Workers in Democrat-run North Carolina tourist city bemoan downtown decline: 'Really disturbing'

Defunding the police is a pretty general statement that one person can define differently than the other. I support defunding the police if we're talking about slashing their budget for military vehicles and equipment or getting rid of the infinite overtime on the hunt for those deadly weed dealers.

DONT go down that route. Not at all what the Defund crowd has advocated.

On the other hand, in exchange for the money I would slash from the war on drugs/gotta look cool budget, I'd be willing to spend more in training (with a minimum standards increase) and raise the average salary for those that meet the new standards and manage to go a couple years without shooting a dog or accidentally turning their body cameras off.

And that's just a complete falsehood. That's like saying the ENTIRE GOP embraces Jewish space laser conspiracy theory. In fact, the leader of the Dem party, Biden, has expressly said the Dems do not favor defunding the police. To the contrary, for example, i favor increased funding to hire good people and increase training and equipment.

You’re certainly not above applying one caricature to an entire group of people. Wasn’t it you who used a single individual at a Tea Party event and a Trump rally to smear all the attendees?

Regardless, I will concede that the Democratic Party at large doesn’t embrace the defund movement. My point was people will have a hard time separating the two when a loud minority from the Democratic Party spent an entire election cycle shouting #Defund.

I’ve been there many times, including recently for a wedding. It’s always great. Of course I spent 6.5 years in Boone, so I’ve always liked that kinda scene. There’s mine.

Im trying to go to the Saloon tomorrow to watch Champions League. Being on King Street is one of my favorite places. Little something for everyone.

You’re certainly not above applying one caricature to an entire group of people. Wasn’t it you who used a single individual at a Tea Party event and a Trump rally to smear all the attendees?

Regardless, I will concede that the Democratic Party at large doesn’t embrace the defund movement. My point was people will have a hard time separating the two when a loud minority from the Democratic Party spent an entire election cycle shouting #Defund.

They were loud, yes, but tiny and powerless.

Reactions: flint

and the party has moved as they found out how unpopular the defund idea became once the crime growth started

I think it was during the campaign but Biden did make pro defunding comments - he may not have intended to but he did

Reactions: EasternVol
Place has a major homelessness/drug addict population issue. I stopped there about a year and a half ago just driving thru, stopped for gas. It was Smoky Park Hwy. Dont recall the exit number. Had my son with me, he was probably 12. The gas station was a gas DQ combo. Not exaggerating, it looked like a homeless shelter. I’ve never seen that many homeless people at an establishment, in any place ever, other than a shelter.
Growing up in the Tri-Cities we went Asheville pretty regularly, it was a nice mountain town. In the 90s started going for the couple of breweries located there and it was still a good place to visit. Around 2010 it started going down hill and it is still on the decline. We drive through now and never stop. It's just a much different town now and not for the better.

Growing up in the Tri-Cities we went Asheville pretty regularly, it was a nice mountain town. In the 90s started going for the couple of breweries located there and it was still a good place to visit. Around 2010 it started going down hill and it is still on the decline. We drive through now and never stop. It's just a much different town now and not for the better.

Truly is different. Spent many a long weekend there with the wife in years past. Still take my son to some youth sports events there. But it is not the Asheville of old.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
it has changed (likely as crime has risen and results of defunding have been seen) but in 2020 41% of Dems supported defunding as opposed to 38% saying keep funding the same and only 19% seeking more funding.

That has reduced to 25% last year. 41% is not an insignificant proportion of a political party.

Growing share of Americans say they want more spending on police in their area
Something happened in 2020 that might have have impacted Democratic support for what had been a very loud, very prominent defund movement.

Or maybe you're just clueless.

Simple litmus test......what % of dems do you believe support the "defund police" movement?
(don't look it up)
What % supported lockdowns and mandates? What % support them now?

I know you jumped off that ship a lot earlier than most.

Defunding the police is a pretty general statement that one person can define differently than the other. I support defunding the police if we're talking about slashing their budget for military vehicles and equipment or getting rid of the infinite overtime on the hunt for those deadly weed dealers.
Yea slashing their budget for military gear will really take a bite out of their funding.

it has changed (likely as crime has risen and results of defunding have been seen) but in 2020 41% of Dems supported defunding as opposed to 38% saying keep funding the same and only 19% seeking more funding.

That has reduced to 25% last year. 41% is not an insignificant proportion of a political party.

Growing share of Americans say they want more spending on police in their area
41% is certainly less than half, and that was in 2020 at the peak of public outcry. (and I knew none of that 41%)
And it is much less than that now. Obviously there are some dems that can see the problems with a particular position and quickly and rightfully change their stance. I wish more people could do that....especially on the other side.
I would say that the % of dems supporting "defund the police" is much less than the % of republicans who support a federal ban on abortion.

I think visitors would have as much of an opinion as a Fox News partisan piece....

Partisan? Did you even read the article?

Cuck

Asheville Police Department Chief David Zack told Fox News Digital last fall that his department is straining to operate at 42% down every day after losing more than 100 sworn officers since summer 2020, when tear gas-choked protests against police snarled downtown for days. Break-ins saw a 200% monthly surge in January, according to local ABC affiliate WLOS.

What % supported lockdowns and mandates? What % support them now?

I know you jumped off that ship a lot earlier than most.
That number was constantly changing as information and understanding increased (as should be the case).

VN Store

Back