When Florida tied the game with seconds left, what were you feeling?

When FL tied the game w seconds left, what did you honestly think the outcome of the game would be?

• UT would lose

• UT would win

• Other (OK gang, I put this here to be PC, so can't wait to hear some tittilating word salads here)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was not watching the game, but listening to the radio broadcast. That certainly changes perceptions and reactions (ala the 1960 Nixon-Kennedy debates).

For me, listening (as opposed to watching) either lessens the emotional impact of negative events, or provides a bit of buffer between the facts of the event and my emotional reaction to it.

But on the other hand, I'm old enough to bear the emotional scars of devastating losses to Florida as far back as the 1969 Gator Bowl--after which they also took our program-saving head coach!

With those caveats, my feeling at the moment of the Florida TD was not the emotional collapse of "Screwed again!!" but more like "Drat. I guess we're gonna have to do this the hard way now." But if I'd been watching it happen, I'll bet mine would have been the emotional collapse of futility.

A neurologist would say that's because images bypass our rational brain areas, and the reason why they're so powerful (and manipulative).

The next thought/feeling I had was to fervently hope that Florida would not decide to go for the two-point conversion. I think I felt nearly as much relief when Florida eventually lined up to kick the PAT as when Sampson actually won the game. For whatever reason, I felt like they were going to be successful if they'd gone for two. (The next day, when I saw the trick formation they lined up in, I felt that even stronger!)

Once Florida decided to get the sure tie and go to overtime, I felt much more positive about Tennessee eventually winning the game.

Last edited:
Knowing too intimately the history of the Vols & Gators over the past 20 years, what was your immediate reaction as to who would win the game when Gators found a receiver WIDE OPEN for 6 points w 50 seconds left in the game?

PS This is not what you wanted to happen mind you, but what did you think would happen?
tmp.gif

Reactions: Volador
I was too occupied watching a guy have his beer stream out of a hole in the side of his tallboy ( still not sure how it got there ) and all over the lady in front of him... She was not pleased.

When they didn’t go for 2 and the game went to overtime, I felt good actually. It was very fortunate for the gators to even get the tie and our defense was feasting on their freshman QB. If Mertz was still out there I would have been very worried. Between the D, the crowd noise and Sampson I thought we had a solid chance of pull it off in overtime.

I was mad as hell that we needed overtime though.

Here we go again and please don’t go for 2. We’ve been on the receiving end of so many last minute heartbreaks over the years and when we try to deliver in the clutch our qbs run out of bounds on the last play of the game.

Speaking from the other side, at no point after the Mertz fumble and botched timeout and FG just before the half did I think UF would win.

You can’t leave 13 points on the field and expect to win.

When Napier decided to kick the extra point, I felt good about overtime. Damn I’m glad he didn’t go for two. They were lucky to score that last TD. Well defended but a perfect throw. I felt our defense had more in the tank. Of course after they missed the field goal in OT, I felt the game was over. If we had turned it over then my BVS would have returned in full force.
After Florida missed the field goal in OT I kept saying just don’t turn the ball over, we just need a field goal. The next thing I know we are throwing a pass on first down and I thought “Oh, no we are going to turn the ball over”. Fortunately it worked out. I think Josh Heupel made a point of going for the touchdown to show that we still could have won even if Florida got the field goal.

Reactions: BigBadVol
Fel
After Florida missed the field goal in OT I kept saying just don’t turn the ball over, we just need a field goal. The next thing I know we are throwing a pass on first down and I thought “Oh, no we are going to turn the ball over”. Fortunately it worked out. I think Josh Heupel made a point of going for the touchdown to show that we still could have won even if Florida got the field goal.
Felt exactly the same way.

Someone else said this, and I don't know who--whether someone on these boards, or a talking head on TV: the game this year didn't feel fatalistic the way past UT-UF games often felt. And I think whoever said it was exactly right.

There was a sense of doom, of pre-ordained misery, hiding behind the veil during the Dark Ages--and to include last year in the Swamp. Even if we were ahead, there was just this clammy feeling. Like the other shoe was about to drop.

But it didn't feel that way this Saturday. I felt no doubt that we'd win the game, even in the first half before we got any points on the board.

Dunno why. But I can validate the fella who first pointed it out, because I felt it too.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back