Workers in Democrat-run North Carolina tourist city bemoan downtown decline: 'Really disturbing'

TNVOLNAVY

May God have mercy for my enemies because I won't.
Love Asheville, brew pubs everywhere and most are dog-friendly which makes it that much cooler.
I went to Asheville in November, stayed downtown wandered around at night and always felt safe.

stop-it-go-away.gif

You guys, quit destroying the narrative!

stop-it-go-away.gif

You guys, quit destroying the narrative!

Place has a major homelessness/drug addict population issue. I stopped there about a year and a half ago just driving thru, stopped for gas. It was Smoky Park Hwy. Dont recall the exit number. Had my son with me, he was probably 12. The gas station was a gas DQ combo. Not exaggerating, it looked like a homeless shelter. I’ve never seen that many homeless people at an establishment, in any place ever, other than a shelter.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Same damn thing in Roanoke, Virginia, which was never that much to begin with.

Early 2010s, a fairly well balanced council- still all or majority democrat, but there were only two real extremists. Growth is going well, the downtown is clean and beautiful for the first time in decades, outdoor investment is incredible- really just all around alright.

Fast forward about six years, an entire cadre of radicals is elected with one holdover from old times. These clowns put in place an absolute stooge for a city manager, and off to the races we go- skyrocketing taxes, growing crime, increased murder rates, rampant public drug use, and huge increases in unemployment as the council ran off the few remaining manufacturers/industrial concerns of any size in the name of "green".

It's sad. I used to live downtown and had a blast going out with my girlfriend (now wife). We hardly venture down there anymore after being at a bar one night and witnessing two wannabe gangsters pulling guns on each other.

I used to go about once a year for the breweries and bike riding. Haven't been in a while but we used to really enjoy it.

Well then, my brother and his family live there and don't seem to have any issues.
I’ve been there many times, including recently for a wedding. It’s always great. Of course I spent 6.5 years in Boone, so I’ve always liked that kinda scene. There’s mine.

I’ve been there many times, including recently for a wedding. It’s always great. Of course I spent 6.5 years in Boone, so I’ve always liked that kinda scene. There’s mine.
My other brother lives in Boone. I need to get back up there one day

Reactions: 85SugarVol

VN Store

Back