Other SEC coaches fearing the rise of our proud program

IMO football coaches are ego maniacs and wouldn't change their personalities due to anyone [except maybe their wives who can take 1/2 of all they have]

to be successful in such a competitive environment you have to be an egomaniac.......

Originally I just wanted to post my own hunch/theory and see if anyone else had similar thought as they watched SEC media blitz this week. Unintentionally, the post got a bunch of crimson panties in a wad. While that was completely unintentional, I am enjoying the show.

Reactions: 1 person
Nobody is fearing the UT football team. No school in the SEC or nation will ever again fear UT until they begin beating good football teams. Wins against Kentucky and Vanderbilt do not count.

Nothing wrong with respect. Respect your opponent, I always say. This fear stuff, just not going to happen in the mighty SEC.

Dang .... Blood you beat me to it!!!! I was contemplating sharing that riddle with our newfound Bammer friends but was afraid of retribution from the moderator. Kudos to ya !!!!!:thumbsup:

Yeah, somebody said it here before; don't know who originated it. :)
Fine truck, by the way.

You guys are just feeding these trolls..

It's worse than going to a highschool reunion in your 30s and constantly bringing up the one hot girl you dated for 6 weeks in your freshman year. Our program has been dismal for 10 years now. We've gotten to the point where Vandy and Kentucky have to be taken seriously. There's been a total staff change 3 times in 6 years. Until we are even competitive with our neighboring rivals more than a couple times a decade, maybe it's time to face reality that we stink until further notice. Butch is a solid recruiter. On the field he has shown nothing yet that proves he can compete with any current top 20 program consistently. I wish our fanbase would stop yapping from the porch at anybody that walks by and our players let their production do the talking. If we have a team capable of going toe to toe with anybody of consequence consistently(for the record I think we will soon) , then there will be no s**t talking necessary. Hell , we might just catch of few of these teams napping on us if we'd stop demanding their attention at every opportunity. We aren't "getting in anybody's heads" .

Reactions: 2 people
Over the last 7 years Alabama has played the 9th toughest schedule in the FBS. And we've had to do it without any assistance from you guys.

Bout time y'all tighten up.
otl_g_fulmer01_600.jpg

Phil was saying the same thing about you all from 1995-2001....:dunno:

Yeah, somebody said it here before; don't know who originated it. :)
Fine truck, by the way.

Thanks..It took me a few years to complete. The Tangier orange color was the closest I could get to the Tennessee Orange jerseys. It really looked bright the day I took this pic. It was my fourth and last resto. :thumbsup:

I think SEC coaches probably realize that Butch is going to make UT a formidable team again.

However, I don't think SEC coaches are trembling in fear or really all that worried about him.

Butch has a solid record as a head coach and is proving to be a great (likely elite) recruiter, but that doesn't always equal success in the toughest conference in the nation.

That said, I do think Butch is the SEC's next rising star and will start punching everyone else in the mouth, but only time will tell if that actually happens.

Not really a moral victory. More like the difference a loss and a surrender.

In other words, that's like saying "at least they didn't quit" after the loss. Hate to break it to you, but that's a moral victory.

But tell yourself whatever you need to to feel better.

Last edited:
As I watched numerous SEC coaches making their espn rounds, I couldn't help but notice some changes in their demeanor. Saban and Spurrier were markedly different from previous demeanor in the media. Forgive my orange glasses, but I truly believe they are adjusting as Butch's influence swells in the SEC. I'll provide a couple examples of what I'm referring to.

First, Saban has been far more positive in his interaction with media. My theory is that he has recognized Butch's positivity having an overwhelming impact on recruits and their families. In previous years, he seemed to have a my way or highway mentality. Now he's talking about treating the kids like family. Not to say that he never did before, but it has certainly increased this year. Butch's positivity is working and others are following suit.

Now for the old ball coach. This year Spurrier has routinely mentioned/plugged their recruiting rankings, namedropping players drafted, etc. We all know Butch uses these tactics in the media often to plant seeds with recruits. This is the first time I've ever seen Spurrier have anything but a dismissive attitude in interviews. In the past he was just itching to get to the nearest golf course and saw little value in the media appearance.

To sum up: Butch is having success by out working other coaches and they are taking notice and are adjusting to try and hold him off. To me that is the greatest verification that Butch's process IS working.

Granted much of this post is based in theory, but the adjustments other coaches are making is striking to me. You certainly don't have to agree, but I take it as a sign of great things to come for the Big Orange.

Go Vols! #believe

I am going to go with a coach's club or seminar that raises awareness on what recruits are looking for. Some generations respond to alpha male type coaches who chew gum in interviews and show their ego every time they speak. These cycles that we talk about are really more than football. It is all of life. One generation likes the alpha male and the next likes the transparent player's coach and politicking.

This is a nine page thread and while there is a dumpster with gasoline sitting inside of it, thanks for the offseason thoughts. I have as much proof as you do for your opinion to validate my opinion on the observations of Saban or Spurrier, that I never witnessed.

I've noticed the same things as the OP.
Trust me, every coach in the SEC was thrilled for UT to have Dooley.
They remember when UT was the buzz in recruiting and was always on the tip of the tongue of top recruits. You think they don't hear it?
CBJ has a very compelling formula and not only is it attracting recruits it is attraction character. 32 out of 32? Unheard of. APR? Resurrected! Those same coaches were telling recruits (Carl Lawson) that UT couldn't even play in a bowl if they made it, since Dooley's method put the school in academic peril.
Off season incidents? Player accountability?
Yep, they're worried.

Butch does say "The Correct" things, is complementary of opponents, and is selling Tennessee as family, but just like everyone else, he's going to say things to his players and coaches he wouldn't say in public. Lou Holtz was a master at this. I'm sure it isn't coach speak behind closed doors in the locker room. We are not going to get other people's respect until we begin to beat them on the field. Next year, IMO, will be the year we see Butch's plan start to come to fruition. Then, the Bamas, Gators, Bulldogs, and Gamecocks of the world need to beware. 'Ole Smokey has just been sleeping, and he's about to wake from his slumber, and get back to his rightful place on the porch. 'Cause that's where the Big Dogs stay, and these other teams need to get ready for some company.

I don't think it's that farfetched to think that they see his demeanor and the results it's bringing and try to emulate it to get recruits they may not otherwise. CFB is an ever changing game, and these guys did not get to where they are by letting their tactics stagnate. What better place to learn a new way to do something than by doing what someone else has shown works?

VN Store

Back