A&M to Big 10 rumor

But some more than others. I worked with some PSU fans in NoVa in the late 80's and 90's. Most of them had an unnatural infatuation with Paterno. It was like they thought he was actually divine.
You must hav not been around in the 70’s when Bear Bryant was coaching at Alabama.

Nebraska isn't an AAU school. They lost their accreditation the same year they joined the B10.
yeah, I thought they got approved to join before they lost it. I have yet to see any conference kick someone out, the distinction is getting in.

Reactions: onevol74
We need to rename our conference. The southeastern conference no longer applies with texas and oklahoma joining.
There is some truly profound ignorance of history and even geography on this site.

Most of Missouri is south of Lexington. Columbia and Lexington are pretty much at the same latitude. Both are culturally a blend of south and Midwest. And you know that MO has a fairly long border with TN, right?

Both Texas and Oklahoma are geographically in the southeast portion of the US. They have unique cultures that are more like the southeast than any other region. You could rightly say that all three have as much in common with Arkansas and Louisiana as Florida or SC do.

How about instead of renaming OUR conference... we simply kick out all those not IN the Southeast?
Define "southeast". Geographically, most of TX, MO, and OK are in the southeast portion of the US. Culturally, they are more similar to the southeast than other areas of the country. All were primarily settled by people who migrated from the southeast in search of land claims. Historically, TX was a confederate state, most of the Oklahoma territory sided with the south, MO was a border state like KY that had a mini-Civil War fought within its own boundaries. Most sympathies were with the south. The long running antagonism with Kansas is a remnant of Civil War hatred.

Culturally today, all three are more "southern" than Florida.

There is some truly profound ignorance of history and even geography on this site.

Most of Missouri is south of Lexington. Columbia and Lexington are pretty much at the same latitude. Both are culturally a blend of south and Midwest. And you know that MO has a fairly long border with TN, right?

Both Texas and Oklahoma are geographically in the southeast portion of the US. They have unique cultures that are more like the southeast than any other region. You could rightly say that all three have as much in common with Arkansas and Louisiana as Florida or SC do.
a small quibble, Fairly long as in 40 miles or less? Its by far our shortest border. looks to be about half as long as the next shortest.

Reactions: VolNExile
We need to rename our conference. The southeastern conference no longer applies with texas and oklahoma joining.
At least our conference knows simple math and would be able to name its conference accordingly if it used numbers, like a couple other “Big” conferences out there.

Reactions: feathersax
Define "southeast". Geographically, most of TX, MO, and OK are in the southeast portion of the US. Culturally, they are more similar to the southeast than other areas of the country. All were primarily settled by people who migrated from the southeast in search of land claims. Historically, TX was a confederate state, most of the Oklahoma territory sided with the south, MO was a border state like KY that had a mini-Civil War fought within its own boundaries. Most sympathies were with the south. The long running antagonism with Kansas is a remnant of Civil War hatred.

Culturally today, all three are more "southern" than Florida.
Texas and Okla have always been considered Southwest in my 50+ years. I would assume that SouthEAST is East of the Mississippi. But who really cares? My point being is the SEC needs to RETRACT back to the 10 schools pre-'92. This "we need the viewership" of other regions is completely fabricated BS! People will watch the best product. Period. We don't need Tejas, Okla, Mizz, Ark, A&M. They need the SEC!

Texas and Okla have always been considered Southwest in my 50+ years. I would assume that SouthEAST is East of the Mississippi. But who really cares? My point being is the SEC needs to RETRACT back to the 10 schools pre-'92. This "we need the viewership" of other regions is completely fabricated BS! People will watch the best product. Period. We don't need Tejas, Okla, Mizz, Ark, A&M. They need the SEC!
Can we name the 10 members? Are USCe and Vandy included? Do we replace them with another Florida School? What about Arkansas? Surely, not Clemson! Can't trade one SC school for another.

Here are my 10:
Ala, AU, UGA, UF, Miss, MSU, Tenn, LSU, (and two from either UK, Vandy, aTm). Arky just doesn't bring enough to be considered. I know the same could be said about Vandy, but I would choose a charter member of the SEC over Arky.

VN Store

Back