Wyoming Punter announcing transfer to Tennessee

The "net punting" number is the main thing. If the guy kicks 60 yard bullets, they'll set up lengthy returns. I'd rather have a punter that could kick it 40 yards with some hangtime and direction and "net" around 40 yards.

And on kickoffs, just kick it out of the endzone against most teams. Work on the kickoff coverage against APSU, South Alabama, etc. But against UF, Bama, Oregon, out of the endzone.

How many 50+ yard punts does Palardy need before you guys at least accept him as a pretty decent punter?
He's decent but length of the punt is only one of many factors in making an SEC quality punter.

Palardy's ability to find a sideline inside the 10-15 is almost nonexistent. :wassup:

By Hook or Crook, we need to definately improve our kicking game....so welcome to the Vols

You don't have to take my word for it. Look a the national punting services/camps and see where he's rated. He's a little green. Needs to work on his steps but has one of the strongest legs I've seen. High school punters that play a position don't get a lot of practice time to punt. He will get plenty of time to get his steps right In college and his leg will take care of the rest. All I can say is remember the name Trevor Daniel. When you see him punt remember my post.
This thread treats punting as if one punter is enough. Several times in Vol history we have had two or more situational punters. I would be surprised if that isn't the case in 2014.

If you watch the film, Gleeson is dropping ball after ball inside the 15/10/5 standing on the 50. He can roll right and rugby style kick for extended downfield sprinting time without giving up distance. He has already accomplished the two-step punt technique from behind-the-center.

Each punter has their own spin and trajectory, you could switch them like relief pitching.

Both have NFL legs. One may opt to go early, the other to remain behind taking on full duties which might accelerate his NFL stock. Gleeson has shown some proclivity at FG and kickoffs.

This is great. Just like the old days. :dance2: Geo. Cafego is smiling from his ethereal arm chair. :clapping:

Reactions: 1 person
Some cool stats (sorry if already posted)

- 34% of his punts inside the 20
- forced 14 fair catches
- had 13 punts over 50 yards
- never had a punt blocked his freshman season

Pretty decent. Welcome to Tennessee young man :rock:

ESPN NET Punting average rankings...

Tim Gleeson, P
WYO

Michael Palardy, K
TENN

Bottom line..he is a little better but not much, but you also have to factor in that he was a freshman and punted for over a thousand more yards than Palardy. Gleeson isn't eligible until 2014 at which time, Palardy will be gone.

With this kid and the Preferred Walk-On kid I think it's time for Darr to be asked to transfer.

Was Darr also a transfer or did he just switch his commitment to us from someone else? I'm thinking USC or UCLA.

ESPN NET Punting average rankings...

Tim Gleeson, P
WYO

Michael Palardy, K
TENN

Bottom line..he is a little better but not much, but you also have to factor in that he was a freshman and punted for over a thousand more yards than Palardy. Gleeson isn't eligible until 2014 at which time, Palardy will be gone.

Gleeson's average was good for 5th in the MWC. Everyone that kicks at 7000 ft will have a good average. Not knocking the kid I hope he does great here but I have a feeling 3 years from now everyone will be *****ing about how great he was supposed to be.

I will repeat this information since my initial reaction to this news was, like yours, one of caution. Given the conference he played in, the Mountain West Conference, Gleeson almost certainly played one of the highest per-game altitude schedules in the country. Here are the elevations (roughly) of the stadiums he played in last year. Some figures are cited specifically for the stadium, while others represent "university" elevations.

University of Wyoming (War Memorial Stadium: 7,220ft.)

University of Texas (Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium: ca. 500 ft.)

University of Idaho (William H. Kibbie-ASUI Activity Center, more commonly known as the Kibbie Dome: 2,610 ft.)

University of Nevada (Mackay Stadium: 4,564 ft.)

Fresno State University (Bulldog Stadium: 338 ft.)

University of New Mexico (University Stadium: 5,174 ft.)

UNLV (Sam Boyd Stadium: 1,600 ft.)

If you check his per-game stats (see p. 7 of http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/stats/season_stats.pdf), as a reflection of team per-game punting stats (taking into account that he was responsible for all but one punt), he had two subpar games, one against Texas on the road (37.6 ave.) and the last game of the season at home vs. San Diego State (35.2 ave.). According to this webpage (San Diego State 42, Wyoming 28 - San Diego State University Official Athletic Site), the wind was blowing from the west at 28 mph during the latter game, which detrimentally affected both punters.

What does all of this data mean? Hopefully nothing significant but it does have to be taken into consideration in projecting how well his performance will translate at Knoxville's altitude and humidity.

Texas and Fresno State most closely approximate conditions in Neyland and two interesting stats emerge from those games. First of all, if you combine the stats for those two games, you come out with almost exactly a 40-yd. average (15 for 598 yds.), which, on the surface, does not sound like too much of a drop off coming down from 7,200 ft. Against Texas, however, he shanked his first two punts, 19- and 20-yd. efforts, respectively, and then proceeded to nail his other three punts for 149 yds (49.67 ave), which included two punts over 50 yds., one of which was good for 54 yards. And those punts were launched in Knoxville-like climatic conditions in what was his first collegiate performance ever and in a hostile environment to boot. Considering how many times we have watched Palardy and Darr unravel following a bad kick or two, that level of composure for a first-game freshman is most impressive.

Finally, it is not unrealistic to expect his overall leg strength to increase somewhat over the course of his career.

Last edited:
He's decent but length of the punt is only one of many factors in making an SEC quality punter.

Palardy's ability to find a sideline inside the 10-15 is almost nonexistent. :wassup:

given our offense's tendency of 3-and-outs within our own 50, that limited Palardy's chances. Offense was either a strike out or a homerun each time it saw the field. Was he that great at accuracy to begin with? Not incredibly, but his incredible length given experience at the position is quite above average

And what makes an "SEC quality" punter? I believe the sam traits of a punter are desirable between all conferences and levels of play lol

welcome to big orange country my new friend....and I bet you Palardy and Darr will be much better this season, just because Dooley is gone

there is one thing you guys are forgetting. yes, his avg punt yards were not that incredible. but!!!!!! he will give our coverage team more time to get down the field. therefore, there should be less return yards and more punts downed inside the 20.

VN Store

Back