Sad reality

Even in the Dooley years, this program never dropped outside the top 10 in attendance.

That says all anyone needs to know about the loyalty of this fan base.

What this program needs is someone with loyalty to the program and fans, not someone who can't negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag or coaches who are more worried about angling for extensions and raises than sticking around for a press conference.
The press conference deal was bush league. Leave your senior QB there to answer the questions you should be answering.

What's sad is watching a 2nd year coach vs 3rd year coach in a Championship game

Or the fact that Colorado was just in the Pac-12 championship.

Those coaches had no problems building their teams
up in less than 7 which is Butchs time frame

I seldom agree with Finebaum but when someone brought that 6-7 years to build a program quote up to him one day, he called it utter nonsense and it was ridiculous for him to have said that.

Sorry but I can't buy this defeatist attitude.

Kiffin was Terrance Cody's gut from beating Bama a few years ago with a much worse roster than Jones has had to work with.

Bama has ratcheted up several notches since 2009 but the right coach on the right day can still beat Bama.

Ask Hugh Freeze.

Thats fine if you dont buy because im not selling.

Sure, there are coaches who win and there are games Bama beats themselves (5 turnovers, kick 6). But...
Lemme ask you this, arent we in conference and play every year a once-in-a-generation coach? He's John Wooden,...Rupp,....Bear,....The General,....Lombardi. He's that type of coach with that type of run and we are in the background. He's Pat Summit, only shorter.

Last edited:
The press conference deal was bush league. Leave your senior QB there to answer the questions you should be answering.

Agreed.

Personally think the way Jones has handled himself the entire season has been pretty bush league.

The Saban's Meyer's, and Harbaugh's can get away with being a jerk to the press because they have won at the highest levels.

Jones' claim to fame is basically riding Brian Kelly's coattails and being friends with a guy who knew Tom Brady.

Reactions: 1 person
No disrespect but I think it's a bit of a fallacy to consider Jones the "cheap route" at this point.

Not sure of the buyout situation with Sweeney but the salaries are roughly 300 K apart.

Clemson looks to be well on their way to another playoff trip and conference title.

NCAAF | Coaches | Salaries | USA TODAY Sports

This is one of many things that has me ticked at Jones at this point.

There are a lot of coaches on that list making a lot less money that could deliver 8-4 records.

No, not necessarily "the cheap route", but definitely middle of the road, at best. There are SEC coaches that got paid more and delivered less wins this year.

UT paid Butch $4,130,000 in 2016
Butch's team won 8 Games.
UT paid about $516,250 per win.

So Butch got paid just less than the SEC average and delivered just more than the SEC average for wins. We got a bargain!

Sure, there are coaches who win and there are games Bama beats themselves (5 turnovers, kick 6). But...
Lemme ask you this, arent we in conference and play every year a once-in-a-generation coach? He's John Wooden,...Rupp,....Bear,....The General,....Lombardi. He's that type of coach with that type of run and we are in the background.

You can't refute what Saban has turned Bama in to, and what it will be as long as he stays there.

My issue with UT is they are not the "next man up" so to speak when Saban goes fishing.

Clearly I shouldn't be picking the coaches as I wanted Strong.

And that's not the point.
To get a Kelly type you're going to have to pay for it and I don't think it's in our business model.

I was pulling for us to get Strong also. It's neither here nor there, but following Mack Brown is a hell of a lot tougher than following Derek Dooley.

Lemme ask you this, arent we in conference and play every year a once-in-a-generation coach? He's John Wooden,...Rupp,....Bear,....The General,....Lombardi. He's that type of coach with that type of run and we are in the background.

Yes, he is up there with the all time greats but conceding defeat and not even trying to get to Bama's level until Saban retires is not a place anyone associated with TN should be going.

Hell man, Jones had them down late in the 4th quarter 2 years ago and it wasn't because Bama beat themselves with turnovers.

University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Football

Sorry but I can't buy this defeatist attitude.

Kiffin was Terrance Cody's gut from beating Bama a few years ago with a much worse roster than Jones has had to work with.

Bama has ratcheted up several notches since 2009 but the right coach on the right day can still beat Bama.

Ask Hugh Freeze.

Agreed, Freeze willing to pay as much as Nicky. You gotta pay a little more than Bama the first couple of recruiting cycles, to convince would be Bammers to flip to you...more NCAA risk here...that is what seems to have got Freeze.

Yes, he is up there with the all time greats but conceding defeat and not even trying to get to Bama's level until Saban retires is not a place anyone associated with TN should be going.

Hell man, Jones had them down late in the 4th quarter 2 years ago and it wasn't because Bama beat themselves with turnovers.

University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Football

If i were a coach, booster, whatever, i would say the same. In fact, i want us to compete. But, i am trying to be realistic

No, not necessarily "the cheap route", but definitely middle of the road, at best. There are SEC coaches that got paid more and delivered less wins this year.

UT paid Butch $4,130,000 in 2016
Butch's team won 8 Games.
UT paid about $516,250 per win.

So Butch got paid just less than the SEC average and delivered just more than the SEC average for wins. We got a bargain!

Ever how you wanna spin it bro.

There were a number of teams playing for championships and angling for major bowls today with coaches on that list in the ball park of what Jones fleeced this program for this season.

What do you mean by this?

I understand your point with Bama being the roadblock to the rest of the conference achieving championships while Saban is still employed by Bama.

UT is not poised to make hay when he quits and Bama comes back toward the field.

I understand your point with Bama being the roadblock to the rest of the conference achieving championships while Saban is still employed by Bama.

UT is not poised to make hay when he quits and Bama comes back toward the field.

Gotcha. And I agree with you.

Gotcha. And I agree with you.

I fully agree on Bama. They have distanced themselves from everyone else so far everyone else is just awaiting Sabans announcement. I just hope UT puts itself in a better position to take advantage when it happens. We don't have the guy to do that right now.

Ever how you wanna spin it bro.

There were a number of teams playing for championships and angling for major bowls today with coaches on that list in the ball park of what Jones fleeced this program for this season.

I don't think Butch is a great coach. He's mediocre as far as SEC coaches. We paid a middling salary and got what we paid for. There are coaches here in the SEC that got paid more and did less this year. There were also coaches that did better.

I guess I disagree with the arguments concerning Butch's salary. We got what we paid for, more or less. If we want a better coach, we'll have to pay for a better coach.

I don't think Butch is a great coach. He's mediocre as far as SEC coaches. We paid a middling salary and got what we paid for. There are coaches here in the SEC that got paid more and did less this year. There were also coaches that did better.

I guess I disagree with the arguments concerning Butch's salary. We got what we paid for, more or less. If we want a better coach, we'll have to pay for a better coach.

And if history holds we are not going to pay the higher salaries.

The standard for many fans isn't even to win the east, it's to just get to a bowl game. Honestly, while butch is here I...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PNc9KN50M[/youtube]

The standard for many fans isn't even to win the east, it's to just get to a bowl game. Honestly, while butch is here I...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PNc9KN50M[/youtube]

I disagree
The fans are raising hell.
Look at every thread on here.

It's the university that's the problem

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back