Worst coaching decision...Pruitt vs Jones

Cam Newton - Kiffin
Tahj Boyd - Kiffin
Trevor Lawrence - Butch
Tee Higgins - Butch
Amari Rodgers - Butch
Vonn Bell - Dooley
(All players we could have had...)

Dooley not recruiting a single OL one year.
Butch not playing Kamara.
Butch kicking Jennings off the team.

13 men on the field - Dooley
Hiring Sunseri and changing to a 3-4 defense in the most talented offensive year we had had in a long time - Dooley

Yeah....I could continue, but thats enough.

Cam Newton - Kiffin
Tahj Boyd - Kiffin
Trevor Lawrence - Butch
Tee Higgins - Butch
Amari Rodgers - Butch
Vonn Bell - Dooley
(All players we could have had...)

Dooley not recruiting a single OL one year.
Butch not playing Kamara.
Butch kicking Jennings off the team.

13 men on the field - Dooley
Hiring Sunseri and changing to a 3-4 defense in the most talented offensive year we had had in a long time - Dooley

Yeah....I could continue, but thats enough.
Butch didn't recruit Bell right, thought he was in the bag and didn't pursue him.

Not really. From what I recall, Hurd asked to be moved to WR the off-season before and Jones either told him no or lied to him and said they would start working him into more designed plays where he lines up at WR. Either way, the relationship was not great leading into that season. Then the concussion happened which made the relationship significantly worse and Hurd was basically done with Butch.
Not really what, Butch started Hurd in front of Kamara when Kamara fit his offense better and was electric. He obviously was afraid he would lose Hurd and did. Yes, he wanted to be moved to WR but that had nothing to do with what I wrote.

Butch blundering the Lawrence recruitment is the biggest offense, followed by Pruitt with Penix.
I read that when Lawrence saw the state of the program and how things were going at UT, he decided he didn't want to play at UT, might have been the no sweat Thursdays that Butch was running.

I read that when Lawrence saw the state of the program and how things were going at UT, he decided he didn't want to play at UT, might have been the no sweat Thursdays that Butch was running.
That’s what I’ve heard too, he still blundered it by not knowing how to run a program lol. He had grown up being a Vol and wanting to play here. Makes me so mad lol.

Then how was choosing Milton the 2nd time wrong?
I'll let you think on what I might have meant for awhile. Maybe things won't be so black and white for you or that I am so simple minded that I said Nico should've been day 1 starter because of "150 yards".

Not really what, Butch started Hurd in front of Kamara when Kamara fit his offense better and was electric. He obviously was afraid he would lose Hurd and did. Yes, he wanted to be moved to WR but that had nothing to do with what I wrote.

Hurd was one of the best backs in the country and was the returning starter. Of course he was going to start over Kamara. But it wasn't like Kamara didn't get his reps.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I'll let you think on what I might have meant for awhile. Maybe things won't be so black and white for you or that I am so simple minded that I said Nico should've been day 1 starter because of "150 yards".
Or you can just say what you mean. Crypticism doesn’t make your point any more valid.

You said Heupel choosing Milton twice was a mistake. The first time was in 2021. Okay. Hooker proved that was the wrong decision (although, since you’re promoting nuance, we should acknowledge that everyone who saw fall practice thought Joe vastly outperformed Hendon). The 2nd time was in 2023. If you’re saying BOTH were a mistake, you’re saying choosing Milton in 2023 was a mistake. The only other option was to start Nico.

Unless you think UT was going to get a better QB out of the portal last year, which a) we weren’t, not after Joe’s Orange Bowl performance, and b) none of us know if Heupel reached out to a portal QB or not.

So there’s more nuance to the situation than a simple black and white statement that Heupel “chose” Milton twice and that was a mistake.

“I hate to go here”

…. yet you go here on a post not discussing the topic whatsoever. I think all you want to do is go there. If we’re being honest.

I won’t even break down why you’re wrong because I know you’ve read it on here multiple times and just ignored it.

We had a good season, we still have Nico for four more years if he decides to stay, and the redshirt game him time to grow as a football player and a person adjusting to a life on the other side of the country.

Anyone with eyes can see why a coach would start Milton over Hooker. Milton is a freak of nature that gives you Cam Newton type season potential if he breaks out.

To imply we should have wasted the redshirt on what you called a “dead season” shows you will never get paid to coach any kind of sport.
You’ve got to be kidding. I know you finished that sentence with “if he decides to stay” but there’s no way in hell somebody with the physical traits he has (playing in Josh Heupel’s) system going to be playing as a redshirt senior? Every quarterback (with the exception of Milton) that has played in Josh Heupel’s system for multiple years going back 15 years has put up monster/Heisman esque numbers.

I bet the house Nico throws up monster stats over the next 2 seasons and goes pro afterwards. So we essentially gave up 1/3 of the years we had Nico to have him sit on the bench and watch Milton air-mail pass after pass.

As for your first point… Yes, I went there because this thread is about coaching decisions involving quarterbacks. Heupel has not consistently put the best quarterback on the roster out on the field. In three seasons, he’s done it once.

Or you can just say what you mean. Crypticism doesn’t make your point any more valid.

You said Heupel choosing Milton twice was a mistake. The first time was in 2021. Okay. Hooker proved that was the wrong decision (although, since you’re promoting nuance, we should acknowledge that everyone who saw fall practice thought Joe vastly outperformed Hendon). The 2nd time was in 2023. If you’re saying BOTH were a mistake, you’re saying choosing Milton in 2023 was a mistake. The only other option was to start Nico.

Unless you think UT was going to get a better QB out of the portal last year, which a) we weren’t, not after Joe’s Orange Bowl performance, and b) none of us know if Heupel reached out to a portal QB or not.

So there’s more nuance to the situation than a simple black and white statement that Heupel “chose” Milton twice and that was a mistake.
Yes, there is more nuance. Including there are several other options instead of saying Nico should have started from day ONE because of "150 yards"

Butch 1000%

1) Nobody though Penix was all that good out of HS. He ended up at freakin Indiana...

2) He would have sat here and transferred anyway, so it's moot.

But both coaches sucked. Actually, Pruitt was much worse. What a failure.

Butch 1000%

1) Nobody though Penix was all that good out of HS. He ended up at freakin Indiana...

2) He would have sat here and transferred anyway, so it's moot.

But both coaches sucked. Actually, Pruitt was much worse. What a failure.
Regarding #2, he definitely could have competed with JG while here 🤦🏻

VN Store

Back