Will the end of the Pandemic Unemployment Benefits turn a worker's market into a manager's market?

I don’t think I left them off, but in any case let’s say $2100. Then you still have over $600 month. And that’s with a nice apartment and car. So more than a “livable wage.”
Oh I agree with your conclusion

once I started working at 12 the longest I've been unemployed was 3 months in the summer between 11th and 12th grade.
I had two jobs in the summer of 1990 and kept both of them as school started until I got fired for missing a shift. The only job I've ever been fired from.

It was 2:30 in the afternoon (I was supposed to be there at 2:00) on the Saturday that Tennessee beat Florida. It was worth it I guess, because I hadn't see many more wins since then.

And at $26 an hour, there would be a whole lot of unemployed people.
Possibly. But that just tells you how much our USD has been devalued and how far behind wages have been kept down.

There is a reason why a man could work and raise a wife and kids on a mediocre salary up until the mid-1970s.

Reactions: Tyler Durden
And at $26 an hour, there would be a whole lot of unemployed people.

Yep, a lot of people are going to have to learn that we are now a part of a world market for goods, and that by default puts us in a semi world market for labor, too. Labor either resets expectations when globalism is the new deal, or the rest of the world eats our lunch ... and that's exactly what's happening. As a country, you can't keep buying foreign made goods without doing something to earn outside income ... it's just an upscale from the individual starving if he chooses not to work and runs out of assets to sell. Transoceanic shipping rates have apparently gone up about tenfold; that's a reprieve to get our act together, but it won't last long. I can't see US companies investing in plants and training if labor tries holding them hostage ... again.

I’ve been here almost a decade now, pleasantly surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed living here. Everyone here bitches about traffic, but being from Boston, traffic here is a breeze.

I've seen Boston traffic and refuse to drive there. Those people must be on drugs. Hallucinogens.

Yep, a lot of people are going to have to learn that we are now a part of a world market for goods, and that by default puts us in a semi world market for labor, too. Labor either resets expectations when globalism is the new deal, or the rest of the world eats our lunch ... and that's exactly what's happening. As a country, you can't keep buying foreign made goods without doing something to earn outside income ... it's just an upscale from the individual starving if he chooses not to work and runs out of assets to sell. Transoceanic shipping rates have apparently gone up about tenfold; that's a reprieve to get our act together, but it won't last long. I can't see US companies investing in plants and training if labor tries holding them hostage ... again.
Demurrage is what is totally out of control right now.

Reactions: AM64
There is still going to be a strong contingent that wont work. They will holler that the extra benefits got cut off. Racism, sexism, ageism whatever. Then there are going to be people afraid of Covid too. Some with legit concerns

Good luck getting by on $13/hr anywhere. Let's not act like $13/hr is a super duper deal for anybody anywhere. Corporations have been conducting highway robbery for 30 years, and now when the scales finally start balancing people want to act like these poor executives with million dollar homes and $300 haircuts have it so rough. Disgusting.
What is disgusting is the lack of any motivation to better oneself to make more money and greet a better job. What is disgusting is the obvious 'feeling' that you are owed something when you obviously have no skills. Go get them.

Good luck getting by on $13/hr anywhere. Let's not act like $13/hr is a super duper deal for anybody anywhere. Corporations have been conducting highway robbery for 30 years, and now when the scales finally start balancing people want to act like these poor executives with million dollar homes and $300 haircuts have it so rough. Disgusting.
My daughter is a full time student, pays her rent and most other expenses. You know what I did? Same damn thing. Get roommates, split the rent and bills.

Amazing that people will immigrate here to live under such oppressive conditions, but the ones born here will complain.

People aren't going to sacrifice their health for $8/hour.
They don't have to. I know our warehouse in my little town is paying $16/hr and that's unskilled. They also have signing bonuses paid at 90 days and 6mos totaling $1k. Those extras will be disappearing soon and many will be left without a chair when the music stops

Reactions: Wireless1

Who is acting like that?

The median necessary living wage in the US is right below $68k.
How much money you need to make to live comfortably in every state in America

$20/hr puts you right below $40k. Not an exaggeration to say $20/hr is barely enough to get by in 90%of the country.

Not everybody is entitled to live comfortably all the time. I haven't always lived comfortably. I was really poor and it lasted a handful of years. It's how you learn and how you get motivated to do better. It sucks that not everybody is comfortable, but that shouldn't be the primary goal of an economy. You shouldn't be comfortable as a low skill laborer. Comfort/discomfort is the reason industry comes from cold, hard uncomfortable places and the tropics historically produced little-to-nothing.

They don't have to. I know our warehouse in my little town is paying $16/hr and that's unskilled. They also have signing bonuses paid at 90 days and 6mos totaling $1k. Those extras will be disappearing soon and many will be left without a chair when the music stops
Curious about advancement. If unskilled worker comes in at $16 at your work and does an adequate job (nothing special), what does their advancement (if any) and pay look like after say 5 years?

Ok since it's so easy why don't you do a little experiment until the end of the year? Donate whatever of your monthly earnings you have that would exceed $40k/year to charity and live off what you have left. Then report back and tell us all how easy it was for you! Toodles!
Sounds like you suck at budgeting and would rather project that weakness toward the labor market instead of bettering yourself. Tough scene.

here is a freaking Kroger’s sign I took just now. These people spewing this false narrative are full of crap.
5C5CECF1-8CAF-4C46-AF5E-DA6ADCF71F1C.jpeg

Curious about advancement. If unskilled worker comes in at $16 at your work and does an adequate job (nothing special), what does their advancement (if any) and pay look like after say 5 years?
Not completely sure but annual raises are always there and if they learn to drive special equip (they started at $17 over 3yrs ago) that adds to their base rate. After 5yrs they better be at least a team lead which also comes with a bump. Maybe $23-25 by that time?

There's also the path to supervisor but in this campus it would likely take at least some time on nights. All about what you're willing to make it

Reactions: AM64 and McDad

VN Store

Back