Yahoo (Rivals) article "Will UT's recruiting last?"

pualsline

poakley@safeoak.com
14 Seems a little bit low, but I am very happy with this class so far.

"This has been just an amazing job by Butch Jones and his staff to sell Tennessee as a viable SEC-contender. The hope for Vol fans would be that they close out strong and finish inside the Top 10. With a 3.4 average ranking I think that it is possible, too."

Extrapolating the data points for this class, Tennessee has nowhere to go but down as the season moves on. If no team from outside of the current configuration of the Top 25 makes a major move, the Vols should be able to finish in the No. 10 spot. The numbers say that if the program does not add any more valuable commits and closes with just the 2,095 points that is currently has that would figure for a No. 14 finish. The math also indicates that at least eight teams from outside the Top 25 will make a run as the recruiting period closes. Therefore, it would not be a shock to see Tennessee at No. 14, even if it adds another four-star or two.

Link

we already have 2140 points but with that said rivals can kiss my azz along as butch gets it we will rise to the top

I believe we need a ratio of somewhere between 2-3 [4&5 stars]:1 [3 stars] to finish where we need to be. If we can get this ratio with our class of 30 signees, we will be way up there. What say the experts?

Last edited:
"Extrapolating the data points for this class, Tennessee has nowhere to go but down as the season moves on."

So you can't do any better than #1? Who knew

/facepalm

Reactions: 32 people
14 Seems a little bit low, but I am very happy with this class so far.

Link

I love the line 'extrapolating the data points for this class, Tennessee has nowhere to go but down'. Of course, UT also has nowhere to go but down b/c they're #1, but his way sounds cooler.

As the # of spots in the class tighten it's likely the quality of the recruits will go up. Doesn't Rivals take the top 20 or something like that. I suspect a good # of UT's next 10 commitments will increase their score. Probably won't finish #1 but I'd be shocked at #14. To assume they add no more points would be to assume that all 10 are equal to or worse than their 20th best player. Seems unlikely.

Bring on the DL!!!

all of the outsiders looking in dont want all this momentum/positive energy UT has to last. they know what happens when we start rolling and its just a matter of time til Butch gets us back in the mix at the top.

Reactions: 3 people
This is not mere speculation by the writer- it's based on lots of data from previous years regarding points and final class rankings.

I'm not saying we can't finish top 5, but it's silly to disagree with the analysis since it is based solely on available, factual data and not on fanatical whimsy.

Reactions: 3 people
This is not mere speculation by the writer- it's based on lots of data from previous years regarding points and final class rankings.

I'm not saying we can't finish top 5, but it's silly to disagree with the analysis since it is based solely on available, factual data and not on fanatical whimsy.

doubt we finish 14.maybe top 10 in the 5-10 range. thats good for any program and esp one who has been at an all time low like UT. we will continue to build a great class. let em question it and hate on it. that means people are thinking about us again.

doubt we finish 14.maybe top 10 in the 5-10 range. thats good for any program and esp one who has been at an all time low like UT. we will continue to build a great class. let em question it and hate on it. that means people are thinking about us again.

I guess I just don't see any of the "hating." To the contrary, what I've seen has been an overwhelmingly positive take on the job done so far.

Beat me to it.

#1. It should have never gotten past the editor

#2. Just in case you were wondering, I enjoy making unnecessary lists

#3. It is really funny because the guy is trying to sound smart and making his deductions mathematically, but starts off with that nonsense.

Hurd will be a 5*. Paulk has a good chance of also getting the bump to 4*. Wouldn't be surprised for Helm to end up in their Top 250, and maybe as a 6.0.

If we finish the class as expected and land a NSD surprise (Adoree Jackson), we have a real shot at top 5, maybe even #1.

This is why I will wait until signing day to say whether or not Butch Jones and his staff did a quality job with this class or not. If we finish below all our main rivals in the SEC again, it would be hard to argue that this class was anything special.

However, at this stage, they've done everything you could ask them to do with this class. Plenty of the players we're getting commitments from are sought by other top schools who would be happy to take their commitments now. That's nothing but a good thing, no matter how Yahoo and others will try to spin it.

Reactions: 1 person
6-8 range is where I see the class finishing. That would be a great accomplishment for Butch regardless of how this season goes. It's also important to note how well he has done in the past with lower rated recruits; so far this class is a great mix of top rated recruits and players that fit what Butch is looking to build.

VN Store

Back