Why Clausen Should Start Thread

I would have no problem with RC being the qb this yr, I was very impressed with his leadership last yr and his athletic ability , whlie not as good as EA's , was underrated. at the beginning of last season I blasted RC pretty bad and I humbly apologize again. with all that said I think Ainge is going to be the man come fall, and i think it will be because of what he learned watching RC run things.

Rick's a little shorter than Ainge, which makes quite a bit of difference, imo. I notice during the Notre Dame game, a few blocked passes from the line..Ainge's height helps him stay above the line to see better, and keep from blocks as often.

About the Peyton comparison...you have to remember Peyton was the #3 QB, Ainge came in as co-#1 and his season was cut short. There's no telling how good he'll be next year.

Originally posted by jwells@Apr 22, 2005 12:15 PM
you have to remember Peyton was the #3 QB, Ainge came in as co-#1 and his season was cut short. There's no telling how good he'll be next year.

Very true. Hard to believe Manning was ever third on a depth chart. There's no doubt that Ainge was physically light years ahead of Manning. The question is will he progress half as much between year 1 and year 2 as Manning did?

(forgive me for contributing to another QB thread. . . .I think I have a problem)

I'm a little nervous by hearing that he forced some throws in the O&W game. That's part of his play that I would like to see "mature" before calling him the second coming of P-E-Y-T-O-N.

my thoughts exactly ainge forces throws and quite a few times throws across the field

Originally posted by GAVol@Apr 22, 2005 12:59 PM
The question is will he progress half as much between year 1 and year 2 as Manning did?

Which brings up question 2, can he work as hard a Peyton did? Ainge should make Manning his role model, if he hasn't already.

in my mind and i like ainge but people talks about him as if hes brought a national championship to knoxville hes no where near manning and never will be

to me it'll be real sad if rick doesnt start this year and as far as his arm strength come on we run the ball we aren't florida of 96 he just needs to manage the game which he does great

Originally posted by vols1@Apr 22, 2005 2:57 PM
in my mind and i like ainge but people talks about him as if hes brought a national championship to knoxville hes no where near manning and never will be

Nobody has annointed Ainge with anything. The coaches will evaluate and put the best guy on the field.

If Clausen is ready to start and lead this team and is the better prepared QB, I am all for letting him start.

But Ainge has much better physical and mental tools and could be our answer for several more years. That is just my opinion.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a situation like what happen at texas with major applegate and Chris simms. That could get ugly for us real fast.

Originally posted by volmanjr@Apr 22, 2005 4:10 PM
who cares as long as whoever it is is putting up w's

Exactly. But as easy as that is to say, if we struggle against a bad team the "Why didn't we kill them" questions will surface

Originally posted by U&#045;T+Apr 22, 2005 2:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (U-T @ Apr 22, 2005 2:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-volmanjr@Apr 22, 2005 4:10 PM
who cares as long as whoever it is is putting up w&#39;s

Exactly. But as easy as that is to say, if we struggle against a bad team the "Why didn&#39;t we kill them" questions will surface [/quote]
When it happens against teams like Vandy and Kentucky, it&#39;s a legit question.

Every QB has bad games, Danny did against Vandy at times and Peyton struggled against some lower-level teams as well

Originally posted by U&#045;T@Apr 22, 2005 4:39 PM
Every QB has bad games, Danny did against Vandy at times and Peyton struggled against some lower-level teams as well

Those Vandy teams in the mid 90&#39;s aren&#39;t like the Vandy teams of today. Those teams had a very good pass defense every year. Remember Peyton only threw 1 TD pass against Vandy in 4 years.

ainge having better mental tools than rick is a in accurate statement with all do respect

i really dont think ainge is as smart mentally on the field as clausen as a matter of fact not many people do

Originally posted by vols1@Apr 22, 2005 5:59 PM
ainge having better mental tools than rick is a in accurate statement with all do respect

Why?

I completely disagree. I love Clausen and he did an OUTSTANDING job last year at times.

But for the future, I would take Ainge.

Originally posted by vols1@Apr 22, 2005 6:12 PM
i really dont think ainge is as smart mentally on the field as clausen as a matter of fact not many people do

I agree, but he won&#39;t get smarter on the field by staying off it.

VN Store

Back