Will the end of the Pandemic Unemployment Benefits turn a worker's market into a manager's market?

More and severe inflation seems inevitable. Question is whether it will be temporary.
inflation isn't temporary. inflation is the norm for us. periods of deflation are temporary.

eta: severe inflation is temporary.

Reactions: AM64
I made 2500/wk work in Atlanta. You can make 40 bucks a week work for groceries. And not be pure ramen.

You arent paying property taxes at minimum wage.

It's my continuous rant. People want to live in a mcmansion, drive the newest mustang, three kids, have the newest phones and other widgets and then complain that 7.25 an hour isnt enough. Its backwards.

You make 7.25, so you rent a crappy apartment, you have a crappy used car. No phones or widgets. And you have enough let to feed, clothe, and medicate yourself.

Our nation has no concept of what is actually required for sustenance.
Why is it the team that pushed Darwinism doesn't let it play out? If you can't afford to feed and house yourself, or hook up with someone who can........

Reactions: LouderVol
Didn't the passage of ACA fix this issue? If not, then what is that program accomplishing?

That bill was flawed as hell to begin with, and it's been further neutered over the years. Entry position workers who aren't provided insurance by their companies are stuck with high deductible, high out of pocket plans that practically bankrupt them if they need anything other than urgent care or primary care services.

That bill was flawed as hell to begin with, and it's been further neutered over the years. Entry position workers who aren't provided insurance by their companies are stuck with high deductible, high out of pocket plans that practically bankrupt them if they need anything other than urgent care or primary care services.
Uh, well, it fooked everyone then because worker's who have insurance through their employer frequently have high deductibles, with lower overall coverage, too.

Aren't we starting the clock at 26yo now or no? How long does it take to get basic insurance?

It depends on how good a job the parents or guardians did in instilling a good work ethic in the younger years. I was offered my own restaurant to manage as head manager at 20, with salary and benefits. I know some 30 year old who can't manage to put the cereal back in their parents pantry.

The problem with entry level positions is if you get sick, you're sunk.
Yes, staying healthy is generally imprtant to ones continued well being.

They are entry level. They arent designed, or important enough to take care of all lifes issues. If you value civilization at all this is how it works. If you want people to better themselves then having the floor too high is an issue.

Reactions: AshG
It depends on how good a job the parents or guardians did in instilling a good work ethic in the younger years. I was offered my own restaurant to manage as head manager at 20, with salary and benefits. I know some 30 year old who can't manage to put the cereal back in their parents pantry.
When "it depends" becomes generational then there is an issue. By 26yo there needs to have been some effort put into creating a productive life. I start to lose sympathy once excuses go too far back.

Allowing only competent people to reproduce is more important to our future than voter registration, driver's licenses, and gun permits.

Demurrage is what is totally out of control right now.

Had to look that up; it was lurking somewhere in my head, but I couldn't remember what it was. There seems to be a huge disconnect between what's shipped, what's needed, and how the stuff is being moved after it gets to ports. It seems we're getting constipated with what the Chinese send and they want containers coming back empty so they can send more. At least that's what I'm making of what I read - reporting being what it is these days. I suppose if foreign shippers send all the big stuff to build cars and trucks, but assembly lines are stalled for the need of display chips and other integrated circuits; then the system that runs on just in time delivery and limited storage is bound to be constipated.

What is disgusting is the lack of any motivation to better oneself to make more money and greet a better job. What is disgusting is the obvious 'feeling' that you are owed something when you obviously have no skills. Go get them.

I think there's a lot of truth in that ... a whole lot. I also think it exposes the huge disconnect between management and those who produce. As an engineer, I fought that issue for years ... one group wants things done right (for lack of a better term) and the other wants them done according to schedules, budgets, and at the least cost. I'm reading The Sand Pebbles right now - sometimes when you read a different perspective on your own struggles, it's enlightening. From my perspective, I think issues like the ones plaguing some new planes probably had a lot to do with a management/engineering disconnect. In The Sand Pebbles the main character's problem is a disconnect between equipment readiness and a military process of form over function - not that form doesn't play a role when forces face off.

My brother is also retired military and a retired airline pilot, and we've discussed a lot of stuff about both over the years. Compensation being a sort of running joke between us. You and he were/are well compensated - with a smaller gap (although still huge) between your incomes and those of corporate executives. With that and a lot of job satisfaction, there's likely a lot less envy or whatever over compensation levels. For most people the gap is huge, they feel more a cog in the wheel, and the envy or whatever is a much greater source of dissatisfaction ... particularly when they see new directives from on high that simply screw up what was working. Executive compensation may actually not be a big issue on costs, but it really is a big issue on morale. I guess it's easier for those of us (even well compensated) to understand when we've struggled to put out good products despite corporate management.

For me personally, I generally loved every job I had hated the company (including the Army). I'm retired, happy, financially sound (not rich or really well off), but I wouldn't even consider stepping back into the working world. One thing most of us forget is that the CEOs and other corporate executives didn't start the companies they run (often into the ground). Many appear to be spoiled brats who clean up well - not at all a Henry Ford, for example; yet, they somehow carry themselves off as demigods.

There are plenty of good paying entry level jobs that provide training and a career path for the taking. What I see is people that either will not travel, won’t work nights or weekends or won’t relocate then complain that they can’t find a good paying job.

Reactions: Wireless1 and AM64
I work at Denso in Maryville, and they have ads on the radio. 15 an hour to start. These kids/adults dont wanna work 6 days a week for a comfortable life. Top out for a production associate is in the low 20/hr. Great insurance, great benefits. Also there is a barrier to entry that requires a clean urinalysis. Which is a major problem.

Reactions: Wireless1
How do you guys know so many lazy people that don't want to work? I literally can't think of a single person I know that doesn't work. I just personally haven't experienced this type of person.

VN Store

Back