When Does CBJ get his Signature Win?

I would say that CBJ has had 2 signature wins. Mich St -while he was at Central Mich, and Va Tech - last year with Cinncy. He would have to beat someone that stacks up to these 2 teams to get a signature win with Tennessee. What teams compare in the SEC?

Signature wins have to be against Bama and Florida. Butch needs to get past USCe in the pecking order quickly in my opinion.

I like Butch, But I'm worried about our D- Chord , and O-Chord. Can they call plays with the big boys ? Can they scheme with other top coaches? Will they call plays to not loose or will they play to win ? I'm worried about the best staff in America! I like the hell out of Butch Though!

d_chord_plain.png

South Carolina is not a signature win neither is Georgia, Bama will be the signature win this year. Book It! Florida will be the first big win but bama will be the signature win.

Florida would be the signature win, lol

I think we have different definitions of " signature win"

The signature win is the one that gets national recognition, and makes every Vol fan believe in Butch and his staff. Dooley never quite got one. The closest he had was NC state.

The sig win doesn't have to be the best team on our schedule. Florida and Bama would be automatic signature wins for obvious reasons.

But if he were to come out and thump Georgia or SC, they could also be signature wins

Who knows, but I believe if we can pull it off in Eugene then the snowball may continue to roll for us. If we can win out there then I believe we have a chance at any game we play. I don't think that we'll play half ball like the last few years. So the games with that are tougher we may be in it until the end.

I like Butch, But I'm worried about our D- Chord , and O-Chord. Can they call plays with the big boys ? Can they scheme with other top coaches? Will they call plays to not loose or will they play to win ? I'm worried about the best staff in America! I like the hell out of Butch Though!

Been playing guitar 30yrs still cant play the O-Chord.:)

Reactions: 3 people
Signature wins have to be against Bama and Florida. Butch needs to get past USCe in the pecking order quickly in my opinion.

A signature win is a win versus an opponent that you aren't expected to win. Both of your games apply as a signature win, but there are quite a few more on the schedule.

Last edited:
A signature win is a win versus an opponent that you aren't expected to win. Both of your games apply as a signature win, but there are quite a few more on the schedule.

Agree to disagree. We won't look back and say "Do you remember Butch's win vs South Carolina?" We remember the 1995 emphatic streak ending win at Alabama and the win in 1998 vs Florida. Beating South Carolina is a big deal right now and a necessary step toward making real noise in the conference again. Beating Georgia would be a big deal due to recruiting and the roster they have and would possibly qualify. We have four teams that really matter on the schedule and USCe is on it but at the bottom of the list.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree to disagree. We won't look back and say "Do you remember Butch's win vs South Carolina?" We remember the 1995 emphatic streak ending win at Alabama and the win in 1998 vs Florida. Beating South Carolina is a big deal right now and a necessary step toward making real noise in the conference again. Beating Georgia would be a big deal due to recruiting and the roster they have and would possibly qualify. We have four teams that really matter on the schedule and USCe is on it but at the bottom of the list.

If Sourh Carolina is ranked 10th or better we will remember it 10 years from now. Why, because it would mark our first huge win in about five years. It would mark our awakening, therefore we would remember it. Btw, there are many other games that I can remember us winning that would be classified as signature and they do not include Bammer or Florida. I am respectfully disagreeing with you.

If Sourh Carolina is ranked 10th or better we will remember it 10 years from now. Why, because it would mark our first huge win in about five years. It would mark our awakening, therefore we would remember it. Btw, there are many other games that I can remember us winning that would be classified as signature and they do not include Bammer or Florida. I am respectfully disagreeing with you.

No worries. I would be happy winning any meaningful games at this point.

It will be the first time since '09 that we've beat a ranked team. Ironic that the team we beat was USCjr on Halloween.

If 10 years from now, we're looking back and saying "Hey, remember when Butch Jones beat South Carolina? Those were the days!", then chances are, things didn't work out very well.

Reactions: 2 people
Oregon or UGA. I've said it until I'm blue in the face. Both will be replacing legit first round guys in the defensive front seven. Oregon lost a top 3 pick from the front seven. We return the best o-line in America.

We might not have any true game breakers at DL. But collectively they will be solid and deep. Oregon also lost a OL in the top 20 picks. UGA's o-line has underachieved for the past 6-8 years. Advantages for UT in what IMO are the two most important units on the field.

Chip Kelly left. I know some think their new OC is gonna keep it rolling and they won't miss a beat. I wonder if they were the same ones chest bumping when we replaced Cut with Clawson. Or who thought every hire Dooley made was an upgrade...SMH, dude has never coached a game in his life. This is CBJ's 3rd job. He took Cincinatti into Knoxville and Norman Oklahoma. He got beat here, damn near beat Oklahoma though. He WILL have our boys ready. Advantage Tennessee IMO.

As for UGA....well it's about time for one of their underachieving seasons IMO. And quite often even when we are supposed to lose to them, we beat them. They are our lil' bi*ch. and there ain't no two ways about it.

In no way do we beat both. But one of the two....I can see.

Oregon or UGA. I've said it until I'm blue in the face. Both will be replacing legit first round guys in the defensive front seven. Oregon lost a top 3 pick from the front seven. We return the best o-line in America.

We might not have any true game breakers at DL. But collectively they will be solid and deep. Oregon also lost a OL in the top 20 picks. UGA's o-line has underachieved for the past 6-8 years. Advantages for UT in what IMO are the two most important units on the field.

Chip Kelly left. I know some think their new OC is gonna keep it rolling and they won't miss a beat. I wonder if they were the same ones chest bumping when we replaced Cut with Clawson. Or who thought every hire Dooley made was an upgrade...SMH, dude has never coached a game in his life. This is CBJ's 3rd job. He took Cincinatti into Knoxville and Norman Oklahoma. He got beat here, damn near beat Oklahoma though. He WILL have our boys ready. Advantage Tennessee IMO.

As for UGA....well it's about time for one of their underachieving seasons IMO. And quite often even when we are supposed to lose to them, we beat them. They are our lil' bi*ch. and there ain't no two ways about it.

In no way do we beat both. But one of the two....I can see.

Georgia is still loaded and their running game will be able to grind if the passing game isn't lighting up the scoreboard. They will be very good. I think Oregon at Oregon is a tall order with where we are as a program. The scheme is not changing and they have ran that for years regardless of the head coach.

Georgia is still loaded and their running game will be able to grind if the passing game isn't lighting up the scoreboard. They will be very good. I think Oregon at Oregon is a tall order with where we are as a program. The scheme is not changing and they have ran that for years regardless of the head coach.

So you think losing Chip Kelly is irrelevant? Serious question. On the surface would you chose their coach who I need to google to see his name, or Butch Jones? Serious question.

Bama was 6-7 (2-6 conference) in 06'. They beat SEC runner up UT by 30 some points in 07'. Coaches DO matter. We might not beat Oregon. But to dismiss the idea of them dipping and us rising do to coaching changes would be crazy IMO.

As for UGA. They are loaded. But they are losing major players in that front seven. High powered offense, I'll give them that. But IMO we've always got a punchers chance against UGA. How it's always been.

I do however respect where you are coming from. And we might not beat either one. But if we get a signature win, these are the two most realistic IMO. NEITHER will be as good as the pundits will predict them to be. And football has a lot to do with matchups. And IMO these are two good teams we could actually have a critical advantage over in key areas...in the trenches. They have better talent overall, we just match up good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If 10 years from now, we're looking back and saying "Hey, remember when Butch Jones beat South Carolina? Those were the days!", then chances are, things didn't work out very well.

It is if we follow that up the next year with wins over GA, Florida, and bammer. We will remember USCe as the game that got it started. You always remember your first.

Vol fans still look back on the win over UCLA in 89 as a signature win, and that UCLA team finshed 5-6. We were supposed to suck and they were supposed to be a top 10 team
. We went on to win 4 SEC championshps over the next decade.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back