Who is the best WR of all time at UT?

I'm a youngblood on this board...but for me it's Kelly Washington. If I have fond memories of looking in at a receiver play, it's definitely with Washington.

Woah! You'd seriously rank that one ahead of Notre Dame '91?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No doubt, the Notre Dame comeback was incredible. But that Clemson win was just so shocking and thrilling, especially the two point conversion. It really was a wing and a prayer play with Holloway. And it helps that I was in the stadium-I wasn't there for the Notre Dame game.

Any list that does not include Carl Pickens is not worth reading. Everything else is acceptable.

Any list without Pickens is incomplete.

I replied before I saw this. Many of you "youngsters" have no idea how dominant a receiver could be.

Pickens is hands down better than any UT receiver since he left. And probably most of the ones before him.

And it really isn't close.

"Of all time" is difficult to choose, I would say of each era would be a better division of greats. We've had quite a few at WR through the years

I replied before I saw this. Many of you "youngsters" have no idea how dominant a receiver could be.

Pickens is hands down better than any UT receiver since he left. And probably most of the ones before him.

And it really isn't close.

Exactly. You can't pick anyone Manning was throwing to because he hid their faults. They weren't good, Manning was good. (Seriously, check their NFL careers. Not a single real NFL receiver among his targets.)

Pickens had, IIRC, Andy Kelly throwing to him. While I will always have good memories of Andy Kelly, an elite QB he was not. Which makes Pickens' stats all the more impressive.

Exactly. You can't pick anyone Manning was throwing to because he hid their faults. They weren't good, Manning was good. (Seriously, check their NFL careers. Not a single real NFL receiver among his targets.)

Pickens had, IIRC, Andy Kelly throwing to him. While I will always have good memories of Andy Kelly, an elite QB he was not. Which makes Pickens' stats all the more impressive.

Pickens was also great on some very bad Bengals teams. Phenomenal player.

I agree with your general premise. Joey Kent and Marcus Nash were good, not great, receivers, who benefitted immensely from being on the receiving end of Peyton Manning passes.

You are, however, forgetting Peerless Price, who enjoyed an eight-year career in the NFL, and posted 403 receptions in the league for 5,281 yds. and 31 touchdowns, including a 2002 season in which he was a Pro Bowl alternate, with 94 receptions for 1,252 yards, and nine touchdowns. Those numbers don't exactly qualify as shabby.

Peerless also had two good years with Peyton. "During his 1996 sophomore campaign, Price pulled in 32 receptions for three touchdowns and 609 yards. . . . In the 1997 season, he started every game and emerged as a legitimate deep threat. He finished with 48 receptions, netting 698 yards and six touchdowns and helped guide the Vols to an SEC championship" (Peerless Price - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Last edited:
Donte Stallworth........I remember him playing with a cast on his hand and still hauling in touchdown passes....amazing.

I agree with your general premise. Joey Kent and Marcus Nash were good, not great, receivers, who benefitted immensely from being on the receiving end of Peyton Manning passes.

You are, however, forgetting Peerless Price, who enjoyed an eight-year career in the NFL, and posted 403 receptions in the league for 5,281 yds. and 31 touchdowns, including a 2002 season in which he was a Pro Bowl alternate, with 94 receptions for 1,252 yards, and nine touchdowns. Those numbers don't exactly qualify as shabby.

Peerless also had two good years with Peyton. "During his 1996 sophomore campaign, Price pulled in 32 receptions for three touchdowns and 609 yards. . . . In the 1997 season, he started every game and emerged as a legitimate deep threat. He finished with 48 receptions, netting 698 yards and six touchdowns and helped guide the Vols to an SEC championship" (Peerless Price - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

You're right about Price, I had forgotten he overlapped Manning. Imagine the numbers if Price and Pickens had played with Manning over 4 years.

VN Store

Back