50s:Cruze
60s: Mills
70s: Seivers
80s: Hancock
90s: Pickens
00s: Washington
10s: Hunter

Last edited:
If I were going to create a prototype for future Tennessee receivers, he would have Seivers' hands and jumping ability, Gault's explosiveness and straight-line speed, CP's broken-field running ability, Tim McGee's silky-smooth route-running ability and Carl Pickens' size and body type.

Lauricella was a single wing tailback, not a receiver. Johnny Mills was a FAR better receiver than Richmond Flowers in the 60's. Flowers was fast. Mills was a receiver.

I'll tap out (submit) on Lauricella. Mills was good but I'm sticking with Flowers for the 60's.

ncf_a_price_600.jpg

Agree

Lauricella was a single wing tailback, not a receiver. Johnny Mills was a FAR better receiver than Richmond Flowers in the 60's. Flowers was fast. Mills was a receiver.

I am glad someone remembers something about football from the golden era. Does anyone remember the passing combination of Procter to Powell? Back in the old days, single wing teams did not throw the ball very much. In fact, Neyland was quoted as saying that three things could happen when you threw the ball and two of them were not good. The ball could be complete, incomplete, or intercepted.

I have seen every receiver who played at Tennessee since 1946 and Carl Pickens was the best I saw. He was also the best athlete I have ever seen. I never saw Jim Thorpe play any sport except on film, but believe he was the best athlete who ever lived.

2010s: Justin Hunter
2000s: Donte Stallworth
1990s: Peerless Price
1980s: Anthony Hancock
1970s: Stanley Morgan
1960s: Lester McClain

if CP ran better routes would he make your 2010's? Over Hunter? CP came up bigger in big games....Hunter really didnt do anything against big games in 3 years.

Willie Gault had world class speed, and John Ward called Stanley Morgan the Kannapolis Comet, Peerless will always be remembered for his lights out performance in the '98 NC game.

FWIW JH had more catches and yards in SEC play.

who made bigger plays? you can take more catches and yards with 12 yard out routes. I am taking the big play man.

Cp also had 300+ more rushing yards, kick off returns, and explosivenss and averaged more yards per catch. FYI when you look up SEC stats it gives the players year stats not just against SEC competition.

Last edited:
Gault and Pickens if you are looking at CAREERS...

People just forget how electric those two were with the ball in their hands....and they didn't have to run 40 yards laterally to gain 5 down the field--ala CP...:salute:

50's Lauricella
60's Flowers
70's Morgan
80's Gault
90's Stallworth
00's Meachem (with honorable mention to Witten)
10's TBD

You got a good list there, if i had to pick one it would be slick Willie he could go get it i dont remember him ever being overthrown world class speed.

who made bigger plays? you can take more catches and yards with 12 yard out routes. I am taking the big play man.

Cp also had 300+ more rushing yards, kick off returns, and explosivenss and averaged more yards per catch. FYI when you look up SEC stats it gives the players year stats not just against SEC competition.

I don't rate Gault or Hester as WR's based on their return yards and don't apply that criteria to Patterson either. All around dynamic playmaker? Sure, CP. Dedicated WR? That's not nearly as clear cut.

Oh, and FYI, I didn't use "season" stats, I used actual SEC game stats.

I'll tap out (submit) on Lauricella. Mills was good but I'm sticking with Flowers for the 60's.
Stick with him, if you must, but after playing 2 years at wide receiver, Flowers was moved by Dickey to tailback for his senior year. Dickey moved Mills from tight end to wide receiver for his senior year.

Flowers best year 41 receptions 585 yards 14.3 yards per reception . Mills best year 48 receptions 725 yards 15.1 yards per reception. Both had 4 touchdowns receiving in their best year. I saw both play, and besides I am a friend of Mills, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Flowers was really fast, but he didn't play offense in the pros. The Giants turned him into a defensive back if I remember correctly. Mills got into camp with San Diego, and he told me that he knew that he was in trouble when the defensive backs for the Chargers ran faster backwards than he could forwards. In 1966, Mills finished 2nd in the SEC in both catches and receiving yards, and 4th in yards per reception. He was a high school QB from Elizabethton, and was a good athlete, but did not have the speed needed for the pros.

I gotta take Pickens here, although there are certainly more than a few who could be in the discussion.

Stick with him, if you must, but after playing 2 years at wide receiver, Flowers was moved by Dickey to tailback for his senior year. Dickey moved Mills from tight end to wide receiver for his senior year.

Flowers best year 41 receptions 585 yards 14.3 yards per reception . Mills best year 48 receptions 725 yards 15.1 yards per reception. Both had 4 touchdowns receiving in their best year. I saw both play, and besides I am a friend of Mills, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Flowers was really fast, but he didn't play offense in the pros. The Giants turned him into a defensive back if I remember correctly. Mills got into camp with San Diego, and he told me that he knew that he was in trouble when the defensive backs for the Chargers ran faster backwards than he could forwards. In 1966, Mills finished 2nd in the SEC in both catches and receiving yards, and 4th in yards per reception. He was a high school QB from Elizabethton, and was a good athlete, but did not have the speed needed for the pros.

I didn't remember Richmond playing defensive back in the NFL, but you are correct. He saw limited duty with the Cowboys as a kick returner from 1969-1971, then was traded to the Giants mid-season in 1971 and played there through the '73 season. He totaled 6 interceptions, with his most productive season being 1972, when he picked off 4 passes (Richmond Flowers, DB at NFL.com).

Carl Pickens and it's not even close. If he had played with Peyton he would have caught over 100 passes in 11games for about 1400 yards and 25 TDs.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back