Sad reality

The fans want championships. We are starved for it per Herbstreet.

The University of Tennessee would "like" to win championships but it's not a priority.

Look at the last hire. We went the cheap route. And gave a huge buyout to get the "cheap" guy so he'd take the job.

I really hope that CBJ can turn this around and win (which I doubt seriously) because I have zero confidence in my university to hire his replacement.
And here's more good news.
I think the standard for the fans is "win the east" next year. I think the standard for the university is less than that.

Someone convince me that I'm wrong.

The Crimson Tide head coach praised Kiffin's ability to mold his offensive systems around his Alabama players during his three years with the Tide, despite working with three different starting quarterbacks. Kiffin was able to help Alabama's offense evolve from its normal run-first, pro-style and play-action attack to a more spread look that has featured a lot more zone-read in 2016.

"Those are signs of tremendous maturity as a coach who is not just committed to a system but is committed to doing things that he has to help players be successful," Saban said.

Hopefully, Butch, Debord and our co-offensive coordinator, if there is, one can follow the foregoing lead and mold TNs offensive systems to the strengths of TNs players.

His philosophy has always been pretty simple pre Kiffin. Just out muscle you and wear you down while they play solid defense.

I think he did by hiring Kiffin. A lot of people claimed this would blow up a be a disaster when it happened.

As I said before, a lot of people don't like Kiffin but I'm big enough to give him credit for what he is.

I hate Kiffin for what he did to us. But I will admit, the guy knows offense.

Reactions: 1 person
Give it time, tempers will cool and it will be back on the butch train again.

I've been giving an honest opinion on what I think will happen as opposed to what I think should happen. Most think CBJ is gone after next year. I think if CBJ can beat Ga again and win 8-9 games he'll be the coach in 18. People don't want to hear that, and it doesn't make me happy, but that's where I think we are with our university.

Huge difference in what the fans call successful and what the administration calls successful. The 2 look at things from totally different angles. Adm looks and sees kids graduating, GPAs rising, football #2 in NCAA in making money (#1 is Texas with a losing record and Ala is #10 with multiple Natl Champ) and no issues with the NCAA.
Fans wants to talk about how tuff the SEC is top to bottom and then complains because another SEC team beats the Vols. With 14 teams in the conference UT had as many wins as 12 of them.
CBJ is not going anywhere right now. He's been good for the university, but heartbreaking for the fans. I think Butch is a very good coach to rebuild a program, but probably is not a coach to move the program to the top levels. He is great on the behind the scenes issues and a good recruiter but not X & Os on gameday.
My personal opinion is to keep Jones until a champ coach is available. My fav pick would be Chip Kelley. The only coach that will be available soon and has shown he is capable of coaching teams to a championship. I've seen no other names that are guaranteed winners THAT would come to UT. Petrino lost 3 games this year and lost to KY who UT beat easily. Fisher lost 3 games and was preseasoin top five. Not many guaranteed winners

Reactions: 2 people
Who cares about winning the east only to be thrashed by the Crimson Turd. Until Saban retires, the head coach of UT is inconsequential.

I've won many games over the years that my team were "sure to lose". This can't happen if you don't play the game.

I've been giving an honest opinion on what I think will happen as opposed to what I think should happen. Most think CBJ is gone after next year. I think if CBJ can beat Ga again and win 8-9 games he'll be the coach in 18. People don't want to hear that, and it doesn't make me happy, but that's where I think we are with our university.

I should be clear on what I meant on "bowl games", the Outback and Taxslayer type. As long as butch can get Tennessee to those type of bowls, the majority of this fanbase will be completely content with that. Then, there is no need for the university to elevate past that, the university will be making money. That's all that matters for them(university) and so long as that's happening(making money), the program is a success.

Last edited:
I should be clear on what I meant on "bowl games", the Outback and Taxslayer type. As long as butch can get Tennessee to those type of bowls, the majority of this fanbase will be completely content with that. Then, there is no need for the university to elevate past that, the university will be making money. That's all that matters for them and so long as that's happening, the program is a success.

I believe that is accurate.
And I believe that's what will happen again next year and the year after.

I will still watch every single play and hope for the best.

I believe that is accurate.
And I believe that's what will happen again next year and the year after.

I will still watch every single play and hope for the best.

I don't know what I'll do about next year. I love my/our school with all my heart but butch ruins the experience for me.

I don't know what I'll do about next year. I love my/our school with all my heart but butch ruins the experience for me.

He doesn't make it easy to like him.
I'm trying to remain positive based on what I believe will happen........he doesn't make it easy.

Saban isn't unbeatable. Extremely difficult to beat, but not unbeatable. I know some traditionalists might disagree with me, but I do wish they weren't our permanent rival. I know eras of dominance are cyclical and not everlasting, but facing Bama every year is a huge disadvantage right now. To beat them, they have to make mistakes while the other team is perfect. That's hard to do.

He doesn't make it easy to like him.
I'm trying to remain positive based on what I believe will happen........he doesn't make it easy.

It sucks too, there are some guys on this roster that I like watching that can play some football. I just wish they were utilized better.

But what do I know? If I knew so much and was so smart, I'd be HC. (That's not directed at you Max, but someone is bound to say it)

Last edited:
Whether or not I'll actively watch games.

in case you dont ---
fWx327.gif

The fans want championships. We are starved for it per Herbstreet.

The University of Tennessee would "like" to win championships but it's not a priority.

Look at the last hire. We went the cheap route. And gave a huge buyout to get the "cheap" guy so he'd take the job.

I really hope that CBJ can turn this around and win (which I doubt seriously) because I have zero confidence in my university to hire his replacement.
And here's more good news.
I think the standard for the fans is "win the east" next year. I think the standard for the university is less than that.

Someone convince me that I'm wrong.

I am disappointed with this season like most other VOL fans, but we need to look at reason. At the time he was hired, Butch Jones was probably the best option that was reasonably available. We would all like to have a Saban level coach, but there are probably only 3 or 4 at that level in all of college football, and there was no way we were getting them to come to Tennessee. I understand we originally offered the job to Charlie Strong, and he turned it down. Perhaps some of you would rather have had him, I hear he is available. The point is, unless you pay a huge sum to get a proven coach like Saban, it is basically a crap shoot with any other coach who may have had a good year or two, but no guarantees they will continue that way. Anyway, we simply cannot afford to keep changing coaches every 3 or 4 years, as we will pay a lot of money and probably never get anywhere. We are a lot better off than we were 4 years ago, and we need to give Jones another year or two to see if he can produce, and also so we don't have such a large payout if he doesn't. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, the injuries definitely had a part in this teams performance. Hopefully that will be considerably reduced next year. GBO.

Yeah it's sad reality when the fans expect more than the adminstration does. They just want your money and sell you false hope.. Gullible, loyal fans keep filling their pockets and we keep winding up with used car salesman coaches. Fanbase is loyal to a fault and they keep taking it to the bank..

This.

I see so many people on here who regularly complain about "negavols" and how the fan base doesn't deserve a good program, when the reality is that this program doesn't deserve its fan base.

He certainly has lost any shred of respect i had for him. How can you support a guy who was/is actively shopping himself to other schools. That wouldn't take him by the way. Butch isn't even good enough for Purdue.

This.

I see so many people on here who regularly complain about "negavols" and how the fan base doesn't deserve a good program, when the reality is that this program doesn't deserve its fan base.
No they don't. They prey off the history of the place and the prestige it once had. It's being eroded away by a bunch of greedy money hungry azzhats that couldn't run a lemonade stand effectively...Charge full price for half a cup..

I know Butch was a mid level coach but was hoping he would grow into a top level coach.This year was a step backward but if can pull a great season next all will be forgotten and forgiven.

There will be no great seaon nxt year.
Green QBs don't do well in the SEC

Hurts is a rare exception

VN Store

Back