Where is freshman Mike Matthews?

I agree. We have arguably the #1 QB in the nation and only 2 passes over 20 yards last night. This needs to get resolved.

View attachment 674741
Our outside receivers had a Corner playing off and a safety on each of them last night. They doubled our outside guys and picked up the slot when he broke. That isn’t a receiver problem. It left underneath routes, runs and TE passes in the seam. We did great with what they gave us. Our outside guys will feast in man coverage.

I agree. We have arguably the #1 QB in the nation and only 2 passes over 20 yards last night. This needs to get resolved.

View attachment 674741
They play a 3-3-5. That means 5 DBs. They were selling out to stop the mid/ deep ball so we gashed them on the ground. Also we were in 12 personnel for most of the game. Tight ends had their day. Learn football scheming

I'm actually glad that Nico through that one bad throw. It's a great learning lesson for a guy who had no interceptions, or real adversity until last night. When you can win by 41, and your superstar quarterback can grow up even more, then it's a good night.

I’m getting hammered by a whole bunch of you guys (and gals I assume) telling me about NCSt 335 defense and the 5 to 8 defenders covering TN 3 WRs deep.

OK OK I get it.

HOWEVER 😀

- There were a lot of plays where their front 6 (plus) were frozen at the line waiting to see if a run was developing. They weren’t always dropping 5+. Opportunity to be creative?

- A burner running effective routes should be able to connect deep even on that NCSt defense. Squirrel had a nice deep ball and I recall at least one other ball that was 2 ft long.

I’m going to trust my VN brethren that our WRs are going to be catching long balls against tough defenses this year. I love to see a guard pull and block like on Nico’s TD run but nothing gets me out of my chair quicker than when a QB and WR connect long.

GBO!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It’s like these people just sit around twiddling their thumbs looking for irrelevant **** to worry about. It’s insufferable.

We just smashed a ranked team by 7 touchdowns on a neutral field (in their home state). If you’re looking for absolute perfection in the box score every week, stop watching sports. Life in general doesn’t work like that. Get over yourselves.
Stop exaggeratin! It was only 5 TDs and 2 field goals! Now get off my lawn! ( blue font)

It great knowing we have a HC & OC than can beat a defense multiple ways.

I also love Tenn can run the shuttle pass with success. That play killed the Vols in the 80s & 90s but Tenn could never run it with success. Hype has it down.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
They play a 3-3-5. That means 5 DBs. They were selling out to stop the mid/ deep ball so we gashed them on the ground. Also we were in 12 personnel for most of the game. Tight ends had their day. Learn football scheming
We might’ve run more 12 personnel last night than we have since Pruitt was here or even Fulmer. We just took what they gave us and I’d say it worked it just fine. The scary part was that we really didn’t play that great on offense and still scored 44 points .

View attachment 674741
You do understand from the plethora of responses that the entire gameplan involved playing 3 deep zone. That was entirely intended to stop deep plays. Why can't you understand our coaching staff came up with the perfect gameplan to destroy NC State. We destroyed a top 25 team last night.

We have some seriously delusional fans. They actually think they have a working knowledge of football, but in reality, are completely clueless about how an offensive gameplan is worked. Only a very foolish coach would not adjust the what the defense is showing and just stubbornly run their "normal" offense just out of spite. Why can our "fans" just accept a 51-10 destruction of a ranked team and not try to find some reason to be upset?

The 3-3-5 made us turn to running game and shorter passing game. We simply took what they gave us. There was no reason to force things when we had other options. Thornton and Brazzell are good receivers, they will get theirs. Relax folks! GBO

Already posted elsewhere, but dammit, if this is what it takes to kill this ugly new trend:

Enough already with the "Where was _____" and "What happened to ______" and "The _____ situation" threads.

Your guy didn't get in the stat sheets. He may not even have played. Okay, fine. We don't need you mouth breathing over it every time one of our 125 lads doesn't go monster in the box score. Get over it, sit quietly and watch a little longer, and as the season plays out, you'll get a feel for how they're really doing.

No need to freak out on specific individuals every single game, fellas. They're fine.

Go Vols!
werk-sassy.gif

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
The 3-3-5 made us turn to running game and shorter passing game. We simply took what they gave us. There was no reason to force things when we had other options. Thornton and Brazzell are good receivers, they will get theirs. Relax folks! GBO
There was one possession in particular that I had no idea what was going on. 3-3-5 had me twisted. We threw the ball on three consecutive first downs against 5 in the box and I was like “WTH ARE WE DOING?” Then I realized we were moving the ball and our coaches are indeed smarter than me. I guess it was because NCST was giving us the short throws which we gladly accepted.

We have some seriously delusional fans. They actually think they have a working knowledge of football, but in reality, are completely clueless about how an offensive gameplan is worked. Only a very foolish coach would not adjust the what the defense is showing and just stubbornly run their "normal" offense just out of spite. Why can our "fans" just accept a 51-10 destruction of a ranked team and not try to find some reason to be upset?
Hell, I ain’t upset. Anyone upset with that needs mental help. And not outpatient either.

They were playing a 3,3,5 defense. If you don't understand that means they put 5 guys back in coverage to cover our 4 wide receivers. They were telling us that you are not going to beat us throwing deep. That's why we rushed for 249 yards. When we go against a defense that man's up with our receivers you will see how good they are.

Its the teams that can effectively man up all your receivers, get massive pressure without blitzing and still stifle the run game that concern me.

That's when our defense will be most important.

Hell, I ain’t upset. Anyone upset with that needs mental help. And not outpatient either.
Don't remember calling anyone out specifically. Maybe you should read some of the posts that are posted just in this thread alone. Much whining about the WR or that WR, or our OC not knowing what he is doing, or WRs can't get open, why with a STACKED WR room and the best QB in the country, why only 2 pass plays of 29+ yards. There are several posters that you just said need to be institutionalized.

It great knowing we have a HC & OC than can beat a defense multiple ways.

I also love Tenn can run the shuttle pass with success. That play killed the Vols in the 80s & 90s but Tenn could never run it with success. Hype has it down.
Heupel used to torment teams with that when he played too. He was fun to watch.

Reactions: tim
That win reminded me of years of losses against Alabama where I sat and watched while thinking we played a pretty good game and lost by 30 plus while also thinking Alabama wasn’t that good (delusional). Then they win a Natty.

In reading some of these super intelligent observations, I'm surprised some of you
aren't pulling in big paychecks from the networks!

There are some of you that are quick to dis on anyone who dares asks a question
about a player or coach. this is a blog you know.

I have to ask.......Why?
To be clear, I'm not saying they aren't good, I just don't see a true game changer yet. Who is the one WR the defense is truly worried about? I haven't seen that guy yet, and maybe that's a good thing. We have an elite QB, a top tier RB, and a bunch of really solid WR's imo.

VN Store

Back