Your Memphis Grizzlies Basketball Thread III

I will say, I do feel much differently about Edey after the combine. His numbers suggest he's not nearly as stiff as you'd think. Purdue needed him to score 25 ppg and play 34 mpg. They asked him not to be aggressive on D so he'd stay out of foul trouble. If his job is to play 22 mpg and hustle, he's not the guy we watched in college. I'm just not sure he can even give you 16 mpg.

Definitely not a fan of Edey in CBB, but he will slot in pretty well between Ja & JJJ. JJJ & Edey will cover a lot of the other's weaknesses, and Edey will feast on offensive glass and with P&R. Curious how his D will hold up. Not fast, but good endurance.

I would've preferred Clingan, but I'm curious to see how Edey does. I wish I could've said that on someone else's team, but alas, here we are.

I will say, I do feel much differently about Edey after the combine. His numbers suggest he's not nearly as stiff as you'd think. Purdue needed him to score 25 ppg and play 34 mpg. They asked him not to be aggressive on D so he'd stay out of foul trouble. If his job is to play 22 mpg and hustle, he's not the guy we watched in college. I'm just not sure he can even give you 16 mpg.

I remember when they wanted pace and space. I guess they are abandoning that philosophy with one pick. But we can pick and roll Ja!

#4 in lane agility & tied for #5 in shuttle drill. Near the bottom in 3/4 sprint & vertical. 2nd to last in sprint & 3rd to last in both verticals.

Clingan was dead last in shuttle run, lane agility, & 3/4 court sprint. Also 2nd to last (worse than Edey) in verticals.

#4 in lane agility & tied for #5 in shuttle drill. Near the bottom in 3/4 sprint & vertical. 2nd to last in sprint & 3rd to last in both verticals.

Clingan was dead last in shuttle run, lane agility, & 3/4 court sprint. Also 2nd to last (worse than Edey) in verticals.

Yeah, but if Clingan spent the last couple months trying to be better at basketball and Edey spent the last couple months training for drills, then the numbers don't really tell the truth. You gotta take them with a grain of salt.

Since he will never play starter minutes, your identity can still mostly be pace and space.

Top 9 pick and a position of need. Me thinks he’s expected to play more than 16 minutes a game. And I guess they play a different style for whatever he’s on the floor? 2 styles sounds like you have no style. But I’m no coach.

& he played 40 minutes a game in college with great conditioning?

College isn't nearly as spread out or intense on big bodies as the NBA. He played like a statue in college, so 34 mpg is possible there. He's going to have to be a wild man in the pros or he's going to be exposed.

We'll see. I'm just going to be optimistic about it and see how it shakes out. Think it could be a really good recipe for us

Only 14 centers played more than 20mpg in 2024, 12 in '23, 9 in '22, 15 in '12.

Reactions: n_huffhines
The closest comps for Edey are the following guys:

Kessler - 23 mpg
Valunciunas - 24 mpg
Zubac - 26 mpg
Nurkic - 27 mpg

The 10 centers getting 30+ mpg are pretty different than Edey (shooters and/or playmakers, or much smaller). Gobert is maybe the closest thing and he has an incredible motor and is 40 lbs lighter.

Russillo today: "I had a team tell me that 'Memphis is just going to look at a spreadsheet and take Edey.' [chuckling] and I was like, 'come on, man.'"

Reactions: VolNExile
I can’t believe we had the dream team in our hands and drafted edey

Ja-Bane-Knecht-GG-Jaren

The Grizz get credit for trying to spin this as best they can in the local media today.....

Hasseltine might have been on every local radio show the past 24 hrs

I can’t believe we had the dream team in our hands and drafted edey

Ja-Bane-Knecht-GG-Jaren
Grizz needed a BIG and with ClingCong tabbed to Portland Zachzilla was the best choice to fill the position needed. Now JJJ can move back to the 4. I'd loved to have seen Dalton selected by the Grizz.

VN Store

Back