Worst coaching decision...Pruitt vs Jones

I love CJP for tell Penix to kick rocks... We may still have him as a coach otherwise. I'll take the bad with the good.

Which was worse...
Butch Jones starting Hurd over Kamara, or
Jeremy Pruitt telling Penix not to come to Tennessee because we are signing another QB (Shrout)?

This is never a popular thing to point out... but... starting Hurd over Kamara actually didn't have much of a negative effect.

We were undefeated in 2016 with Hurd as the starter, and didn't start losing until midway through the season when Hurd was on his way out and Kamara took over as the starter. Now of course, that has nothing to do with Kamara, we would have been undefeated in the first half of the season with Kamara starting as well.

Basically we would have been 9-4 regardless of which RB started the first half of the season. The starting RB was not that team's problem.

Reactions: txbo
Which was worse...
Butch Jones starting Hurd over Kamara, or
Jeremy Pruitt telling Penix not to come to Tennessee because we are signing another QB (Shrout)?
I hate to go here because overall Heupel is the best coach top to bottom we’ve had in years but…Heupel chose Milton over Hooker and never even have hooker a rep (no matter how bad Milton played) until he went down with injury. The moment hooker is gone, we are right back to Milton again. Heupel is an offensive guru that has a track record of developing quarterbacks second to non-college football. But I feel almost any other coach would’ve chosen Hooker over Milton. And at very least rotated them both until someone had firmly established themselves as the starter. The same could be said for this year. Why weren’t we rotating Nico in at least one series a half? Especially once we lost to Mizzou and there was essentially nothing left to play for. He still left Nico sitting and gave every single rep to Milton.

na jg would have still played
JG only played because we had no one better than him.. period its not like they didn't try. People always have this whole false narrative that we had some secret better QB on the roster than him. We did not....they played the other guys they were worse.

Reactions: Tman44
With QB being the most important position in football ——it’s easily Pruitt. That said, Penix decommited to us and committed to (checks notes: Indiana). It’s not like the best coaches in the country were beating his door down at the time. I was really excited when he committed to us so I’m obviously over qualified.

Anything involving Pruitt generally falls into the "worst of" camp when it comes to head coaching decisions.

Just reading the headline, Pruitt was the worst choice. However, Fulmer was in a bad situation where he didn't have much to choose from.

As for the actual question, Hurd/Kamara was a pretty tough choice at the time. Asking Penix not to come was by far a worse decision.

Butch got us wins vs Florida and Georgia and ranked 9th in the country that one year. Pruitt didn't come near doing that.

Reactions: Hairy Vols
Butch relentlessly running the read option with Justin Worley was on his greatest hits list.
Yea, and also taking a I formation tailback and running a one back set…if Butch had an ounce of coaching talent he would have continued to use our old offense until he recruited players to play his…but no, he just waved a wan and declared Worley a running QB…

Reactions: General Jack
Jones not recruiting Bell. Didn’t Pruitt tell Pennix that he didn’t fit his offense, want a pro style QB. He was pro style. Jones was afraid he’d lose Hurd but lost him anyway.

VN Store

Back