AJ Johnson Situation Updates(News and Links only - No Discussion)

Brent Hubbs has indicated the investigation has closed and the DA has the report. The DA is going to turn to the grand jury for review of the report and let the GJ decide on potential charges. The earliest the GJ can get information is Tuesday. They only meet once a week on Tuesday's.

Reactions: 8 people
Jimmy Hyams@JimmyHyams 1h1 hour ago
As we reported last wk, Knoxville PD hasn't finished investigative file on rape allegations against UT players AJ Johnson and Mike Williams.

Thanks Jimmy...

Reactions: 3 people
per reports the grand jury did not get case today. they may get it later in week. due to a heavy back log of cases the grand jury will continue to meet this week through Thursday

Reactions: 7 people
Jimmy Hyams@JimmyHyams 39m39 minutes ago
KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk: KPD hopes to complete rape allegation investigation v. 2 UT FB players next week, then send it to DA's office

Jimmy Hyams@JimmyHyams 36m36 minutes ago
KPD file not complete in part because still transcribing tape from interviewing 20-25 witness or others with knowledge of alleged incident

This is very interesting... it seems 4 people were directly involved based on what we have heard. Would interviewing 20-25 people be normal?

Jimmy Hyams@JimmyHyams 39m39 minutes ago
KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk: KPD hopes to complete rape allegation investigation v. 2 UT FB players next week, then send it to DA's office

Jimmy Hyams@JimmyHyams 36m36 minutes ago
KPD file not complete in part because still transcribing tape from interviewing 20-25 witness or others with knowledge of alleged incident

This is very interesting... it seems 4 people were directly involved based on what we have heard. Would interviewing 20-25 people be normal?

Hubbs also put out a report that the investigative report has still not made it to the DA. Grand Jury not expected to get the case before next week now.

I was wondering about the trial dates the other day. Seems crazy that AJ's trial date is for next summer. I don't know if his defense wanted it that long or what, but that seems awfully long for both the alleged victim and alleged assailant to wait for a trial.

I was wondering about the trial dates the other day. Seems crazy that AJ's trial date is for next summer. I don't know if his defense wanted it that long or what, but that seems awfully long for both the alleged victim and alleged assailant to wait for a trial.

Gonna spoil this explanation, but I'd say many are curious about this as well:

Not a lawyer, but I come from a family/circle very versed in law, my father's best friend is currently a judge, one of my mother's best friends is a former D.A. and practices currently, and I used to watch children for a public defender with over 25 years experience. All are huge UT fans, two are UT grads even and one a former UT football player, and this case has been something that I actually asked them about extensively when it started up (especially being in college and at UT it's good to know your rights/worries/etc. with parties and what is considered a crime or not these days)

They all essentially said the same thing. With a case like this that is high on emotions and very time sensitive evidence, the longer it lasts the better it is for the defendant. It has nothing to do with innocence or guilt, but the fact they didn't have very concrete evidence when it first happened one way or the other, the fact they have interviewed so many people, and the fact it keeps getting pushed back (regardless of reasons, if a D.A. or a court truly wants to see a case they will 100% make it happen), the better it is for A.J. as far as this reaching a level of reasonable guilt.

Naturally, none of us were there and nobody outside of the people involved will ever know what truly happened that night, and at this stage with it having been over a year ago even the people involved remember it differently than it truly happened, so there is no use defending one side or the other. However, the longer this goes on, the more likely it becomes they don't have enough evidence, and my off handed informed opinion is that A.J. will probably be found not guilty based on the way the courts are acting with it.

This is of course not counting if the D.A. offers a plea of some kind, because sometimes a plea of something smaller that can be taken right now and expunged at a later date is far more enticing than being found not guilty after having racked up a mortgage in lawyer and court fees, which a high profile case of this would most certainly accrue.

tl:dr

The longer a case like this goes the better for the defendant normally

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry to not update the other thread, felt like this was some pretty groundbreaking news. If it's not so groundbreaking, feel free to merge :hi:

The Knoxville Police Department interviewed on camera the accuser and various witnesses, including three women with ties to her. Those interviews revealed the accuser had been texting Johnson leading up to the night in question and that the only eyewitness to what was going on inside Johnson’s bedroom just before the encounter sent text messages while still in the room.

Both women later claimed problems with their phones led them to ditch the phones and get new ones. The defense has accused them of intentionally destroying evidence. Prosecutors deny that.

Tampering with evidence? Of course not.

Read more: Here

VN Store

Back