Who is the best WR of all time at UT?

Johnny Mills, Lester McClain, Larry Seivers, and Tim McGee were the best I saw. Anthony Hancock, Willie Gault, Carl Pickens, Alvin Harper, Thomas Woods, Dante Stallworth, Robert Meecham, and Staneley Morgan would be the next picks.

I didn't remember Richmond playing defensive back in the NFL, but you are correct. He saw limited duty with the Cowboys as a kick returner from 1969-1971, then was traded to the Giants mid-season in 1971 and played there through the '73 season. He totaled 6 interceptions, with his most productive season being 1972, when he picked off 4 passes (Richmond Flowers, DB at NFL.com).
And I had forgotten that he was at Dallas. I could just see him in a Giants uniform.

who made bigger plays? you can take more catches and yards with 12 yard out routes. I am taking the big play man.

Cp also had 300+ more rushing yards, kick off returns, and explosivenss and averaged more yards per catch. FYI when you look up SEC stats it gives the players year stats not just against SEC competition.

In reality niether killed it in SEC play I think combined they only had 100 yard(Hunter vs MiSS) game between them.

Last edited:
Pickens is the best I've since I have been watching in the early 80s. Andy Kelly could throw something that looked like it had been shot by a twelve gauge, Pickens would hunt it down, steal it from the defenders and score a touchdown. Just unreal. Had he played with Peyton . . . one can only imagine.

Aside:

I once had the great misfortune of guarding Pickens at a B-ball camp when I was a sophomore in HS. He dunked on me and his left foot hit me in the chin. I'm was over 6 feet tall even then. His leg was bent, but my God! Definitely greater than 40 inch vertical. Oh, and this was the first play of the game. I looked over at my coach and all the blood had drained from his face. Luckily Pickens only played about 8 minutes, but that was enough to sink us and demoralize me. Trust me, no one was happier when he turned out to be a superstar his Freshman year at UT!

Last edited:
2010s: Justin Hunter
2000s: Donte Stallworth
1990s: Joey Kent
1980s: Carl Pickens
1970s: Richmond Flowers
1960s: wasnt around

2010s: Justin Hunter
2000s: Donte Stallworth
1990s: Joey Kent
1980s: Carl Pickens
1970s: Richmond Flowers
1960s: wasnt around
You may want to reconsider a couple of your picks. Richmond Flowers graduated from U.T. in 1968. Carl Pickens caught only 7 passes for 81 yards in the 1980's. His success was in 1990-91.

Pickens. He could do it all. Return kicks, punts and play safety. I remember a Thursday night game between Tennessee and Louisville. Carter, who returned punts was put out of the game with a big hit. Pickens was the back up punt returner who promptly returned the first punt he fielded for a touchdown.

When I heard there was a show coming out called Duck Dynasty I thought it was about Craig Faulkner. :) He caught some of the worst looking passes Ive ever seen. He didnt have great numbers like some of the other great Vol WRs but he is my favorite Vol by far. He had great speed, great hands, and was tuff as hell.

fbpro19931127001jpgs1.jpg

utuf92fulmer1.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I was a freshman at UT in 1974 and the Sievers catch to which you alluded remains one of the most incredibly athletic plays that I have ever witnessed, one made by Condredge Holloway and Larry Sievers. Condredge retreated and reversed field back to the 19 yard line before heaving the ball deep into the back of the endzone, just as he was going down. Larry made a tremendous leaping catch to give us the 29-28 victory.

I was also at the game. It was the greatest single play in the greatest comeback of the greatest game in Vol history in my opinion.

When I heard there was a show coming out called Duck Dynasty I thought it was about Craig Faulkner. :) He caught some of the worst looking passes Ive ever seen. He didnt have great numbers like some of the other great Vol WRs but he is my favorite Vol by far. He had great speed, great hands, and was tuff as hell.

fbpro19931127001jpgs1.jpg

utuf92fulmer1.jpg

Craig Faulkner could play no doubt. Gets lost a bit in the conversation because we've had so many great ones, but he was as dependable and steady as they come.

I was also at the game. It was the greatest single play in the greatest comeback of the greatest game in Vol history in my opinion.

Mine was the 91 Miracle and the play that stands out the most to me is Floyd Miley's fg block and run back right before the half.

Pickens is definitely up there. But I have to go with Peerless Price. He played with Manning so he had some help obviously, but he was towards the top in every receiving category every year.

VN Store

Back