How good is the team Coach Caldwell will inherit?

Marshall averaged 16.3 turnovers last year, so not sure how much that will improve. The positive thing is that they turned people over 20 something times a game with their press.
For high octane run&gun offenses that is not that bad. I know a UNC men’s team coached by Roy Williams that used the run&gun one time averaged I think well over 20….

the key is the turnover differential more than just how many turnovers.

We were the only team to lose to USC by 1 point. She’s taking over an SEC Contender.
Oh how I wish that was true. We don't have a replacement for RJ or Key. We do not yet know what the ceiling is for most of our player because most of them have never been in top physical condition. Hopefully we will see the competitive nature of our players emerge with an upscaled offense and defense.

This season we ran the floor like molasses in the winter months... Some could but most couldn't. Hopefully we can amend that thru the portal... And NIL, of course... Gonna be a fun team to watch when we recruit the speedy players...
Just my opinion, most of that was lack of desire/heart, versus actual ability. That was my major frustration over specific X's and O's.

Oh how I wish that was true. We don't have a replacement for RJ or Key. We do not yet know what the ceiling is for most of our player because most of them have never been in top physical condition. Hopefully we will see the competitive nature of our players emerge with an upscaled offense and defense.
Plenty of tall players in the portal, Key can easily be replaced but not Rickea, but if we get more scoring options from players through the portal, it can balance out.

Just my opinion, most of that was lack of desire/heart, versus actual ability. That was my major frustration over specific X's and O's.
I agree the heart and desire was a huge letdown, but some players are born with it and some aren’t. We need to start bringing in those type of players, and not players that are just happy to be playing basketball.

Well TK would never play in this system…

We need mobile bigs. We’re gonna be looking closer to Uconn with Paige at 5’11 at the 4 than USC or TN

U have to look at that per possession

We were 16 in 65-70
They are 16 in 90-100
To add they were forcing over 20 while we were forcing under what we were committing. They had a positive turnover total per game while we had a negative so they were getting more possessions out of turnovers and we were getting less.

Rennia can't make a roster and Rae only got called off waivers due to half of the Sparks being out injured (status this year will be tbd, but the odds are not in her favor). So she has Horston (HS ranking #2) and Rickea (HS ranking #5) that were going to make WNBA rosters regardless of who coached them because they were both skilled and athletic before they even stepped foot on a college campus. It's not like she was able to make Jordan Walker or Tess Darby into a WNBA player because frankly no coach could.
None of her actual high school recruits are going to the W

Reactions: chuckiepoo
To add they were forcing over 20 while we were forcing under what we were committing. They had a positive turnover total per game while we had a negative so they were getting more possessions out of turnovers and we were getting less.
I’d be really interested to see what her adjustments are when the threes aren’t falling and the press isn’t getting easy baskets.

I’d be really interested to see what her adjustments are when the threes aren’t falling and the press isn’t getting easy baskets.

When you shoot 30+ 3s per game law of averages kicks in and you usually shoot about your average. Her system is 3s and layups, so the answer is that you keep shooting and live with the results.

On defense that is a better question, but the general idea is that you try to wear down the opponent with constant pressure, so you might not reap the rewards of your press until late in the 3rd quarter. Generally, I expect she would keep pressing unless our personnel simply dictates that we cannot.

When you shoot 30+ 3s per game law of averages kicks in and you usually shoot about your average. Her system is 3s and layups, so the answer is that you keep shooting and live with the results.

On defense that is a better question, but the general idea is that you try to wear down the opponent with constant pressure, so you might not reap the rewards of your press until late in the 3rd quarter. Generally, I expect she would keep pressing unless our personnel simply dictates that we cannot.
Got ya, so if we shoot our 32%. We get 30 points from 3 and the rest from layups. I can see how that could be really good when it works or really bad when it doesn’t.

For high octane run&gun offenses that is not that bad. I know a UNC men’s team coached by Roy Williams that used the run&gun one time averaged I think well over 20….

the key is the turnover differential more than just how many turnovers.
How many turnovers did we have the last three years? I doubt we have more than we have had the last three years, even with the fast break offense.

How many turnovers did we have the last three years? I doubt we have more than we have had the last three years, even with the fast break offense.
We averaged 15 turnovers per game last year, and Marshall averaged 16.3. The biggest difference is that opponents only turned the ball over 11.7 times per game against us where Marshall’s opponents averaged 24.2.

We averaged 15 turnovers per game last year, and Marshall averaged 16.3. The biggest difference is that opponents only turned the ball over 11.7 times per game against us where Marshall’s opponents averaged 24.2.
And as a few people mentioned earlier, because Marshall had so many more possessions per game than us, their turnovers per possession were significantly lower. With the SEC having better ball handlers, I wonder how this will play out here.

And as a few people mentioned earlier, because Marshall had so many more possessions per game than us, their turnovers per possession were significantly lower. With the SEC having better ball handlers, I wonder how this will play out here.
Yeah, I wonder how many times you can turnover Raven At SC, on the other hand HVL with LSU turned it over a lot. Too bad she’s gone.

I also hope we can learn to make layups if that is the other part of Caldwell’s offense. Rickea was pretty steady, but some of the others I said prayer when they had a wide open lane.

Marshall averaged 16.3 turnovers last year, so not sure how much that will improve. The positive thing is that they turned people over 20 something times a game with their press.
16.3 turnovers is 144th, Lady Vols averaged 15.0 and were 229th.

Turnover % was only 16.7% which is 63rd best. So the per game average is high, but it's also because of the pace. Lady Vols turnover % was 17.1 which is 71st best, even though they had less turnovers per game.

16.3 turnovers is 144th, Lady Vols averaged 15.0 and were 229th.

Turnover % was only 16.7% which is 63rd best. So the per game average is high, but it's also because of the pace. Lady Vols turnover % was 17.1 which is 71st best, even though they had less turnovers per game.
Yep, pace and possessions have been pointed out by VolFuture. Thanks for the info on where they stood. I hope that can be extrapolated up a level.

VN Store

Back