Tony B says Butch "got blown up over DeBord"

How many times do we have to listen to Basilio be wrong about something before we stop paying attention to his prognostications?

Actually, I think he is one of the better media guys in Knoxville when it comes to "prognosticating". He doesn't live and die by who his connections are, so isn't afraid to say what he wants.

He sure as heck wasn't afraid to say Dooley was awful when virtually everyone in the Vol fanbase was attacking Dooley critics on message boards and the like.

Also, I wouldn't call the subject of this thread prognosticating, he was simply saying the booster alums were giving feedback.

Reactions: 2 people
Tee Martin would be a good hire HOWEVER what would Hurd say when he is hired? Remember when Hurd signed with us, Martin was heard saying that USC didn't want Hurd anyway because he was SOFT.

I think they are both grown up to know that things are said and it wasnt personal

I am guessing you did not watch the film of Michigan v Florida in the bowl game. Debord installed an offense that looks VERY similar to what we run and did so in just 1 month leading up to the bowl game. Acting like Debord would be some lost puppy running around with no idea how our offense works is complete ignorance.
One game....one single game in all his years. It wasn't a zone read offense, like ours. Just a spread offense in a passing sense....using a slow-footed Pocket passer. And that was his last game as an OC.

We were in a pretty desperate place when Dooley was hired...We got turned down by Troy Calhoun!....the Air Force HC and popular character on the Simpsons! Our boosters are rich and have power over people's lives, but they are normal fans and probably weren't feeling too emboldened. :pinch:

No one wants to take a job from an AD that is on his way out the door. Roster was depleted, Hamilton was on the ropes, admin was such a politic cluster F at that time, and the timing was just atrocious as well.

Tee Martin would be a good hire HOWEVER what would Hurd say when he is hired? Remember when Hurd signed with us, Martin was heard saying that USC didn't want Hurd anyway because he was SOFT.

Good memory. I had forgotten about that short audio clip. I'd imagine the approach would be like I didn't want to say a Tennessee alum couldn't sway a Tennessee kid to USC. So I just said something to make the staff move on to a kid USC could get. Then Tee would say trust me JALEN I've seen what you've done to defensive players. No way would I step in front of you.And JALEN being the mature kid he is will just say it's cool I'll show you how soft I am when I add another SEC championship ring to your finger.

One game....one single game in all his years. It wasn't a zone read offense, like ours. Just a spread offense in a passing sense....using a slow-footed Pocket passer. And that was his last game as an OC.

The point is, that contradicts your point, he installed a spread offense in a month. An offense that they did not run the entire season because Carr wanted to run his offensive system. He installed a spread offense well enough in 1 month to put up 41 points against a strong UF defense but he would not be successful here as an OC because he is not familiar with the spread?!?! You, me, and everyone else on this board has NO IDEA what his knowledge is of the spread offense. But guess what, people who have coached with him and interviewed him know. He might not the guy we hire. But if he is hired I can promise you that CBJ through his years of coaching with him and interviewing him know for a fact that he is very knowledgeable of the spread offense. So tired of petulant childish attitudes because we need our jollies stroked with a young, sexy, exciting hire. The fact that fans NEED that is an indictment on them.

END RANT....

Reactions: 4 people
I wish CBJ could find a OC that was once a college QB (perhaps even a clipboard holder), is a QB/WR coach right now, understands his "system" and has shown signs of being ready to move up to the OC position. I'd like him to have been an assistant on a few bowl wins, perhaps compete/win a conference title as an assistant and has served as recruiting coordinator in the past (at some point). Finally, I would start my search in the WAC and PAC-10.

The problem with modern day coaches as I see it....is that it has become a "club". They are constantly networking during the off season which in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing...but many times that networking is "safety net construction" in the event the ground caves in beneath said coach. So......when you have a OC position to fill....you go to your friends (and former friends) in the "club" and pick one - regardless if there is someone(s) better and more able.

Dooley to the Cowboys is an example...
Sunseri to FSU is an example....

The list of people on the coaching carousel could go on and on and on.....

We were in a pretty desperate place when Dooley was hired...We got turned down by Troy Calhoun!....the Air Force HC and popular character on the Simpsons! Our boosters are rich and have power over people's lives, but they are normal fans and probably weren't feeling too emboldened. :pinch:

I'm sure you mean Troy McClure... You might remember him from such self-help videos as "Smoke Yourself Thin", and "Get Confident, Stupid."

It's not like DeBOARD is on any other radars except the Pakistani Olympic Committee perhaps.

Butch should be coach. I think he will be and snub big money on the decision he makes.

Here's the thing with the DeBord hire, Butch has been preaching his system since day one and cramming this "it's a process" crap down everyones throat. What does that say about his system or his process to bring in a guy who has never ran this type of system? Remember when everyone was questioning his system when "Worley would never keep the ball" and how he blew up on the media saying they dont understand the system and the fans dont understand the process? As far as the big time donors go, when it comes down to it they dont have the final say so as far as who Butch hires. But you better believe Butch wants them on his side if he wants to survive here, another thing to remember is one of the biggest donors to the football program is still butt hurt over the Fulmer deal. So it would probably be in Butch's best interest to at least hear the donors out.
DeBord has ran the offense before, he didnt at UM because Lloyd Carr ran his own offense. DeBord actually taught CBJ a lot about his offense.

I would love for it to be Tee Martin just so I can sit back and watch a bunch of Tee - hating jack wagons try to reverse course and give him a hero's welcome

Tee hating jack wagons? Tee is the only hater in this situation. He called the best RB to play for TN in a decade "soft and terrible." He spurned us to stay in Cali with Lane Kiffin.

Tee had his chance and he not only passed on it, he pissed and **** all over it and basically rubbed our faces in it.

And besides, what makes you think he would even be an average Offensive Coordinator?

I've read all the points and counter points. I don't envy CBJ his task. With his OC salary budget of about $500K he isn't going to attract any of the Arizona crew or the other $1mil hires that have been mentioned. This leaves him with old reliable dinosaurs past their prime but may have one more bout left in them, or an untested up and coming gun slinger who is beneath the radar at some lower level institution. Both propositions have their risks. Compromise solution maybe promote coach Z, reassign some duties and we go hire a QB coach or some other combination. I think the compromise solution will be the ultimate solution.

I've read all the points and counter points. I don't envy CBJ his task. With his OC salary budget of about $500K he isn't going to attract any of the Arizona crew or the other $1mil hires that have been mentioned. This leaves him with old reliable dinosaurs past their prime but may have one more bout left in them, or an untested up and coming gun slinger who is beneath the radar at some lower level institution. Both propositions have their risks. Compromise solution maybe promote coach Z, reassign some duties and we go hire a QB coach or some other combination. I think the compromise solution will be the ultimate solution.

You honestly think Butch is even interviewing Helton if his budget is 500k? That's not even worth getting on a plane for.

I honestly think TN coordinators will making around 600 grand this year. CJJ has proven his worth. Who could Butch hire at around 600 at OC is the question. I think he hires DeBord. I would hire Sonny Cumbie. DeBord is a safe hire for Butch imo.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't agree with you often but you're dead right on this one. If boosters had a big say, someone would've probably kicked Hamilton's door down when rumors about Dooley circulated.

Unfortunately you are wrong - in an effort to protect the guilty - I personally know that donors were actually involved in the vetting and selection of Dooley.

Also anecdotal - the demise of the Bill Battle coaching staff was when he hired a buddy he grew up with as his Defensive Co - Ord. Don't remember the guys name - seems like it was Jerry something but he was awful and had no experience. I would think one of the AD's main responsibilities is to make sure of quality hires throughout the department. He would also be setting the budget for the spend on the OC, etc.

Most of the OCs of top 10 ranked offenses last season made less than $500K. Stop acting like Butch has to shop in a flea market.

Many of you guys goof on Hyams because his stories supposedly break late, but this B is just VN with a microphone he hears a rumor spreads it, attributes it to X and most you guys believe him.
Give me right and a little late, rather than early and mostly wrong.

"Dictated" is exactly what his over dramatized post implied.

This whole OC search is fan soap opera BS.
Yep, GAVOL. I think the fan base in general is being more patient; understanding that bUTch is proceeding through his process, as he does routinely. Why wouldn't he just fly down his old, wise buddy DeBord to add his pearls of wisdom to this process? There's been nothing official indicating the "old" Michigan OC has been a candidate. Initially, I was annoyed by all the children running around with their hair set afire, decrying the brick wall is about to cave in. Now I'm just grinning, shaking my head and looking forward to a better implemented offense for 2015. With ESPN covering UT on NSD, I'd say bUTch will add to the hype with a timely announcement of a surprise hiring. I'll report back after NSD.

VN Store

Back