Workers in Democrat-run North Carolina tourist city bemoan downtown decline: 'Really disturbing'

The assumption being made here is that its BECAUSE they have Dem leadership that Asheville has increased crime. This is a popular claim by GOPers, harkening back to the old meme that Republicnas are hard on crime, Dems soft on it, and that crime goes up most in Dem-controlled areas.

But is that claim true?

US elections 2020: Fact-checking Trump on crime in Democratic-run cities

No, it is not, particularly when we talk about violent crime.

Data from local police departments does show stark increases in Democratic-run Chicago and New York. But that's also a trend seen in some Republican-run metropolitan areas. Lexington in Kentucky, a city of over 300,000 people, has seen 84.6% increase in murders when compared with the same period in 2019, for example.

"Murder is up about 25% nationally including nearly identical change in Democratic and Republican-run cities," says US crime analyst Jeff Asher.
"I think the more salient point is that cities across the country, regardless of the mayor's party, are seeing an alarming increase in murder nationally this year," he adds.

There are other statistical analyses out there saying the same thing.

Now as to homelessness, that's a problem with many factors, as we have discussed before. It is a major issue, we all confront panhandling at the local WaWa, some areas worse than others. But for example where i am it seems particularly bad at a gas station located near an addiction center. I think the correlation is strong on that one, based on what I see. But I have yet to see anything that shows that the homeless are even aware of, much less deliberately choose, to go to a Dem-controlled City over and R one.

I’m just here for the anecdotal

The crime statistics suggest the residents who are complaining about more crime are correct.

My wife and I went to Asheville last year, a trip we made many times together when we used to live in NC. The town has most definitely changed for the worse compared to 10 years ago. It didn’t keep us from walking around at night, but it is not the same place it used to be.

The assumption being made here is that its BECAUSE they have Dem leadership that Asheville has increased crime. This is a popular claim by GOPers, harkening back to the old meme that Republicnas are hard on crime, Dems soft on it, and that crime goes up most in Dem-controlled areas.

But is that claim true?

US elections 2020: Fact-checking Trump on crime in Democratic-run cities

No, it is not, particularly when we talk about violent crime.

There are other statistical analyses out there saying the same thing.

Now as to homelessness, that's a problem with many factors, as we have discussed before. It is a major issue, we all confront panhandling at the local WaWa, some areas worse than others. But for example where i am it seems particularly bad at a gas station located near an addiction center. I think the correlation is strong on that one, based on what I see. But I have yet to see anything that shows that the homeless are even aware of, much less deliberately choose, to go to a Dem-controlled City over and R one.

I’m not going to claim it’s because of Democrat leadership, but they certainly don’t have a good track record.

When the party embraces the defund movement, they opened themselves up to these types of critiques.

I think he's been there since 97-98. He escaped and just never came back
I spent a lot of time working in bars and restaurants, and a lot of time sitting in others, at the same time as your brother. But I won’t pry.

I’m not going to claim it’s because of Democrat leadership, but they certainly don’t have a good track record.

When the party embraces the defund movement, they opened themselves up to these types of critiques.

It will take time to rise to the level of a true democratic run city.

Can you coin a different term besides leftist filth? It was funny once or twice back when I was still in my 30s.

I’m open to suggestions. I once used “Scum” and a moderator scrubbed it so that’s off the board.

Yep - if crime is up everywhere it's hard to argue the right response is to defund the police yet that clearly seems to be party specific

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

And that's just a complete falsehood. That's like saying the ENTIRE GOP embraces Jewish space laser conspiracy theory. In fact, the leader of the Dem party, Biden, has expressly said the Dems do not favor defunding the police. To the contrary, for example, i favor increased funding to hire good people and increase training and equipment.

And that's just a complete falsehood. That's like saying the ENTIRE GOP embraces Jewish space laser conspiracy theory. In fact, the leader of the Dem party, Biden, has expressly said the Dems do not favor defunding the police. To the contrary, for example, i favor increased funding to hire good people and increase training and equipment.

BS.

Your party is Defund and ran on it at the local level.
WTH does Biden and Feds have to do with local police other than lip service and playing both sides of his lying mouth.

You own the Defund Police

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
BS.

WTH does Biden and Feds have to do with local police other than lip service and playing both sides of his lying mouth.

You saying it over and over does not make it true.

giphy.gif

Reactions: flint
BS.

Not here. I know lots of hard-core dems., and don't know a single one who is "Defund Police". NOT A SINGLE ONE!!!

You are a lost ideological soul caught up in 100% WRONG. Now that should go down as some historical record.

Or a troll.
Or maybe you're just clueless.

Simple litmus test......what % of dems do you believe support the "defund police" movement?
(don't look it up)

Or maybe you're just clueless.

Simple litmus test......what % of dems do you believe supports the "defund police" movement?

it has changed (likely as crime has risen and results of defunding have been seen) but in 2020 41% of Dems supported defunding as opposed to 38% saying keep funding the same and only 19% seeking more funding.

That has reduced to 25% last year. 41% is not an insignificant proportion of a political party.

Growing share of Americans say they want more spending on police in their area

Defunding the police is a pretty general statement that one person can define differently than the other. I support defunding the police if we're talking about slashing their budget for military vehicles and equipment or getting rid of the infinite overtime on the hunt for those deadly weed dealers.

VN Store

Back