Tony B says Butch "got blown up over DeBord"

So you pay a coach $3mil/year and you don't trust him to make good hires? I would be calling my agent and asking him where I could get a real coaching job?

I am sure that Basillio has been terminated from several stations for a reason. Why do people still listen to him?

Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:

The Tony Basilio Show

He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.

OR ... let me go waaaaaay out on a limb here ... some guy who has a ratings goal and a deadline ran with a story that he has absolutely no clue of the accuracy. He will in no way ever be held accountable if / when this rumor / concoction is proven false. He will simply keep the makeup and hair spray flowing because their are enough sheep to listen to him as if he actually knows what he is saying. :no:

Most of the OCs of top 10 ranked offenses last season made less than $500K. Stop acting like Butch has to shop in a flea market.
1 Baylor- Art Briles offense, Kendall Briles OC
2 Marshall- Holiday's offense
3 Oregon- Helfrich's offense; Frost isn't moving laterally
4 Western Ky.-Jeff Brohm's offense
5 TCU- Neither OC are moving laterally.
- East Carolina- Lincoln Riley
7 Washington St.- Leach's system
8 Mississippi St.- Mullen's system
9 Ohio St.- Meyer's system
10 Texas Tech- Kingsbury's system

A few interesting points about that poorly formated list though. Most are directly associated with the Leach coaching tree and derivatives of the "Air Raid" offense, Briles, Riley, Kingsbury, Cumbie. Most also have offensive minded head coaches, honestly I have no idea how much implementation of the offense the coordinator actually has, I know Leach calls plays for WSU even though he is HC.

Now you could just simply form a pool of candidates by offensive output at other schools without considering your current players and whether they fit that system or just hire them without considering that maybe they aren't the offensive mastermind behind that system being implemented but I think that there are a lot of considerations other than just statistical offensive output. Give me someone from a similar system that performs well against his best competition instead of some of these that have padded their stats versus inferior competition. I just think that statistical total offense as a guide is extremely myopic in going about evaluating a candidate. JMHO though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Tony B suggesting that UT using Volquest to put up a front to shield the possible hiring of Debord. I know you guys trash the dude, but it doesn't sound unbelievable to me.

Many of you guys goof on Hyams because his stories supposedly break late, but this B is just VN with a microphone he hears a rumor spreads it, attributes it to X and most you guys believe him.
Give me right and a little late, rather than early and mostly wrong.

What has he been wrong on?

8 Mississippi St.- Freeze's system

A few interesting points about that poorly formated list though. Most are directly associated with the Leach coaching tree and derivatives of the "Air Raid" offense, Briles, Riley, Kingsbury, Cumbie. Most also have offensive minded head coaches, honestly I have no idea how much implementation of the offense the coordinator actually has, I know Leach calls plays for WSU even though he is HC.

Now you could just simply form a pool of candidates by offensive output at other schools without considering your current players and whether they fit that system or just hire them without considering that maybe they aren't the offensive mastermind behind that system being implemented but I think that there are a lot of considerations other than just statistical offensive output. Give me someone from a similar system that performs well against his best competition instead of some of these that have padded their stats versus inferior competition. I just think that statistical total offense as a guide is extremely myopic in going about evaluating a candidate. JMHO though.

Pretty sure Freeze isn't at Miss St.

Tony B suggesting that UT using Volquest to put up a front to shield the possible hiring of Debord. I know you guys trash the dude, but it doesn't sound unbelievable to me.

I'm not sure what this even means? VQ has said Debord is the leader right now. Perhaps I'm confused by the wording there.

8 Mississippi St.- Freeze's system

The reason I've stuck with saying I would hire Cumbie is because being the guy vs being a Co OC would be enticing. Add to it the 150-200 grand bump in pay and imo, he listens.

The reason I've stuck with saying I would hire Cumbie is because being the guy vs being a Co OC would be enticing. Add to it the 150-200 grand bump in pay and imo, he listens.

Possibly but he can probably stay put and get an offer as a HC next season. He has the right personnel where he is, the right situation, and he is a Texas kid which makes no sense but always plays a factor. TCU will be ranked highly and if that offense puts up similar numbers he will probably get an opportunity at a HC gig.

Someone like Smith from Zona would make more sense to me than the Air Raid guys. Zona was up there for the most plays ran this year, may have been the most, highly ranked offense, same root system as Butch, actually beat Oregon. That would be the perfect fit IMO.

I'm not sure what this even means? VQ has said Debord is the leader right now. Perhaps I'm confused by the wording there.

Sorry for my wording, his guest believes that they are using VQ to make it look like Debord is the leading candidate when he is really the only candidate.

Tee Martin would be a good hire HOWEVER what would Hurd say when he is hired? Remember when Hurd signed with us, Martin was heard saying that USC didn't want Hurd anyway because he was SOFT.

Tee: "Hey, Jalen, I apologize"
Jalen: "It's all good coach, let's get to work"

Happens every day.

If this is true (and with the source being Tony B, you have to wonder), it's the kind of thing that makes good coaches start looking around.JMO

8 Mississippi St.- Mullen's system

Not sure where your list came from. I'm pulling my stats from ESPN.

1. Oregon - would Frost leave for more money? Does he want to stay at a place where he will never get the majority of credit for the offense?
2. Marshall - OC makes way less than UT is paying. Probably better to have OC of nation's #2 offense than a guy who has been out of football for years or a guy whose offense couldn't crack the top 40.
3. Ohio State - not a viable option
4. Baylor - OC left to become HC. Not a viable option.
5. Western Kentucky - OC makes way less than UT is paying. Probably better to have OC of nation's #5 offense than a guy who has been out of football for years or a guy whose offense couldn't crack the top 40.
6. (tie) East Carolina - OC left. Not a viable option.
6. (tie) TCU - Would Cumbie like to call plays? Would either Meachem or Cumbie like a better title and better pay?
8. Boise State - OC makes way less than UT is paying. Probably better to have OC of nation's #8 offense than a guy who has been out of football for years or a guy whose offense couldn't crack the top 40.
9. Alabama - NOT A VIABLE OPTION.
10. Mississippi State - not a viable option.

There are 5 OCs there that could probably be lured away for the right price. And, at least a few of those probably wouldn't break the bank.

I do agree that fit is very important though.

The weird thing is, back when Butch first started here and the offense really struggled in his first season, every question of whether this offense would work was met with "This offense is just like Oregon/Auburn/Texas A&M/etc....we just need the personnel" responses. Now, everyone is acting like this is the most unique offense of all time and we have to dig through the jungle to find someone capable of running it. It's odd.

If this offense is so unique (or if Butch is so difficult to mesh with) that we have to find guy who is out of football or a guy whose offensive stats aren't very impressive, then one has to wonder if this offense will ever work in this league or improve much from the 83rd in the nation-type results we have seen so far.

Reactions: 1 person
Couple things about Basilio. Yes, he has bounced around town, but that's just radio. Most of his transitionswere due to format or ownership changes. AM 1240 went to Oldies and was later divested by South Central. Even today Tony often speaks kindly (during his show) of his 1240 GM (Craig Jacobus). I think TB did a stint with Horne, they've changed hands. A year or two ago TB was on 1180, but he was buying the airtime. He was a essentially a customer of 1180, not an employee. He has now literally built a studio in his basement and has arrangements with a couple of Knoxville stations. He's basically a mom & pop sports talk programming operation.

Also, ratings aren't really that big of a deal for his shows. His business model includes a remote broadcast almost every weekday. All that he has to do is bring a couple dozen followers to the business and he has made his advertiser happy.

He's a nice change of pace from the traditional media operations that regurgitate the same drivel all around town. He'll call out coaches and stir the conspiracy theory... bottom line it's entertainment with a little different take on the information spin.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's the thing with the DeBord hire, Butch has been preaching his system since day one and cramming this "it's a process" crap down everyones throat. What does that say about his system or his process to bring in a guy who has never ran this type of system? Remember when everyone was questioning his system when "Worley would never keep the ball" and how he blew up on the media saying they dont understand the system and the fans dont understand the process? As far as the big time donors go, when it comes down to it they dont have the final say so as far as who Butch hires. But you better believe Butch wants them on his side if he wants to survive here, another thing to remember is one of the biggest donors to the football program is still butt hurt over the Fulmer deal. So it would probably be in Butch's best interest to at least hear the donors out.

That's the system he ran when he was a head coach and Butch was his coordinator.

Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:

The Tony Basilio Show

He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.

They should leave him alone and let him hire HIS staff as he sees fit. He will be the one to deal with the consequences, good or bad.

Basilio has earned his reputation for NOT being a reliable source.

That said, it doesn't take any special clairvoyance to know that the big $ donors would have an interest in this hire. While I personally doubt Jones was told "no, you can't hire him"... It is very likely that they told him to look around first. They may have given him some assurances on money for both the OC and any current coach that might be impacted by the OC hire's salary.

All in all... this sounds like reasonable suspicion reported as fact. Very "Basilio"... though his suspicions don't always have to be reasonable for him to report them as facts.

VN Store

Back