Who would you say is the best coach in the NCAAM Basketball?

I think the point is that once (insert you winner here) wins it all two mondays from now, it will have 7 years without a duke title. Looking at the body of work though, Duke is still regularly contending for ACC regular season titles (a title I don't believe is actually counted) and tourney titles. They have struggled in the postseason though.

Yes.

he's still won a good number of ACC tourney titles and claimed the best regular season ACC record many times in the past seven years. A few more years of doing nothing in the Big Dance will diminish his status as "right now" coach, but for the time being his resume is still better than anyone else IMO.

he's still won a good number of ACC tourney titles and claimed the best regular season ACC record many times in the past seven years. A few more years of doing nothing in the Big Dance will diminish his status as "right now" coach, but for the time being his resume is still better than anyone else IMO.
forget the Championships, he went to something crazy like 7 of 11 Final Fours. The final 4 is a crapshoot in a one and done format, but getting there that much is an incredible feat in modern basketball.

forget the Championships, he went to something crazy like 7 of 11 Final Fours. The final 4 is a crapshoot in a one and done format, but getting there that much is an incredible feat in modern basketball.

undoubtedly, but I was simply to this seven year stretch where Duke hasn't done as well in March.

undoubtedly, but I was simply to this seven year stretch where Duke hasn't done as well in March.
I understand and agree. The McRoberts and Paulus class put a hurt on 'em. Everyone is going to experience some recruiting busts and it takes a bit of time to overcome them. Even at that, however, they've still never been very far removed from the NC discussion.

Guess I want to draw a very clear distinction between the disaster that Fulmer has become and the struggles of K.

I understand and agree. The McRoberts and Paulus class put a hurt on 'em. Everyone is going to experience some recruiting busts and it takes a bit of time to overcome them. Even at that, however, they've still never been very far removed from the NC discussion.

Guess I want to draw a very clear distinction between the disaster that Fulmer has become and the struggles of K.

TennNC and I rarely agree, but I don't think he would even compare Fulmer's struggles to K's.

TennNC and I rarely agree, but I don't think he would even compare Fulmer's struggles to K's.
I understand, but the discussion of 7 years of coming up empty was starting to sound like Fulmer discussions and I wanted to draw a strong distinction. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

however TennNC the thread needs no clarity. If I could pull all those coaches to be on my team, the question is who would be the head coach. Who has enough of all the traits you broke down to be considered the best?

No, I wouldn't. Apples to oranges, but K >>> Fulmer.

But I also don't think that one Final Four appearance in 7 seasons makes K the best coach right now.

however TennNC the thread needs no clarity. If I could pull all those coaches to be on my team, the question is who would be the head coach. Who has enough of all the traits you broke down to be considered the best?

I'll let you flip a coin and tell me: Roy or Pitino.

Google Sam Gilbert. That should get you all the information you need.

So you are saying that all of UCLA's basketball accomplishments are tainted? That's a hilarious allegation if you know anything about Wooden.

Perhaps your statement is driven by the embarrassment that before TN had its first black basketball player (1971) UCLA has already won 5 National Championships in basketball. Go read "The Arrival and Ascendance of Black Athletes in the Southeastern Conference, 1966-1981."

ucla051.jpg

Cheers.

So you are saying that all of UCLA's basketball accomplishments are tainted? That's a hilarious allegation if you know anything about Wooden.

Perhaps your statement is driven by the embarrassment that before TN had its first black basketball player (1971) UCLA has already won 5 National Championships in basketball. Go read "The Arrival and Ascendance of Black Athletes in the Southeastern Conference, 1966-1981."

View attachment 12901

Cheers.
Why would I read a rehash of history I'm already aware of? If you think victories by players procured by a mobster aren't tainted, I'm sure you're an ardent defender of your crosstown rivals. They only take money from sleazy agents. Just because you Wooden sycophants think willful blindness to corruption around your program is a defense doesn't mean the rest of the nation has to be so cluelessly naive.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

View attachment 12901

Cheers.
The only thing I'm slightly embarrassed about is the fact that it seems we're going to have to deal with a UCLA fan more idiotic than Cal's own Teddyhead.

Cheers.

If you had to pick one guy, who would it be?

I would use as the criteria any current coach who has gotten to the Final Four MULTIPLE times. To me that indicates the coach can:

1. Get talent and re-stock talent
2. Adapt to different lineups and different talent
3. Keep the team focused for more than one season

Based on that, I would put the following CURRENT coaches in a league of their own, in alphabetical order:

Donovan
Howland
Izzo
Krzyzewski
Williams

Did I leave anyone out?

View attachment 12902

Cheers

I would use as the criteria any current coach who has gotten to the Final Four MULTIPLE times. To me that indicates the coach can:

1. Get talent and re-stock talent
2. Adapt to different lineups and different talent
3. Keep the team focused for more than one season

Based on that, I would put the following CURRENT coaches in a league of their own, in alphabetical order:

Donovan
Howland
Izzo
Krzyzewski
Williams

Did I leave anyone out?

View attachment 12902

Cheers
Yeah, a guy with multiple National Championships(Calhoun), and a guy who has taken 3 different schools to the Final Four(Pitino). If you're going to talk hoops, you might want to have a clue.
Not everyone around here is as nice as I am.

Yeah, a guy with multiple National Championships(Calhoun), and a guy who has taken 3 different schools to the Final Four(Pitino). If you're going to talk hoops, you might want to have a clue.

I was reading through this and thought of calhoun and coach k, but i'll admit pitino slipped my mind.. i like him too.

I knew I had left out at least a couple. I've always like Calhoun and Pitino too. Oh well, not the end of the world.

Cheers

Over the years Coach K from Duke has really proved himself and I also like Bob Knight, coached the only undefeated team ever, cant knock that

No. The '76 Hoosiers were the last team to go undefeated, but San Francisco, North Carolina, and UCLA (four times) have all won it with undefeated teams.

VN Store

Back