Who Needs Free Speech? The Government will Protect Us

Gov should take steps to restrict false information online, even if it limits freedom of information

• Agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • don't restrict my pie

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
Look, we live in a free society or we don't. If a pregnant woman takes a LW post on volnation seriously and starts smoking 8 packs a day, it should be on her, not the government for not removing it. There are plenty of resources on the web that allows a person to make their own informed opinion.

It's the beginning of the end once the government starts determining what people should and shouldn't believe.

he kinda proved government shouldn't restrict it since he posted it online - if that misinformation requires restrictions then he wouldn't have been able to post as he did

so the government should restrict itself from misinformation? popsicle in Hell time
It's tongue in cheek.

I'm illustrating why this never sees the light of day (assuming pols would be subject to the same restrictions...which is a bad assumption on my part).

Reactions: AM64
he kinda proved government shouldn't restrict it since he posted it online - if that misinformation requires restrictions then he wouldn't have been able to post as he did

Exactly…unless Freak has rules prohibiting the intentional posting of misinformation, which is what I did.

Depressing results from Pew. Must have multiple responses from Turbo in there.

Most Americans favor restrictions on false information, violent content online

Dems have gone of the deep end on this issue.

View attachment 565439
every LG thread is misinformation - should the government tell Freak to delete them all? Oh wait, I'm actually in favor of that - nevermind

Speaking of which, your OP is extremely misleading in that you 1) have omitted most Americans, of all parties, want more filtering of false information and 2) that its a combination of government and tech companies that Dems support filtering out false info more than Republicans. The lead of the story is:

Most Americans say the U.S. government and technology companies should each take steps to restrict false information and extremely violent content online. However, there is more support for tech companies moderating these types of content than for the federal government doing so, according to a new Pew Research Center survey.

Moreover, you are not asking the important question: why?

The reason is obvious to me, and that is that there has been a concerted effort by a combination of groups to mislead the American people in a manner that has, for the time being, been more at the expense of progressive causes than conservative ones. And it has had consequences.

Note the rise of people like MTG to positions of power, largely premised on National Enquirer-level research she has read on line about her pet peeves. This is a frequent issue for the extreme right in this country, and an echo chamber founded on clicks feeds it for financial gain.

Or, look at the concerted, organized effort of Russia or other foreign disinformation peddlers who have attempted, with varying degrees of success, to influence US elections.

Note I said "for the time being." That is because right now the amount of distortion and false information being promoted that attacks the Dems and the left in this country is much higher than the Republicans and conservatives. As discussed many times that has to do with the shifting demographics in the country and the resentment class which is ripe for the picking by those who make money appealing to that resentment.

Speaking of which, your OP is extremely misleading in that you 1) have omitted most Americans, of all parties, want more filtering of false information and 2) that its a combination of government and tech companies that Dems support filtering out false info more than Republicans. The lead of the story is:

The reason is obvious to me, and that is that there has been a concerted effort by a combination of groups to mislead the American people in a manner that has, for the time being, been more at the expense of progressive causes than conservative ones. And it has had consequences.

Note the rise of people like MTG to positions of power, largely premised on National Enquirer-level research she has read on line about her pet peeves. This is a frequent issue for the extreme right in this country, and an echo chamber founded on clicks feeds it for financial gain.

Or, look at the concerted, organized effort of Russia or other foreign disinformation peddlers who have attempted, with varying degrees of success, to influence US elections.

Note I said "for the time being." That is because right now the amount of distortion and false information being promoted that attacks the Dems and the left in this country is much higher than the Republicans and conservatives. As discussed many times that has to do with the shifting demographics in the country and the resentment class which is ripe for the picking by those who make money appealing to that resentment.

Oh brother, what hogwash.

Misinformation overload:

I didn't omit the information - I posted the link which directly says "most Americans..."

The reason it is now "most" is that Democrats have made a major change in their view - Republicans have stayed roughly the same.

The rest of your post is partisan blather and you've outed yourself as being in favor of the government restricting what it deems to be misinformation. Sadly, you'll get what you ask for I'm afraid.

🤣...what a load of 💩

Reactions: StarRaider
Misinformation overload:

I didn't omit the information - I posted the link which directly says "most Americans..."

The reason it is now "most" is that Democrats have made a major change in their view - Republicans have stayed roughly the same.

The rest of your post is partisan blather and you've outed yourself as being in favor of the government restricting what it deems to be misinformation. Sadly, you'll get what you ask for I'm afraid.

He was in full support of government misinformation during the Russiagate mess and Covid.

I wish somebody would vote to restrict nonsense like this.

He was in full support of government misinformation during the Russiagate mess and Covid.

It’s time LG and others like him come to terms with how comfortable they are with totalitarian methods.

Speech monitoring. Jailing / isolating those who didn’t follow government COVID suggestions. Domestic spying by government agencies.

This is who they are now, even if they don’t want to believe it.

It’s time LG and others like him come to terms with how comfortable they are with totalitarian methods.

Speech monitoring. Jailing / isolating those who didn’t follow government COVID suggestions. Domestic spying by government agencies.

Don't forget banning accounts and taking licenses away from HCPs that dissented.

hot air, you can't idiot proof anything, or protect everyone

Reactions: AM64 and Vol737
well, I really don't see how anyone could support the government restricting speech that is deemed "misinformation" and I don't see how that isn't a free speech issue.
I mean it does already. Most people don't have a problem with libel being restricted.

misinformation is often extrapolated to be libel, "harmful to so and so" or some protected group. or they go on about how some politician is using lies to push an agenda which does impact people, or they take exception to the wrong colored (blue vs red) media pushing a slant.

plenty of people want the right of free speech restricted for people/ideas/phrases they don't agree with.

I could also point to how a lot of terminology is also defacto restricted. again with a lot of people not realizing the difference between speech and the right of free speech as it pertains to the government.

The flip side is people also expect free speech to come without repercussions. point is I think there are a large number of people who are supportive without fully understanding the actual implications of it. What's ironic is that the government would likely get this pushed through via their own misinformation.

Reactions: AM64

I'm not at all comfortable with it. In fact, I oppose pre-publication censorship.

On the other hand, I am in theory in favor of there being severe financial (and in the most extreme cases, criminal) sanction for those who intentionally spread disinformation. Even worse where it is done knowingly.

You want to gain clicks and take in some dollars from the QAnon rubes by posting nonsense about a pizza place with a sex den in the basement? Ok. But when that is shown to be utter nonsense, you will be held financially accountable to the point you and others contemplating the same thing might think twice next time.

VN Store

Back