Why Music Sucks Now

Prime country, tons of good metal, the golden age of rap, and house/trance music was entering its best years...
It really was an awesome decade. Being born in ‘84, im so glad that I grew up then. I’m gonna get to knock off quite a few bands to see live on the bucket list in September, this isn’t a bad lineup and I’ve got my tickets for me and my teen daughters.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 9
My point is, there are now so many who  need autotune rather than those who use it to enhance. I am all for using it to enhance a sound, but if you just suck at your craft but you look good onstage and autotune makes you sound good...does that make more sense?
Out of tune grinds my gears, be it vocals or instruments.

Attachments

• Pitch_bark in tune.jpg
    Pitch_bark in tune.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: SmokeyGrayCA
It really was an awesome decade. Being born in ‘84, im so glad that I grew up then. I’m gonna get to knock off quite a few bands to see live on the bucket list in September, this isn’t a bad lineup and I’ve got my tickets for me and my teen daughters.
I first saw Gwen when this cool new band nobody knew about opened for 311 at the old Electric Ballroom years ago. She came out in a diamond-studded bra and three of the band members played horns. We were witnessing the explosion of the Ska scene.

Reactions: Orange931
I don't think it does. I would say that we live in a time where it's very accessible to find something to listen to - as well as to create. We're overloaded with people who make music to the point where it's just more difficult to find the gems.

Also, I have a hunch that people have a very narrow sphere of influence when it comes to what they listen to or how deeply they explore.

Modern day music critics also haven't really caught up. Leonard Cohen spoke about this once and I tend to agree:

"Most music criticism is in the 19th century. It's so far behind, say, the criticism of painting. It's still based on 19th century art - cows beside a stream and trees and 'I know what I like'. There's no concession to the fact that Dylan might be a more sophisticated singer than Whitney Houston, that he's probably the most sophisticated singer we've had in a generation. Dylan's a Picasso - that exuberance, range, and assimilation of the whole history of music."

It doesn't suck, we're just being smothered by it. Which is to some extent what he is talking about. The accessibility and the pace of technology.

Speaking of "smothering". This is a song called 'Don't Smother It' by Skeletons. A song that only has 2.2k views. And in mind much more interesting than what has millions of views these days. Because hey, I can't tap my foot to it and I don't hear a singer who sounds like what I hear on the radio.

Big bag of barf!!

Reactions: GroverCleveland
I listened to that Skeltons "song." Sorry, but that's horrible.

Somebody else mentioned T-Pain. I'll admit, good beats and not bad to drive home to today.

I would love some new suggestions to check out this weekend.

A couple I've been enjoying recently are:

Endless, Dawn -- Sultan + Shephard
In the Half Light - Swim Surreal, Zero 7

Somebody else mentioned T-Pain. I'll admit, good beats and not bad to drive home to today.

You know about the Teskey Bros?

Not everyone will like it. I listen to a lot of music, it's what I'm most passionate about. I grew up playing music and creating art, plus I spent time managing a record label and listening to a lot of unsigned/underground artists. 'Skeletons' is pretty experimental or avant garde leaning. I appreciate that kind of music as an expression or an idea. (Like I said, it's not really something you tap your foot to.) They are probably a more experimental version of bands like 'M83' or 'Sigur Ros' and pretty level with bands like 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor'. I'm someone who will listen to other stuff like that - for instance 'Laurie Anderson', 'Captain Beefheart', 'Tom Waits', 'Butthole Surfers', or 'The Residents'. It's unsettling and dissonant.

Last edited:
I would love to find some good new rock. Royal Blood is the last newish band I’ve found that’s good.

To me, you're almost better off getting into an old rock band you never gave enough attention to. It's hard to find new rock bands I like. I think it's partly mental for me because it always feel like new rock bands are doing an impression, or something. Like they're trying to fabricate this thing that only exists in the past. Arcade Fire is the only 21st century rock band that's in my all-time favorite list, and they sound nothing like anybody before them.

I really, really like War on Drugs but the thing that keeos them from ascending up my list is guy sounds like Tom Petty. I don't dislike that but I also can't get that out of my head every time I listen to it, and it's distracting

Last edited:
Reactions: Panthro

VN Store

Back