Other SEC coaches fearing the rise of our proud program

As I watched numerous SEC coaches making their espn rounds, I couldn't help but notice some changes in their demeanor. Saban and Spurrier were markedly different from previous demeanor in the media. Forgive my orange glasses, but I truly believe they are adjusting as Butch's influence swells in the SEC. I'll provide a couple examples of what I'm referring to.

First, Saban has been far more positive in his interaction with media. My theory is that he has recognized Butch's positivity having an overwhelming impact on recruits and their families. In previous years, he seemed to have a my way or highway mentality. Now he's talking about treating the kids like family. Not to say that he never did before, but it has certainly increased this year. Butch's positivity is working and others are following suit.

Now for the old ball coach. This year Spurrier has routinely mentioned/plugged their recruiting rankings, namedropping players drafted, etc. We all know Butch uses these tactics in the media often to plant seeds with recruits. This is the first time I've ever seen Spurrier have anything but a dismissive attitude in interviews. In the past he was just itching to get to the nearest golf course and saw little value in the media appearance.

To sum up: Butch is having success by out working other coaches and they are taking notice and are adjusting to try and hold him off. To me that is the greatest verification that Butch's process IS working.

Granted much of this post is based in theory, but the adjustments other coaches are making is striking to me. You certainly don't have to agree, but I take it as a sign of great things to come for the Big Orange.

Go Vols! #believe

I think you are on to something, I have seen it this recruiting season Sabin not acting like a ass to the media, other coaches ect.

I right the with you CBJ is changing the Coaching culture in the SEC :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
Good luck with that kiffen sickness...it's gonna take you down hard. Trust us, we've been there.

I really like elephants ... when they have GOP logos!

He didn't fail in Knoxville. When we drove through there recently, you could still get a faint whiff of something like smoldering mattresses in the night breeze. Everyone leaves a legacy.

Last edited:
I don't think any reasonable person would argue against this. Bama has had top tier talent coming in since Saban arrived. There is enough national top talent year in and year out to be roughly equivalent for the top 5-7 teams, depending on the year. Step one is consistently recruiting to that level, so you have people at every position beyond your 2 deep who can come on the field and stand toe to toe with the best the other guys have. This is where Tennessee has been lacking the last few years, and is why people are excited now. Obviously the next step is developing that talent, something which Saban has shown he can do (as has Butch at a lower level of play).
It's stupid to say Bama is hurt by our recruiting; they will be fine as long as Saban is there in that regard. The difference is now we are starting have the tools to stay in the game, and if you can stay in the game, you can win.
I think that this is a good thing not only for Tennessee, but for the SEC in general. I'm of course biased, but I would imagine that Fall is more exciting for Bama fans when the Third Saturday is one of the big ones circled on the calendar.

I still get excited even against the odds now. But we play the game on the field for a reason. Stranger things have happened & will happen. See '09

So what you're saying is 8 in a row sounds pretty safe? Not sure how our schedule gets as much playing time as it does in these parts. LSU discussing our SOS is not quite the same as coming from a rival we could sue for abandonment.

I can only guess that in real life you must be a total loser! I've never understood why someone would go on another team's site and talk smack. I feel sorry for someone who has to go to this extent to attempt to make themselves look good and feel competent. Freak I apologize for stooping to this level but Bama fans are the absolute worst and bring this out of me!

Must be something goin' on. I haven't seen this many folks from Bama taking interest on our board... ever. Maybe Butch has hit a nerve.

Reactions: 3 people
Must be something goin' on. I haven't seen this many folks from Bama taking interest on our board... ever. Maybe Butch has hit a nerve.

Bammers are nervous bc they've never seen their "mighty Coach Saban" squirm under pressure. It's hard to deny Butch & Co. are making other staffs work a bit harder on the recruiting trail.

The coaches perspective shift is more fundamental. It is a respect for the total program and recognition of its return to form. I would venture that a similar effect was noted when Alabama and LSU started to recover from their downtimes.

As noted: for the SEC, UT's return to form is very important as this ads another team into the national contender spotlight and associated revenue, not to mention the expansion of the NFL draft pipeline.

You do realize is we are right we are not trolling?
Now you got point/counterpoint. The stuff of all good debates.

I think that's exactly what you're doing

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-24-18-31-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-24-18-31-09.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
As I watched numerous SEC coaches making their espn rounds, I couldn't help but notice some changes in their demeanor. Saban and Spurrier were markedly different from previous demeanor in the media. Forgive my orange glasses, but I truly believe they are adjusting as Butch's influence swells in the SEC. I'll provide a couple examples of what I'm referring to.

First, Saban has been far more positive in his interaction with media. My theory is that he has recognized Butch's positivity having an overwhelming impact on recruits and their families. In previous years, he seemed to have a my way or highway mentality. Now he's talking about treating the kids like family. Not to say that he never did before, but it has certainly increased this year. Butch's positivity is working and others are following suit.

Now for the old ball coach. This year Spurrier has routinely mentioned/plugged their recruiting rankings, namedropping players drafted, etc. We all know Butch uses these tactics in the media often to plant seeds with recruits. This is the first time I've ever seen Spurrier have anything but a dismissive attitude in interviews. In the past he was just itching to get to the nearest golf course and saw little value in the media appearance.

To sum up: Butch is having success by out working other coaches and they are taking notice and are adjusting to try and hold him off. To me that is the greatest verification that Butch's process IS working.

Granted much of this post is based in theory, but the adjustments other coaches are making is striking to me. You certainly don't have to agree, but I take it as a sign of great things to come for the Big Orange.

Go Vols! #believe

Quality post, sir! :hi: :good!: :loco:

Bama's average SOS ranking from Sagarin's system over the past seven years is in the top 10. I don't know how that shakes out amongst the other systems because I don't feel like doing the math that many times.

Translation...you ran out of fingers and toes.

Quality post, sir! :hi: :good!: :loco:
Yep. It is a good post, merely validated by the attention given by knee-jerk trolls. It's a sad hole to live in, in which one thinks they're displaying intellect by, while in the secrecy of their sticky keyboard environment, disgust others by bragging about their favorite 'whatever.' This is most likely when they've provided nothing to that entity on their own. It's proof positive here, that Butch is creating quite a stir in college football as a whole and, secondarily, most notably within the SEC. Don't feed the trolls, my friends. Your responses are the grubby morsels of charity they're seeking. It's much better to feed the homeless.

Sooner than they would like to admit.

Kiffin and an inexperienced QB are coming to Knoxville in October.

...just sayin'.

That soon? You mean like, right now, soon?
That seems......................................................... soon.

Nobody is fearing the UT football team. No school in the SEC or nation will ever again fear UT until they begin beating good football teams. Wins against Kentucky and Vanderbilt do not count.

VN Store

Back