A&M to Big 10 rumor

Are they that desperate to stay away from Texas?
Tejas has been a cancer and killer of the last 3 conferences they've been a part of, going all the way back to the old Southwest Conference. Mark my words... sooner or later the SEC will regret bringing them onboard. Their perception of themselves far outweighs reality.

Are they that desperate to stay away from Texas?
Not likely. We're just in that dead period for college football where a lot of people start spreading rumors about "team leaving conference to join other major conference".

But unless a court suddenly rules all the ACC contracts as illegal, movement is likely pretty slow (if nonexistant) between the major conferences this year.

Not likely. We're just in that dead period for college football where a lot of people start spreading rumors about "team leaving conference to join other major conference".

But unless a court suddenly rules all the ACC contracts as illegal, movement is likely pretty slow (if nonexistant) between the major conferences this year.

There have been all kinds of insane realignment rumors. All of the real moves were basically not predicted into a week or so before they happened.

Reactions: onevol74
A&M Class of '79 here. MS in '81 as well.

I came to A&M from Connecticut, so I had no pre-conceived ideas about the A&M/Texas rivalry. That said, it didn't take long to realize people from the University of Texas have an arrogance that goes beyond any I've ever personally experienced. No need for examples, it just exists.

I was thrilled when A&M joined the SEC. However, in my opinion, the SEC back then is not the same SEC today. Back then, the SEC gave A&M the opportunity to free themselves from that dictatorial institution in Austin. And to be the sole representative from Texas. It's been a great ride...and regardless of what Texas said back then, we didn't need them, and haven't looked back. Now, Texas is joining the SEC, which obviously is a money grab for them and the SEC. Outside of money, I can't see the cultural fit with the SEC.

I'm surprised by all the hate on this board toward A&M. We moved to Blount County back in 2009. Two of our daughters have degrees from the University of Tennessee. All of our neighbors are UT fans...and none of them have cast any ill will toward me or A&M. In fact, my next door neighbor went to the UT/A&M football game at College Station in 2016...and said, in spite of the loss, it was a great experience.

My personal feeling...I would welcome the opportunity to join the Big 10 after Texas joins the SEC. I base that on the mere fact that Texas has a history of dictating their demands and desires in whatever conference they're in. The SEC we know and love today is gone as soon as Texas becomes a member...and it will only get worse.

I came to A&M from Connecticut, so I had no pre-conceived ideas about the A&M/Texas rivalry. That said, it didn't take long to realize people from the University of Texas have an arrogance that goes beyond any I've ever personally experienced. No need for examples, it just exists.

I was thrilled when A&M joined the SEC. However, in my opinion, the SEC back then is not the same SEC today. Back then, the SEC gave A&M the opportunity to free themselves from that dictatorial institution in Austin. And to be the sole representative from Texas. It's been a great ride...and regardless of what Texas said back then, we didn't need them, and haven't looked back. Now, Texas is joining the SEC, which obviously is a money grab for them and the SEC. Outside of money, I can't see the cultural fit with the SEC.

I'm surprised by all the hate on this board toward A&M. We moved to Blount County back in 2009. Two of our daughters have degrees from the University of Tennessee. All of our neighbors are UT fans...and none of them have cast any ill will toward me or A&M. In fact, my next door neighbor went to the UT/A&M football game at College Station in 2016...and said, in spite of the loss, it was a great experience.

My personal feeling...I would welcome the opportunity to join the Big 10 after Texas joins the SEC. I base that on the mere fact that Texas has a history of dictating their demands and desires in whatever conference they're in. The SEC we know and love today is gone as soon as Texas becomes a member...and it will only get worse.
I think a lot of the anti A&M feelings are from the portion of the fan base that can't come to grips with any expansion and want to go back to either a 10 or 13 team SEC.

I don't see Texas getting away with the same crap in the SEC that they have in the past. A 16 team SEC is not the the SWC or Big 12.

And to allow Texas to drive A&M out if the SEC just feeds their egos. Why not stick around and beat them instead of taking your ball and running away?

Please check this article out when you have a moment....

Longhorn Network

Texas is a cancer. You do everything in your power to kill cancer. I could care less what people would say if A&M left. Let them say we picked up our ball and ran away. The SEC will hopefully keep Texas in check...but believe me, they'll do their best to assert their will as it benefits them in spite of the good of the conference. It's been that way for years.

a small quibble, Fairly long as in 40 miles or less? Its by far our shortest border. looks to be about half as long as the next shortest.
Not sure how long it is... but I recently crossed it at Dyersburg on my way to Mississippi.

Anyone who truly doubts the "southern" bona fides of Missouri needs to visit Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston. We stopped there on our way back... and had hog jowls, catfish, fried okra, corn bread, turnip greens, and fried potatoes with onions.

One of the funny things about this conversation is that a lot of my north MO neighbors get asked what part of the south they're from when they meet people from further north. I've met people in southern Illinois that sounded like they were from south GA.

Please check this article out when you have a moment....

Longhorn Network

Texas is a cancer. You do everything in your power to kill cancer. I could care less what people would say if A&M left. Let them say we picked up our ball and ran away. The SEC will hopefully keep Texas in check...but believe me, they'll do their best to assert their will as it benefits them in spite of the good of the conference. It's been that way for years.

Yes, TX is a cancer and it won't be long until the SEC fans regret the conference allowing them in.

I worked in Texas for 4 yrs earlier in my career. I was neutral to the rivalry between those 2 and even attended a few games in Austin & CS. It didnt take long knowing & working with Aggies and horns that I prefered A&M fans and alums. Tx people are too much about themselves. The statement of arrogrance above is completely correct.

Aggies know what dealing with Texas in the same league is. The rest of us will learn. I doubt they would have come to the SEC if they'd known 10 years later this was the outcome. If they elect to move, I can understand. Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: KHVol

That's either giving their "dictatorial" sway too much credit, or not giving the strength of the current SEC membership schools enough credit for their ability to resist such influence from an interloper.

Football drives the bus, and the collective football prowess of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, and Ole Miss is in no way comparable to the likes of Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech and Iowa State. That shouldn't be hard to understand. The SEC doesn't need Texas .... Texas will never have as much leverage in the SEC as you seem to believe. Texas will not be a big fish in a drying up little pond anymore. They will be a big fish in the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kdbnab1
I worked in Texas for 4 yrs earlier in my career. I was neutral to the rivalry between those 2 and even attended a few games in Austin & CS. It didnt take long knowing & working with Aggies and horns that I prefered A&M fans and alums. Tx people are too much about themselves. The statement of arrogrance above is completely correct.

Aggies know what dealing with Texas in the same league is. The rest of us will learn. I doubt they would have come to the SEC if they'd known 10 years later this was the outcome. If they elect to move, I can understand. Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me.
In an either/or situation, you take Texas over Texas A&M in a heartbeat.

Let the Aggies go to the Big Ten if they want to ..... Let's see how much they enjoy having their non-revenue sports teams travel to Seattle, Washington one weekend, and then to New Brunswick, New Jersey the next. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: midnight orange
I may be proved wrong about Texas, but I'm not especially worried about them. They're a big, successful program in a conference chock full of big, successful programs. When it comes to big TV money and revenue distribution, none of us is as big as all of us. They'll be smart enough to recognize they're the beneficiary of where they are. It still wouldn't shock me if they make noise at some point about proportional revenue distribution the same way Florida State and Clemson want that from the ACC. It also wouldn't shock me if the conference response to something like that is "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

I may be proved wrong about Texas, but I'm not especially worried about them. They're a big, successful program in a conference chock full of big, successful programs. When it comes to big TV money and revenue distribution, none of us is as big as all of us. They'll be smart enough to recognize they're the beneficiary of where they are. It still wouldn't shock me if they make noise at some point about proportional revenue distribution the same way Florida State and Clemson want that from the ACC. It also wouldn't shock me if the conference response to something like that is "don't let the door hit you on the way out".
The A&M fan appears to be drawing an equivalency between schools that Texas has been a fellow conference member with in the past, and the current configuration of the SEC. That is absurd. Texas won't be dictating terms to anyone.

That's either giving their "dictatorial" sway too much credit, or not giving the strength of the current SEC membership schools enough credit for their ability to resist such influence from an interloper.

Football drives the bus, and the collective football prowess of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, and Ole Miss is in no way comparable to the likes of Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech and Iowa State. That shouldn't be hard to understand. The SEC doesn't need Texas .... Texas will never have as much leverage in the SEC as you seem to believe. Texas will not be a big fish in a drying up little pond anymore. They will be a big fish in the Atlantic Ocean.
the largest stadiums they would have played in in the Big 12 post TAMU leaving, would have been the third smallest SEC stadium. The Red River Rivalry is played on a neutral field, so it doesn't really count. I did the math at one point, and the average SEC stadium is 2x the size of the average Big 12 stadium.

the respective power of the schools is probably reflective of that. Texas is a big fish in a small pond. they are joining the big pond now. and none of our schools are tied back to Texas where their alum are making decisions.

I have no doubt they will try to do something, and do some small stuff like releasing their schedules a whole day early, but nothing that is going to matter.

the largest stadiums they would have played in in the Big 12 post TAMU leaving, would have been the third smallest SEC stadium. The Red River Rivalry is played on a neutral field, so it doesn't really count. I did the math at one point, and the average SEC stadium is 2x the size of the average Big 12 stadium.

the respective power of the schools is probably reflective of that. Texas is a big fish in a small pond. they are joining the big pond now. and none of our schools are tied back to Texas where their alum are making decisions.

I have no doubt they will try to do something, and do some small stuff like releasing their schedules a whole day early, but nothing that is going to matter.
.... and I tend to doubt that Texas A&M will leave the SEC. Making such a move just to get away from Texas, would be cutting off their nose to spot their face.

Reactions: KHVol
especially as their reasoning was the money side of things. Texas will be paid the same amount as Vandy is here in the SEC.
... and what a disadvantage they would put themselves in when recruiting against Texas, Oklahoma, LSU and Arkansas for in-state recruits, who will much prefer playing in the SEC rather than the Big Ten.

Texas was a big dog in their previous conferences because the rest of the teams are nobodies. They are in the SEC now. Here they are just another team.
The sooner they understand that the better. I know they went to the CFP last year and they beat Bama in Tuscaloosa, you can’t take away from that, but they’ve been largely inconsistent for over a decade. They seem to always drop a few that they shouldn’t in the Big 12. They won’t be able to take a couple of weeks off here or there like they did w/ Kansas or Baylor. If I were to pick a trap game for them this season, Kentucky coming to Austin before the aTm game could be that game.

For those wanting to rename the conference - southeastern is still applicable if the country is just north / south and east / west.

It is the ACC that has a big problem with the name and the Big 10 which has more than 10 schools.

There is some truly profound ignorance of history and even geography on this site.

Most of Missouri is south of Lexington. Columbia and Lexington are pretty much at the same latitude. Both are culturally a blend of south and Midwest. And you know that MO has a fairly long border with TN, right?

Both Texas and Oklahoma are geographically in the southeast portion of the US. They have unique cultures that are more like the southeast than any other region. You could rightly say that all three have as much in common with Arkansas and Louisiana as Florida or SC do.
Kentucky is only midwestern in 3 counties+Louisville. Missouri is midwestern in a complete half of the state. Big difference.

VN Store

Back