Any news or rumors about the staff?

DW: Hey Coach *insert several names previously mentioned*. We need a head coach and weā€™re paying $700-1mil per year. IF we offered you the job would you be interested?
Coach: No thanks, Iā€™m ok.

Media: So you fired your coach after her worst season (4th in the best conference in basketball). Did you offer the job to anyone else with more than 1 year of D1 experience?
DW: ^Yeah we never ā€œofferedā€ the job to anyone else. Go Kim!

Itā€™s kind of like dating in college when I was at UT lol.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Let me put it this way: the people they interviewed or were interested in and turned down interviews were much more big time than Caldwell with much more D1 success or coaching experience. Walz, Rueck, Gottlieb, Wes Moore, Cori Close. Even Kara would've been a better hire, most likely, but she turned down an interview.

The fact that you only think there are three big time coaches in WBB doesn't mean I'm making stuff up. šŸ¤” But thanks for the lecture, person that's been here for three weeks.
Kara was offered a courtesy interview.

Let me put it this way: the people they interviewed or were interested in and turned down interviews were much more big time than Caldwell with much more D1 success or coaching experience. Walz, Rueck, Gottlieb, Wes Moore, Cori Close. Even Kara would've been a better hire, most likely, but she turned down an interview.

The fact that you only think there are three big time coaches in WBB doesn't mean I'm making stuff up. šŸ¤” But thanks for the lecture, person that's been here for three weeks.
How do you know who was interviewed?

Reactions: glv98
All the people I mentioned were contacted. I was told Kara, Walz, Rueck, Gottlieb, Moore and Close all said no. I don't know if they even got as far as an interview or not, TBH, but I would imagine not. I do know Kara turned down an interview. I don't know that it matters because they are not here in the end, anyway.

The fact that we couldn't even get Rueck here with the Pac-12 falling apart really says a lot. This job isn't desirable anymore, hence the coach we wound up getting. It is what it is. We should've done a coaching search when Pat retired and we would be in a much different situation than we are right now, most likely. Now, whether anyone wants to believe it or not, the program is a shell of its former self, which I saw coming a mile away when we hired Holly.
Who told you? A donor told me that Lara was offered a courtesy interview. My guess is that she turned it down because she didnā€™t want a second rejection.

Miss St added another assistant coach today. Interesting, I wonder if this has anything to do with Coach Gabe potentially leaving or were they already looking to fill a spot?

If there is one lesson to takeaway from the last month or so, I suggest it should be ā€œdon't trust insiders". I would suggest actual insiders do not show up on VolNation to drop "secrets" in a public forum. It seems most insider info is just people dressing up their own personal theories or stuff they have picked up through rumor mills.

When it comes to the search process, no organization introduces a key hire with the phrase, " let us warmly welcome our 5th choice!!!".

White has every incentive to suggest that CKC was his top choice all along and the other contacts were just to go through the motions. Whether that is the case or not, we may never know for sure.

Last edited:
Have you shared this w AD DW? He's the one who said there would winning and competing for championships next year.
His quote said the players want to win this year. We. Ever played on a Championship team? I remember a seniors only vote that disqualified a senior team running back that tried to come back after missing spring training to work to help raise his baby. Sucked. He was my best friend.

DW: Hey Coach *insert several names previously mentioned*. We need a head coach and weā€™re paying $700-1mil per year. IF we offered you the job would you be interested?
Coach: No thanks, Iā€™m ok.

Media: So you fired your coach after her worst season (4th in the best conference in basketball). Did you offer the job to anyone else with more than 1 year of D1 experience?
DW: ^Yeah we never ā€œofferedā€ the job to anyone else. Go Kim!

Itā€™s kind of like dating in college when I was at UT lol.
Is that what ā€œsoliciting prostitutionā€ was called in that era?

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
I have sources that I keep sealed but realize the P5 assistants that Coach Caldwell adds to her staff may or may not have former head coach experience. They could be former assistants with experience and/or coaches coming out of retirement.
We do not need a SC coach.. there are plenty options for the most iconic WBB in the SEC!
Lets gošŸŠ!
Andy?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
If there is one lesson to takeaway from the last month or so, I suggest it should "don't trust insiders". I would suggest actual insiders do not show up on VolNation to drop "secrets" in public. It seems most insider info is just people dressing up their own personal theories or stuff they have picked up through rumor mills.
Thank you for this dose of common sense.

We have had our share of pretenders and posers. Their predictions have been about as accurate as those of fans honest enough to tell us that they are offering educated guesses.

I have sources that I keep sealed but realize the P5 assistants that Coach Caldwell adds to her staff may or may not have former head coach experience. They could be former assistants with experience and/or coaches coming out of retirement.
We do not need a SC coach.. there are plenty options for the most iconic WBB in the SEC!
Lets gošŸŠ!
Andy?
I'm told that when Caldwell was a teen growing up in the hollows of West Virginia, she slept under a framed photo of General Neyland. It's....destiny!
IMG_5221.jpeg

thatā€™s not even close to being true

It is true. And if youā€™re saying that Caldwell was his first choice ā€” which wasnā€™t the case ā€” then that would be way worse. But thankfully for him that isnā€™t how it went. But getting rid of Kellie to hire Marshallā€™s HC is incomprehensible.

So you're just making stuff up because you're mad that Kellie got fired

Iā€™m not mad Kellie got fired, Iā€™m mad she got fired without a good replacement. I didnā€™t support her hire back in 2019. She never would have had the job here if she wasnā€™t an alum. However, it seems she probably deserved a little bit more from DW. Getting fired and being replaced with a coach with one year of D1 coaching experience is a major slap in the face.

Iā€™m not making anything up. Yā€™all can believe what you want to believe. Iā€™m not losing any sleep over it either way. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

It is true. And if youā€™re saying that Caldwell was his first choice ā€” which wasnā€™t the case ā€” then that would be way worse. But thankfully for him that isnā€™t how it went. But getting rid of Kellie to hire Marshallā€™s HC is incomprehensible.
Yet most of us have no problem understanding it.

Iā€™m not mad Kellie got fired, Iā€™m mad she got fired without a good replacement. I didnā€™t support her hire back in 2019. She never would have had the job here if she wasnā€™t an alum. However, it seems she probably deserved a little bit more from DW. Getting fired and being replaced with a coach with one year of D1 coaching experience is a major slap in the face.

Iā€™m not making anything up. Yā€™all can believe what you want to believe. Iā€™m not losing any sleep over it either way. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
If Caldwell outperforms her, would she qualify as a ā€œgood replacementā€? Acknowledging itā€™s undetermined at this point, but stating the opposite is also unproven.

Some did develop and some didn't apparently like or decide to apply teaching. Thanks for bringing up the past negativity(blue font).
And some just reached the ceiling of their talent. Very few don't "like or decide to apply teaching". Why would they? Of course they want to get better and play. Such an odd notion.
His quote said the players want to win this year. We. Ever played on a Championship team? I remember a seniors only vote that disqualified a senior team running back that tried to come back after missing spring training to work to help raise his baby. Sucked. He was my best friend.
He promised the players this hire was putting them in position to win next year, not on a 2, 3, 4 yr plan. Which I think was a very irresponsible thing for him to do.
What if Sam ends up at Mississippi Stateā€¦ they have an opening
Could happen. She worked with Sam Purcell at Louisville

VN Store

Back