Who Needs Free Speech? The Government will Protect Us

Gov should take steps to restrict false information online, even if it limits freedom of information

• Agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • don't restrict my pie

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
I think the issue is the conflation of what is "free speech" and what is just speech. and I believe both sides are muddying those waters to avoid dealing with issues they don't have partisan answers for.

I think what’s even more shocking about that poll is that almost 40% of reps or those who lean rep support such restrictions.

It constantly amazes me how dumb the average American actually is. This is why our politicians are garbage. They’re just a reflection of our people.

I think what’s even more shocking about that poll is that almost 40% of reps or those who lean rep support such restrictions.

It constantly amazes me how dumb the average American actually is. This is why our politicians are garbage. They’re just a reflection of our people.

the age trend is interesting - older folks more supportive of government suppression.

Reactions: Matt2496
I think the issue is the conflation of what is "free speech" and what is just speech. and I believe both sides are muddying those waters to avoid dealing with issues they don't have partisan answers for.

well, I really don't see how anyone could support the government restricting speech that is deemed "misinformation" and I don't see how that isn't a free speech issue.

Reactions: AM64
There are only a few subjects with absolute accuracy. Math is one. Which means the vast majority is some blend of fact, opinion, and extrapolation.
I can get behind limiting falsehoods in absolute subjects. All other subjects are, "hands off my lies, Unkie Sam!"

Reactions: AM64 and PEPPERJAX
There are only a few subjects with absolute accuracy. Math is one. Which means the vast majority is some blend of fact, opinion, and extrapolation.
I can get behind limiting falsehoods in absolute subjects. All other subjects are, "hands off my lies, Unkie Sam!"

can you give an example?

Reactions: McDad

Get behind the .gov limiting?

can you give an example?
Sure. Government spokesperson says the budget is reducing 5% over last year. When, in fact, the rate of increase is reduced 5%. 100M budget which grows 5M per year. 5% reduction is 5M. 5% in rate of growth is 250k.

Reactions: AM64
Pregnant women?

Eight packs a day.

Look, we live in a free society or we don't. If a pregnant woman takes a LW post on volnation seriously and starts smoking 8 packs a day, it should be on her, not the government for not removing it. There are plenty of resources on the web that allows a person to make their own informed opinion.

It's the beginning of the end once the government starts determining what people should and shouldn't believe.

VN Store

Back