Y’all have to help me understand the problem with this hire....

“No coordinators like Pruitt or Elliot!! Head Coach experience is a must!” ✅

“Not just any HC experience, we don’t need Dykes, he better be a winner!” ✅

“We don’t need any NCAA baggage!” ✅

“Football has evolved, no defensive minds, we need an offensive guru!” ✅✅✅✅

Why don’t we like this hire again?? Is it because he’s not P5? AAC is as close as you can get without actually being P5, I would say they are a stronger conference than PAC-12 and maybe even Big 12 at this moment, and we just took one of their best coaches.

Because for all the talk of "VolTwitter is undefeated" we have one of the worst (the worst?) fan base in America who'd rather see the program tank for four years so they can pout online than admit they don't know jack $hit, wait and see and give the guy a chance.

No, Heupel is not a guarantee and has some risks, but so is anyone else not named Saban or Meyer. I'd have rather had Matt Campbell or James Franklin too, but those guys weren't coming. White tried, they declined, and it was done quietly and didn't wreck the coaching search.

Instead, White who's done well in every other hire, who wants to do well in this hire, brought in a guy that he knows very well and has staked his reputation to him. That alone should give Heupel the benefit of the doubt.

Why don’t we like this hire again?? Is it because he’s not P5? AAC is as close as you can get without actually being P5, I would say they are a stronger conference than PAC-12 and maybe even Big 12 at this moment, and we just took one of their best coaches.

Nothing short of a Nick Saban or perhaps Mack Brown stepping down to take the UT job would please a particular faction of the fan base. That’s just how it is.

Established coaches like Malzahn have enough FU money to wait it out and see how the new leadership operates.

That said, Danny White left Buffalo and UCF in a much better position than when he arrived. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest he can’t do the same at UT.

What? No UCF player won the Heisman, you seem to be conflating his time as a Chip Kelly assistant with his run at UCF. He had one very good year at UCF and one full recruiting class there.

Heupel became the quarterbacks coach for Oklahoma in 2006. In that capacity he coached Sooner quarterback Sam Bradford, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2008

It appeared you were talking about Frost in the post I quoted.

I think it was late at night (or early am) and I drank too much and I'm overwhelmingly invested (emotionally not financially, NCAA) in this hiring process. I don't understand why either. Why should I care? I didn't go to school at UT. No one in my family has. I just grew up in Maryville (6th generations of Blount County hillbillies). Maybe I should start following the Scots or high school ball like others do here.

This hire doesn't excite me. I look at Frost and Nebraska and think that is where we will be in 3 years.

He's not a proven winner. He inherited Scott Frost's undefeated, self-proclaimed "National Championship" team. He was handed a gold mine when he took over in 2018, and progressively got worse each year.

If you're going to point to his first 2 years at UCF as proof that he's good, you don't get to say a word when people point to his first 2 years at TN as proof that he's bad. If you're going to give him credit for those wins in 2018, you have to give him credit for the losses in 2021. I don't want to hear the "It's his first year! Give him a break!" excuse.

The first year is either relevant or irrelevant. Can't be both. Pick one.

Reactions: PickleRickBarnes
Exactly. I’d be happy with a coach that did less with more or built something. Not one with a near losing record or one that started with a 13-0 team and got worse. I’d be even happier if they would get over this Moral Compass U bull crap.

He's not a proven winner. He inherited Scott Frost's undefeated, self-proclaimed "National Championship" team. He was handed a gold mine when he took over in 2018, and progressively got worse each year.

If you're going to point to his first 2 years at UCF as proof that he's good, you don't get to say a word when people point to his first 2 years at TN as proof that he's bad. If you're going to give him credit for those wins in 2018, you have to give him credit for the losses in 2021. I don't want to hear the "It's his first year! Give him a break!" excuse.

The reason I hate the “hire” if it’s actually a hire is basically it’s wash, rinse, repeat. It’s no different than Dooley, Jones or Pruitt. Same Shizz different day. Meaning, there will be another HC search in 3-4 years this guys is underwhelming at best. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it

UCF fans will be thrilled if we hire Heupel away. That should tell you something.

Because he was fired by OU as an OC and UCF has regressed under him. Dykes would have been a better hire.

This hire doesn't excite me. I look at Frost and Nebraska and think that is where we will be in 3 years.

Aging like

intro-1595349256.jpg

This aged ***** beautifully.

Fail

The reason I hate the “hire” if it’s actually a hire is basically it’s wash, rinse, repeat. It’s no different than Dooley, Jones or Pruitt. Same Shizz different day. Meaning, there will be another HC search in 3-4 years this guys is underwhelming at best. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it
His winning totals shrinks every year and only 1-2 against ranked teams with his only win coming in his first year. Seems like he's riding the success that Scout Frost was building before he left.

Plus, he's fat and says "aight" too much like someone else we know.
The main problem “if” Heupel gets hired..........is Chadwell & Elliot.

Chadwell has proven he can build programs. He is offensive minded. He is from Tennessee. He just seems to be a much better choice.

And Elliot certainly has more upside......a gamble yea......but won’t Heupel be one too?

“If” Heupel is the guy.......and we find White didn’t even talk with Chadwell........wow.......that would be a dagger to Tennessee fans.

however......we don’t really know, and I’ll remain hopeful for another maybe 12 hours or so.
Buddy, he took over a stacked program that went undefeated. 3 years later they were 5-3 in the damn AAC. UCF fans and beat writers don't think he has the program going in the right direction.

But hey, you want to sheep it up, do your thang. Hope isn't a bad thing, but I'm not joining you.

Ouch

I don’t hate the hire, I think people overestimate the amount and the quality of coaches who would want this job right now. I just generally don’t want guys who took over a great program and sustained that success, like JH or Butch Jones. I want guys who took a program that was performing poorly and elevated it, like Napier or Chadwell.
Napier 😂😂😂 that's what he said... chomp chomp...

Didn’t you hear? Even though White hasn’t really hired anyone, the interwebz has said Josh Heupel is a candidate. So that means he is hired. White is a terrible AD. He is a terrible head coach and VN is melting down.

This was by far the best post of the thread. Danny White a terrible AD who never hired anyone lol.

How you feel know. Much respect those who made emotional comments that are willing to come back and show some humbleness

Personally I gots no problems revisiting these.

I along with many folks “wanted” Freeze. Because of everything with Pruitt we knew that wasn’t going to happen……although folks hoped.

After things settled “I” wanted Elliott. Didn’t look like a “big” name was coming so I was down for a big name OC with good credentials. Others wanted all kinds of coaches take your pick.

I have no shame in anything I have stated about Heupel or the hire. As I stated back then and along the ride he (even at that time) was better than most of the names being floated around.

Some folks liked the hire some didn’t. Me and some others merely hoped all avenues were being pursued (because of 12 years of bad hires).

I and other folks took time to dive into stats and such to defend Heupel and his coaching record (if folks want to go look)…….at that time. Heck I had multiple threads showing (with facts) why his declining winning % wasn’t what some were making it out to be.

However I think most of us are throughly pleased Heupel is the coach…….some may never be because they can’t get over whatever.

We were all sceptical. Glad we were all wrong.

If folks weren’t at least “somewhat” skeptical just of the entire situation back then……….they were probably the ones still pumping sunshine even the day after Pruitt was fired.

Nothing short of a Nick Saban or perhaps Mack Brown stepping down to take the UT job would please a particular faction of the fan base. That’s just how it is.

Established coaches like Malzahn have enough FU money to wait it out and see how the new leadership operates.

That said, Danny White left Buffalo and UCF in a much better position than when he arrived. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest he can’t do the same at UT.
Even for a Florida guy, I agree. This is hard for me to say considering.

Reactions: Samthebam

VN Store

Back