Worst coaching decision...Pruitt vs Jones

Which was worse...
Butch Jones starting Hurd over Kamara, or
Jeremy Pruitt telling Penix not to come to Tennessee because we are signing another QB (Shrout)?
Hurd was a phenomenal running back. Had he stayed, he would have broke virtually every RB record we had.

People give him **** for quitting mid-season while not knowing the story behind why he quit. Jones is a garbage human. Hurd made a difficult decision to protect himself because Jones clearly had no intention of doing so.

Jones not recruiting Bell. Didn’t Pruitt tell Pennix that he didn’t fit his offense, want a pro style QB. He was pro style. Jones was afraid he’d lose Hurd but lost him anyway.
Not really. From what I recall, Hurd asked to be moved to WR the off-season before and Jones either told him no or lied to him and said they would start working him into more designed plays where he lines up at WR. Either way, the relationship was not great leading into that season. Then the concussion happened which made the relationship significantly worse and Hurd was basically done with Butch.

Yea, and also taking a I formation tailback and running a one back set…if Butch had an ounce of coaching talent he would have continued to use our old offense until he recruited players to play his…but no, he just waved a wan and declared Worley a running QB…

A ham fisted attempt to ram a square peg through a round hole.

Reactions: Sarms58
Butch got us wins vs Florida and Georgia and ranked 9th in the country that one year. Pruitt didn't come near doing that.

And followed that up with losses to South Carolina, Vanderbilt and the locker room. He squandered out best roster since 2001.

I hate to go here because overall Heupel is the best coach top to bottom we’ve had in years but…Heupel chose Milton over Hooker and never even have hooker a rep (no matter how bad Milton played) until he went down with injury. The moment hooker is gone, we are right back to Milton again. Heupel is an offensive guru that has a track record of developing quarterbacks second to non-college football. But I feel almost any other coach would’ve chosen Hooker over Milton. And at very least rotated them both until someone had firmly established themselves as the starter. The same could be said for this year. Why weren’t we rotating Nico in at least one series a half? Especially once we lost to Mizzou and there was essentially nothing left to play for. He still left Nico sitting and gave every single rep to Milton.

Brother, I think you may not be remembering how the 2021 season started.

Yes, Milton started the season opener. In my memory though, Hooker player a good portion of the 4th. Believe Harrison Bailey and Gaston Moore even got into the game at some point

Milton got hurt in the second game-fairly early. Later first or early second maybe. Not a whole lot of time there to be juggling quarterbacks.

Gotta admit, I thought for sure when Hooker came in vs Pitt in 21 that we were sunk. Backup QB, thin roster, etc etc etc. 3 wins was looking us square in the face, but boom, a small miracle occurred.

Point being anyone who says they knew that HH was gonna light it up before he did so is probably lying

Reactions: Hairy Vols
I hate to go here because overall Heupel is the best coach top to bottom we’ve had in years but…Heupel chose Milton over Hooker and never even have hooker a rep (no matter how bad Milton played) until he went down with injury. The moment hooker is gone, we are right back to Milton again. Heupel is an offensive guru that has a track record of developing quarterbacks second to non-college football. But I feel almost any other coach would’ve chosen Hooker over Milton. And at very least rotated them both until someone had firmly established themselves as the starter. The same could be said for this year. Why weren’t we rotating Nico in at least one series a half? Especially once we lost to Mizzou and there was essentially nothing left to play for. He still left Nico sitting and gave every single rep to Milton.
“I hate to go here”

…. yet you go here on a post not discussing the topic whatsoever. I think all you want to do is go there. If we’re being honest.

I won’t even break down why you’re wrong because I know you’ve read it on here multiple times and just ignored it.

We had a good season, we still have Nico for four more years if he decides to stay, and the redshirt game him time to grow as a football player and a person adjusting to a life on the other side of the country.

Anyone with eyes can see why a coach would start Milton over Hooker. Milton is a freak of nature that gives you Cam Newton type season potential if he breaks out.

To imply we should have wasted the redshirt on what you called a “dead season” shows you will never get paid to coach any kind of sport.

Reactions: stolitonic
Butch Jones was a better coach than Jeremy Pruitt or Derek Dooley but none of them were winners and none of them can compete with our current staff.

We are in a great spot now.

Reactions: ttatj
its easily butch jones telling trevor lawrence hes not a qb, hurd/kamara could have been balanced out more but the difference in their styles makes that decision self explanatory. With Penix, I think its better that he didnt end up here at the time. he wouldnt havent developed in the same way he did at indiana, he wouldnt have played as quickly as he did and quite honestly, I think there is pretty much 0 chance he wouldnt have transferred out and maybe overwise had a nearly identical career to harrison bailey so far.

Just reading the headline, Pruitt was the worst choice. However, Fulmer was in a bad situation where he didn't have much to choose from.

As for the actual question, Hurd/Kamara was a pretty tough choice at the time. Asking Penix not to come was by far a worse decision.
Yeah, he had 3 to choose from- Pruitt, the dude that got fired from MI State for his obvious character deficiencies and a tendency to pleasure himself when talking to female staffers, and Kevin Steele. It's like having decide between which VD is most pleasurable.

That's not to defend the job Fulmer did as our AD. His vision for college football was to turn the clock back 25 years to the glory days of running the same stale offense we ran until it was well past its sell date.

That’s easy. The alleged Kamara misuse is overrated. Hurd was a very good RB and an every down RB. Kamara is more of an APB. Yes, he should’ve played more, but it’s not as egregious as some of our fans make out.

Cutting Penix was criminal.
Yeah, but the lack of people understanding how good of a running back John Kelly was is underrated. If you have Kelly and Kamara in the backfield and use Hurd as an H Back or or try to utilize him outside there’s a lot of talent on that field w/ Jennings and Malone. That’s a very good offensive football team.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Hurd was really good.
You don't know how kids will turn out.
Huep choosing Milton TWICE has to be up there.

Yeah, but the lack of people understanding how good of a running back John Kelly was is underrated. If you have Kelly and Kamara in the backfield and use Hurd as an H Back or or try to utilize him outside there’s a lot of talent on that field w/ Jennings and Malone. That’s a very good offensive football team.
Agree with this. Hurd would've made a GREAT H-Back/TE. Kelly and Kamara together for one game against aTm were amazing. I was under the impression that Hurd didn't want to change positions until he went to Baylor and changed positions. That whole situation seemed like one in which coaches and player just didn't communicate well.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I love rehashing our painful coaching history after winning our bowl with a coach that has stabilized the program. It’s a lot of fun….
Thank you, can we not leave these two knuckleheads buried in the past Why must we continue to drag them into this forum?

Agree with this. Hurd would've made a GREAT H-Back/TE. Kelly and Kamara together for one game against aTm were amazing. I was under the impression that Hurd didn't want to change positions until he went to Baylor and changed positions. That whole situation seemed like one in which coaches and player just didn't communicate well.
I agree. I think that the communication issues had w/ his players, or lack there of, were the reason for his downfall. He created trust issues that he wasn’t able to overcome .

When they made the decision that they were actually a ball coach!!!!!!!

Which was worse...
Butch Jones starting Hurd over Kamara, or
Jeremy Pruitt telling Penix not to come to Tennessee because we are signing another QB (Shrout)?
Well if we get Penix, we might not have seen two years of Hooker, and two years of Nikalus. The big blunder was when Kiffin told Boyd to kick rocks and he went to Clemson.

VN Store

Back