Where is freshman Mike Matthews?

Randy44

Where is freshman Mike Matthew’s? Highly rated four star wide receiver. Has he played yet?

I believe he has been out because of injury towards middle of fall camp. He was questionable for this game.

This. He was suited up for this game, which is good because he wasn’t even dressed for Nooga IIRC. With as deep as we are at WR I doubt Heupel is in any rush to get him out there and will wait until he’s 100%.

I agree. We have arguably the #1 QB in the nation and only 2 passes over 20 yards last night. This needs to get resolved.

View attachment 674741
A lot of that was the Defensive scheme. I will say we need another proven burner besides Squirrel. Bru is great but not a burner, Thornton has shown flashes.

Still, Nico was taking what the d gave him, plus Heupel had a lot of two TE sets .

I agree. We have arguably the #1 QB in the nation and only 2 passes over 20 yards last night. This needs to get resolved.

View attachment 674741
NC State runs a 3-3-5 defense, designed to not give up the big play, especially from the inside out. Makes defense vulnerable on the edges and to the running game. Tennessee did a magnificent job offensively exploiting that. That type of defense has to win in between the twenties and live off of turnovers.

Scored 51 points and you are complaining? NC State schemed all night to not give up the bombs. They did a nice job with that. Have you looked up the rushing stats? That's what kind of game it was, because that's what they gave us. Also, one huge bomb TD play was called back and yes it was a busted play, but shows Nico's ability to extend plays and make huge throws and great decisions. TD was called back on illegal man down field, the dumbest call in all of sports....

If a slow or down day in the passing games means we just run all over people and drop 50 on them, we should be concerned?

Last edited:

View attachment 674741
When they consistently drop 8 into coverage, tell me how many times you need to throw it 20+ yards. We ran it down their throats and took what they gave us. You’ll see more when teams play more man and stack the box.

Already posted elsewhere, but dammit, if this is what it takes to kill this ugly new trend:

Enough already with the "Where was _____" and "What happened to ______" and "The _____ situation" threads.

Your guy didn't get in the stat sheets. He may not even have played. Okay, fine. We don't need you mouth breathing over it every time one of our 125 lads doesn't go monster in the box score. Get over it, sit quietly and watch a little longer, and as the season plays out, you'll get a feel for how they're really doing.

No need to freak out on specific individuals every single game, fellas. They're fine.

Go Vols!

State runs a 3-3-5 Defense. Tend to limit deep shots in general. That why we ran so many 2 TE sets. Could they have been better? Sure but not the best game to judge them off of.
Nico completed 16 passes and completed 70% of his passing attempts and the Vols dropped 51 and won by 41 points. I'll take that all day everyday of the week forever.

He did throw 2 picks, he's a freshman. It's rumored the 1st pick may have been tipped? Bru did stop his route and Nico expected him to extend across the field, which is what Bru should have done in all that coverage. Nico may have thought the safety was going to keep sliding over to Nico's left. It's a play he wants back, but they happen to the best of them, especially a freshman.

The 2nd pick was totally on the offensive line. Nico's arm has hit by the defender and the ball was a wobble duck floating in the air for anybody's taking. Just a great play by the dlineman winning on that play.

As a whole, Nico was very mature, calm, cool, collected and in total control.....very impressive for a 19 year old in his 3rd start.....the most impressive part to Nico's game, in my opinion, was to not be rattled by the 1st pick at all. Just dusted it off like it never happened and stayed aggressive and wasn't fazed by it at all. Those are the types of mental edges the greats have over the rest ....

Last edited:
A lot of that was the Defensive scheme. I will say we need another proven burner besides Squirrel. Bru is great but not a burner, Thornton has shown flashes.

Still, Nico was taking what the d gave him, plus Heupel had a lot of two TE sets .
This offense thrives with receivers like him, Jalin Hyatt, Velus Jones, Javonta Payton, etc. I'm surprised Huepel doesn't recruit more of them.

VN Store

Back