Who would Tennessee’s DC candidates be if Banks leaves?

NighthawkVol

I think there’s a decent chance Tim Banks is a mid-major head coach next year. He got some interviews this past offseason and the job he’s done building this defense hasn’t been unnoticed.

The good news is, when Heupel has to replace him, it’s going to be a very desirable job. Some names off the top of my head:

Dave Arranda- he’s been on the hot seat at Baylor. If he’s fired, maybe he’d want to get back in the SEC as a DC. This would be a home run.

Bryan Brown- Cincinnati- a former Ole Miss DB from Mississippi. Considered a good young DC and would have ties to DeRail Sims.

Manny Diaz- Not sure how realistic, but he’s at Penn State now. Used to coach at MTSU, so had ties to the state. Might want to get back in the SEC. EDIT: I'VE BEEN CORRECTED- MANNY IS NOW AT DUKE AS HEAD COACH. MARK HIM OFF.

Other names?

Last edited:
I think there’s a decent chance Tim Banks is a mid-major head coach next year. He got some interviews this past offseason and the job he’s done building this defense hasn’t been unnoticed.

The good news is, when Heupel has to replace him, it’s going to be a very desirable job. Some names off the top of my head:

Dave Arranda- he’s been on the hot seat at Baylor. If he’s fired, maybe he’d want to get back in the SEC as a DC. This would be a home run.

Bryan Brown- Cincinnati- a former Ole Miss DB from Mississippi. Considered a good young DC and would have ties to DeRail Sims.

Manny Diaz- Not sure how realistic, but he’s at Penn State now. Used to coach at MTSU, so had ties to the state. Might want to get back in the SEC.

Other names?

Diaz is the HC at Duke, so this one likely isn't realistic.

I agree with others that Inge seems to fit the role. Heupel seems to like promoting internally as well once his assistants get up to speed.

I am not thinking any further ahead than the OU game and the whopping that Bank's D is gonna put on those Sooners. But if I were Banks and if a mid-major came knocking, I probably wouldn't open the door because with two more successful years with the Vols a major will be knocking.
I am pretty sure Heupel has a list of coaches he would bring in if any offer assistants find a better job. He likes to promote from within when possible, but when go outside, he has very successful in his hires. He is not afraid to go for the best.

Can we win something substantial first? I'm still not sold on Banks. This year will convince me. Let's see how we do against the big boys. We have the talent to be a Top 10 D in the USA at the end of the season, IMO.

Reactions: #1fulmerite
So was Brent Venables at Clemson…until he wasn’t. He turned down numerous chances over the years cause he was happy as a DC. We get to show him taking a head coach job was a mistake Saturday. GB 🍊
Venables got OU job offer cause 1) he was a firmer OU DC & 2) he had several successful seasons there & at Clemson. All due respects to Banks but he is not getting an OU-type job.

Wow, we went from firing Banks to now having to find a replacement for him because he's going to get a head coaching job in just 3 games.
Like I said, Banks interviewed for at least one job (MTSU) after last season. So the notion that he’ll be a head coach one day didn’t come about in the last 3 games. He’s very respected in the coaching world. Folks in the know understood how little he had to work with his first few years at Tennessee, even if some of our shoot first/think later fans did not.

But yes, the start to this season has done nothing to slow down his career trajectory.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
So was Brent Venables at Clemson…until he wasn’t. He turned down numerous chances over the years cause he was happy as a DC. We get to show him taking a head coach job was a mistake Saturday. GB 🍊
If we could keep Banks at DC for as long as Venables stayed DC and until he gets a premier HC job offer, that would be great.

Manny Diaz- Not sure how realistic, but he’s at Penn State now. Used to coach at MTSU, so had ties to the state. Might want to get back in the SEC.

Other names?
Diaz is the Duke HC.

VN Store

Back