Who would you say is the best coach in the NCAAM Basketball?

K, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, Bill Self, Rick Pitino, Tim Floyd, Ben Howland, Bob Huggins, Tubby Smith, John Calipari, Bo Ryan, Billy Donovan, Billy Gillispie, Thad Matta, Rick Barnes, Tom Izzo.

That list is hard to argue with Hat. :hi:

Billy D has reached 3 championship games in the last 8 years.....won 2 of them. Not too shabby.

Over the years Coach K from Duke has really proved himself and I also like Bob Knight, coached the only undefeated team ever, cant knock that

John Wooden had a few undefeated teams. Bobby was probably the last person to do it with Quinn Buckner and those guys.

John Wooden had a few undefeated teams. Bobby was probably the last person to do it with Quinn Buckner and those guys.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Knight was the last to do it in 1976, but San Francisco did it in '56 under Phil Woolpert, UNC in '57 under Frank McGuire, and UCLA did it four times under Wooden ('64, '67, '72, '73)

Billy D has reached 3 championship games in the last 8 years.....won 2 of them. Not too shabby.

I was almost ready to bump him ahead of Roy Williams until that collapse last season...Roy lost over 90% of his scoring compared to 70% for UF after his NC season but he still won 12 conf games in a better conf. and made the second rd of the NCAA tourney...Billy could not...with comparable young talent.

a_krzyzewski_vt.jpg

This man hands down.

Roy Williams isn't even the best coach in his own conference with the last name Williams

You really think Gary Williams is a better coach?

absolutely. Taking Maryland to multiple Final Fours and having them contend as often as they have is far better than the choke jobs Roy Williams has done with Kansas and UNC. Especially the talent laden teams that Roy has coached. And before anyone says something about getting that talent there, it's far easier to get talent to Lawrence and Chapel Hill than it is to bring someone into College Park.

absolutely. Taking Maryland to multiple Final Fours and having them contend as often as they have is far better than the choke jobs Roy Williams has done with Kansas and UNC. Especially the talent laden teams that Roy has coached. And before anyone says something about getting that talent there, it's far easier to get talent to Lawrence and Chapel Hill than it is to bring someone into College Park.
Roy is a choke machine like his mentor. I'm with you, that makes this at least a viable argument. Roy might have a slight edge, but it's not a given.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Roy is a choke machine like his mentor. I'm with you, that makes this at least a viable argument. Roy might have a slight edge, but it's not a given.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I believe that if Gary is at Kansas/UNC and Roy winds up at Maryland (let's ignore the BC and OSU Gary days), it wouldn't be a question. Roy wouldn't even enter the equation.

wouldnt you rather choke in the big game..than just contend?? It's a crap shoot once you make the Final Four.

Gary Williams = 585 career victories in 29 seasons overall
Roy Williams = 524 wins in 19 seasons, a win percentage that is fourth-best in history.

Both have National Titles and multiply final four appearances. Not taking anything away from Gary but Roy is a better coach.:thumbsup:

wouldnt you rather choke in the big game..than just contend?? It's a crap shoot once you make the Final Four.

Last time I checked, Gary has just as many national titles. I really hate this "crapshoot" idea. Everyone comes up with that excuse for every sport when their favorite/best team doesn't win.

If Gary's at UNC, he'd have 3 or 4 titles by now. But he loves his alma mater even more than Roy loves his.

Gary Williams = 585 career victories in 29 seasons overall
Roy Williams = 524 wins in 19 seasons, a win percentage that is fourth-best in history.

Both have National Titles and multiply final four appearances. Not taking anything away from Gary but Roy is a better coach.:thumbsup:

but again one had the luxury of coaching in two of the most tradition laden programs in the country. The other took over for a team still reeling from the death of Bias 3 years prior and then got railed with NCAA sanctions from the previous coach.

Last time I checked, Gary has just as many national titles. I really hate this "crapshoot" idea. Everyone comes up with that excuse for every sport when their favorite/best team doesn't win.

If Gary's at UNC, he'd have 3 or 4 titles by now. But he loves his alma mater even more than Roy loves his.

You just dont know that..Gary may not have won any at UNC..and come on..when you reach the Final Four any of those teams can win..it is a crapshoot.

but again one had the luxury of coaching in two of the most tradition laden programs in the country. The other took over for a team still reeling from the death of Bias 3 years prior and then got railed with NCAA sanctions from the previous coach.

Same for Roy at KU

well Roy williams took over a pitiful program in North Carolina in 2003 he replaced Matt Doherty, when it was all that doherty could do to take them to the NIT. Then in April of 2005 Carolina wins a national title......

VN Store

Back