Your daily Republican grievance: Black mermaids, etc al.

If Republicans were fish, they'd be extinct by now, because they bite every piece of "woke" bait put in front of them.

Wtf....people really think their 5 year old wearing a shirt with a rainbow on it is going to make them gay.

LBGT invasion starts small, then grows bigger. While I don't really mind REAL Republicans, but I detest Republiars. And yet, some things I just can't disagree with them about, on account of what the Bible clearly says about certain things. I don't mess with God. This is one more area I see bringing the nation to ruin.
Judge temporarily strikes down Tennessee law restricting drag performances

Wtf....people really think their 5 year old wearing a shirt with a rainbow on it is going to make them gay.

Lol. You probably think that’s how all Conservatives think. Just like EL putting up her little twitter video. I mean is that any more preposterous than, like most liberals believe, that men can get pregnant or have period cramps?

There is dumb in both sides.

I don't take issue with black mermaids or even black actors playing roles which were supposed to be white people (such as Denzel Washington playing Macbeth, who was supposed to be Scottish in the play). There's creative license in fiction. But when you're doing a documentary--which is supposed to be a true account of the subject matter--and you use a black actress to portray someone who is Macedonian, that's just a lie and you're perpetuating a falsehood that's been debunked numerous times.

I'm sure Fox will be all over this.

I don't take issue with black mermaids or even black actors playing roles which were supposed to be white people (such as Denzel Washington playing Macbeth, who was supposed to be Scottish in the play). There's creative license in fiction. But when you're doing a documentary--which is supposed to be a true account of the subject matter--and you use a black actress to portray someone who is Macedonian, that's just a lie and you're perpetuating a falsehood that's been debunked numerous times.

I would extend that to cultural lore and historical films/shows as well.

There are stories about mermaids, well versions of them, in Africa. I would like to see those put to film. Africa/Asia/Native Americans/etc have lore and it should be equally celebrated.

I find it silly that the same crowd that complains about western "colonialism" is simultaneously too chicken **** to introduce nonwestern lore in films.

It hilarious that we’ve found where you draw the line here, so you’re admitting this is an issue. Then still blaming Fox News for covering actual stories

It hilarious that we’ve found where you draw the line here, so you’re admitting this is an issue. Then still blaming Fox News for covering actual stories
I want to hear the argument that the Lost Boys actually being “boys” isn’t central to the story.

Reactions: Vol8188
I wouldn't say I think it's an "issue." I think to the extent documentaries purport to "document" the truth, I think it makes it a worse documentary to advance a known falsehood as the truth. Fiction is not like that though. No one thinks the little mermaid is true and adaptations of fiction have been done for years without issue (west side story based on Romeo and Juliet). So who cares what her color is unless you're purporting to do a portrayal that's fully consistent with the Hans Christian Andersen story.

And for the record, I do think there's a lot of BS in the 1619 project. There are some huge errors there masquerading as truth.

I wouldn't say I think it's an "issue." I think to the extent documentaries purport to "document" the truth, I think it makes it a worse documentary to advance a known falsehood as the truth. Fiction is not like that though. No one thinks the little mermaid is true and adaptations of fiction have been done for years without issue (west side story based on Romeo and Juliet). So who cares what her color is unless you're purporting to do a portrayal that's fully consistent with the Hans Christian Andersen story.

And for the record, I do think there's a lot of BS in the 1619 project. There are some huge errors there masquerading as truth.

If you see a false documentary as a problem, why do you still mock Fox News for covering it

Social Justice warriors are fired up over a native Hawaiian, born and raised in Hawaii, playing a Hawaiian character in the live action Lilo & Stitch…

“You can’t have a black Ariel, because she doesn’t look like the animated character!”
- clearly racist!

“You can’t have a lighter Hawaiian, because she doesn’t look like the animated character!”
- clearly correct?

E86AF70C-96FD-4E54-BC29-AB0443D5C447.jpeg
@evillawyer what do you make of this?

'Lilo and Stitch' live-action remake accused of whitewashing Nani Pelekai

Lilo and Stitch Fans Call Actress Playing Nani Too Light and Accuse Disney of "White Washing"

Social Justice warriors are fired up over a native Hawaiian, born and raised in Hawaii, playing a Hawaiian character in the live action Lilo & Stitch…

“You can’t have a black Ariel, because she doesn’t look like the animated character!”
- clearly racist!

“You can’t have a lighter Hawaiian, because she doesn’t look like the animated character!”
- clearly correct?

View attachment 551374
@evillawyer what do you make of this?

'Lilo and Stitch' live-action remake accused of whitewashing Nani Pelekai

Lilo and Stitch Fans Call Actress Playing Nani Too Light and Accuse Disney of "White Washing"
Once the racial casting genie was out of the bottle, there isn’t any putting it back. No one will ever be satisfied now

Some people refuse to accept Northern Africa is more middle eastern than like the sub Saharan people that sold their own people.
Recent genomic sequencing of ancient Egyptian DNA shows they shared ~70% of their code with another ancient peoples from modern day Israel & Jordan.

The Berbers of the North African coast are different (and much more complex). Similar analyses show ~50% of their code comes from Southern Europe and ~25% from the Near East. They also have significant traces of Neanderthal DNA.

Ancient peoples moved around. A lot.
Ancient peoples got it on with others. A lot.

We interbred with different groups of Sapiens.
We interbred with different groups of Hominins.

Caucasian peoples have significant amounts of Neanderthal DNA.
Asiatic peoples have significant amounts of Denisovan DNA.

In many ways you could argue that the closest thing we see to “pure bloods” are the Sub-Saharan African peoples.
Very little admixture present in their DNA. Neither from other regional Sapien groups, or other Hominin groups.

VN Store

Back