Tony B says Butch "got blown up over DeBord"

AD Hart just might be the biggest problem.

There's zero doubt that AD Hart has given buTch a max number that he can spend to get a new OC.

Sadly it's still a fact that Tennessee does still have a money problem in the AD department and most either don't know it or refuse to accept that fact.

Some AD's at other schools have $30 Million to $50 Million cash stashed away for whatever comes up while UT is still paying off CDD while he's making good money at the cowgirls watching Dez Bryant make him look good.

Our AD was almost bankrupt when Hart took over thanks to ignorance of Hamilton and 1 of the top priorities for AD Hart is to cut spending whereever he can and build back up the stash of cash for emergencies like we have now.

We may not like it but you can bet that buTch has his hands tied by AD Hart on how much he can spend to hire our next OC.

Never forget that our footVol team is a multi-Million dollar business and AD Hart has goals set to make the UT AD business profitable no matter where he has to cut corners.

Pay too much for a new OC and all the other coaches feel slighted and get pissed off so buTch has a hard task right now to keep everyone happy and try not to lose our best coaches and recruiters.

I don't envy the position he's in right now at all.

buTch absolutely hates to lose and he knows that with some of our best freshmen from last season he knows he only has a 2 year window to try his best to make it into the NC playoffs because some, like Hurd, might leave early for the $$$ of the NFL.

I sure wish I was on the inside during all of this and could hear everything that's going on, LOL!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
They should leave him alone and let him hire HIS staff as he sees fit. He will be the one to deal with the consequences, good or bad.

I agree completely that Jones should be able to hire someone he believes in and who fits his plan. That said, those who are footing the bill have a right to influence the decision.

There certainly are budget constraints in play. Despite the TV money and rich donors, the money available to the operation is still finite and has to be responsibly managed.

Losing 6 or 7 games every year since 2008 only make it worse. If the program was winning it would be easier to deal with the finances.

Sorry for my wording, his guest believes that they are using VQ to make it look like Debord is the leading candidate when he is really the only candidate.

Sounds like Tony is backtracking to cover his ass if Debord is hired.

Seems like an awful waste of jet fuel if Butch is flying across the country to interview no one.

There's zero doubt that AD Hart has given buTch a max number that he can spend to get a new OC.

Sadly it's still a fact that Tennessee does still have a money problem in the AD department and most either don't know it or refuse to accept that fact.

Some AD's at other schools have $30 Million to $50 Million cash stashed away for whatever comes up while UT is still paying off CDD while he's making good money at the cowgirls watching Dez Bryant make him look good.

Our AD was almost bankrupt when Hart took over thanks to ignorance of Hamilton and 1 of the top priorities for AD Hart is to cut spending whereever he can and build back up the stash of cash for emergencies like we have now.

We may not like it but you can bet that buTch has his hands tied by AD Hart on how much he can spend to hire our next OC.

Never forget that our footVol team is a multi-Million dollar business and AD Hart has goals set to make the UT AD business profitable no matter where he has to cut corners.

Pay too much for a new OC and all the other coaches feel slighted and get pissed off so buTch has a hard task right now to keep everyone happy and try not to lose our best coaches and recruiters.

buTch absolutely hates to lose and he knows that with some of our best freshmen from last season he knows he only has a 2 year window to try his best to make it into the NC playoffs because some, like Hurd, might leave early for the $$$ of the NFL.

I sure wish I was on the inside during all of this and could hear everything that's going on, LOL!

:eek:lol: The athletic reserve was depleted. UT athletics wasn't close to bankruptcy. However there is a big difference in bringing in 60 million a year (close to what we were brining in when Dooley was let go) and almost 100 million a year (which is close to what we're bringing in now.) Money will not be an issue on this hire because too much money is at stake if the hire is wrong. Risking 40 million (yeah that's a wee bit of sandbagging, SEC TV makes up a large portion of the profit change) in revenue to save what a half million per year, yeah that makes no sense.

The stadium renovations are on hold. Needing more money.

Stadium renovations are in the Tens of millions of dollars. Pennypinching on an OC is beyond stupid.....if Hart has handcuffed Jones from hiring the best OC he can find, then Hart's hairdyed a$$ needs to get to packing...jmo

If Tony B made that claim , then that means Debored is probably the new OC. I hope not but Would not surprise me one bit.

Stadium renovations are in the Tens of millions of dollars. Pennypinching on an OC is beyond stupid.....if Hart has handcuffed Jones from hiring the best OC he can find, then Hart's hairdyed a$$ needs to get to packing...jmo

Please, let us keep the distinction clear. The "best" OC and the fan base choice of the best OC are not necessarily one and the same.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure where your list came from. I'm pulling my stats from ESPN.

1. Oregon - would Frost leave for more money? Does he want to stay at a place where he will never get the majority of credit for the offense?
2. Marshall - OC makes way less than UT is paying. Probably better to have OC of nation's #2 offense than a guy who has been out of football for years or a guy whose offense couldn't crack the top 40.
3. Ohio State - not a viable option
4. Baylor - OC left to become HC. Not a viable option.
5. Western Kentucky - OC makes way less than UT is paying. Probably better to have OC of nation's #5 offense than a guy who has been out of football for years or a guy whose offense couldn't crack the top 40.
6. (tie) East Carolina - OC left. Not a viable option.
6. (tie) TCU - Would Cumbie like to call plays? Would either Meachem or Cumbie like a better title and better pay?
8. Boise State - OC makes way less than UT is paying. Probably better to have OC of nation's #8 offense than a guy who has been out of football for years or a guy whose offense couldn't crack the top 40.
9. Alabama - NOT A VIABLE OPTION.
10. Mississippi State - not a viable option.

There are 5 OCs there that could probably be lured away for the right price. And, at least a few of those probably wouldn't break the bank.

I do agree that fit is very important though.

The weird thing is, back when Butch first started here and the offense really struggled in his first season, every question of whether this offense would work was met with "This offense is just like Oregon/Auburn/Texas A&M/etc....we just need the personnel" responses. Now, everyone is acting like this is the most unique offense of all time and we have to dig through the jungle to find someone capable of running it. It's odd.

If this offense is so unique (or if Butch is so difficult to mesh with) that we have to find guy who is out of football or a guy whose offensive stats aren't very impressive, then one has to wonder if this offense will ever work in this league or improve much from the 83rd in the nation-type results we have seen so far.

Napier from Ala is a very viable option and would be a great hire. He would immediately be a top 2 recruiter for us.

How many times do we have to listen to Basilio be wrong about something before we stop paying attention to his prognostications?

Lot of good stuff from him. He is more informed than most on this board. Most of his info is spot on. Nobody gets it right 100% of the time.:):):)

Napier from Ala is a very viable option and would be a great hire. He would immediately be a top 2 recruiter for us.

Napier would be a good target on several levels IMO.

He has experiences coaching QB's and WR in addition to play calling.

Him moving around has been him being a victim of circumstance as much as anything.

He'd be a plus in recruiting.

He'd be affordable at his current salary of 325 K.

It would hurt Bama.

He may be miffed at Kiffin getting the OC job last season.

He'd give Jones some fresh perspective on this offense that he hasn't had in 8 years with Bajakian. Get 10 years into things, and some new ideas aren't necessarily the worst thing in the world.

Napier would be a good target on several levels IMO.

He has experiences coaching QB's and WR in addition to play calling.

Him moving around has been him being a victim of circumstance as much as anything.

He'd be a plus in recruiting.

He'd be affordable at his current salary of 325 K.

It would hurt Bama.

He may be miffed at Kiffin getting the OC job last season.

He'd give Jones some fresh perspective on this offense that he hasn't had in 8 years with Bajakian. Get 10 years into things, and some new ideas aren't necessarily the worst thing in the world.

I can't help but be nervous when talking about Saban assistants after Dooley and Sal.

Tony Basilio makes crap up. Now is UT going to pay 1 million for an OC? No, they have rarely if ever paid top money but that doesn't mean we are going to offering scraps either.

Tony Basilio makes crap up. Now is UT going to pay 1 million for an OC? No, they have rarely if ever paid top money but that doesn't mean we are going to offering scraps either.

They just got 19.6 million reasons why they can upgrade if they choose to.

The stadium renovation payments are spread out over decades. Actually in the annual financials the cash paid to the entire coaching staff could exceed the loan payments on a renovation.

My original point was that the budgetary constraints are real. So real that they've delayed the work on the stadium.

The stadium renovation payments are spread out over decades. Actually in the annual financials the cash paid to the entire coaching staff could exceed the loan payments on a renovation.

My original point was that the budgetary constraints are real. So real that they've delayed the work on the stadium.

Didnt they just start renovations on the lindsey nelson?

Just glad we aren't speculating or anything.

Reactions: 4 people
Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:

The Tony Basilio Show

He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.

Has Lovies plane landed yet? When it does, we can talk Tony

This pro-style/spread argument is kind of funny to me since basically every "spread guy" grew up playing and coaching I-formation or pro-style offense. It's just the Veer run with WRs from the shotgun formation ... not a foreign language.

Reactions: 2 people
All kidding aside, if the big money guys have issues over a DeBord hire, then maybe they should kick some more money into the pot. Then maybe we could stop bargain basement shopping every damned coaching search.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back