about Oregon because of the tempo and our defense that early in the season. I didn't know who Chip Kelly was when he took the job from Bellotti. I think UGA will win the East but at home I like our chances better than the Oregon game. I think UGA is a better team than Oregon but we will have some games under our belt and the coaches should know what we do well by then. I hope you are right. I think we have a shot in every game we play or at least tell myself that when I walk into the stadium.

And I think your view is a very fair and realistic one. Good stuff.

I guess part of the deal with me is that I coach travel baseball. I've NEVER NEVER went into a game thinking we're beat. And if any of my kids make comments insinuating that I will send them to sit with their moms. Not their dads..they wanna cry about losing I'll send them to cry with the girls. Are there games where we have a disadvantage? Yes there are. But as a coach my job is to take what gives us our best chance to win and formulate a plan around that.

Are UGA and Oregon better. BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT they are. But IMO the most important area of play in football is in the trenches, JMO. And these are two really good teams, but I feel we have an advantage in what I view as the most important area. That's why I'm so optimistic we could knock one of them off. If we lose to both it wouldn't shock me at all, and it wouldn't be a black eye for CBJ at all in my eyes. As long as we don't get blown out.

My expectation is that we will look like a team that has been properly coached, unlike the past three seasons in which our players looked as though they had never played before on occasion. That's what I expect. To look like, and be, a competitive football team.

And I think your view is a very fair and realistic one. Good stuff.

I guess part of the deal with me is that I coach travel baseball. I've NEVER NEVER went into a game thinking we're beat. And if any of my kids make comments insinuating that I will send them to sit with their moms. Not their dads..they wanna cry about losing I'll send them to cry with the girls. Are there games where we have a disadvantage? Yes there are. But as a coach my job is to take what gives us our best chance to win and formulate a plan around that.

Are UGA and Oregon better. BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT they are. But IMO the most important area of play in football is in the trenches, JMO. And these are two really good teams, but I feel we have an advantage in what I view as the most important area. That's why I'm so optimistic we could knock one of them off. If we lose to both it wouldn't shock me at all, and it wouldn't be a black eye for CBJ at all in my eyes. As long as we don't get blown out.

It is the job of the coach to figure out how to win the game. You are exactly right in that regard and moral victories are simply losses in my opinion. Both games we will have to figure out how to shorten them by running the ball and getting stops. We will need to sustain drives that end with scores and be in striking distance at the end of the game. I don't think we can afford to get in a shootout with either team but need to be prepared if the defense can't hold up. We will know how mentally tough the team is after the Oregon game. I would have our DT's watch nothing but LSU and Auburn film on defending them. The defensive line play was the difference in each of those games.

Reactions: 1 person
My expectation is that we will look like a team that has been properly coached, unlike the past three seasons in which our players looked as though they had never played before on occasion. That's what I expect. To look like, and be, a competitive football team.

That would be refreshing.

VN Store

Back